PDA

View Full Version : Realy and Fuse box potential problem

bobnaquin
03-16-2013, 09:51 AM
I was out riding down a rough road the other day on Spyder #104. I stopped at a small resort and there was a munchkin there that wanted a ride. When I went to start my Spyder there was no action when I hit the starter switch. All insturments and lights seemed normal but no starter motor. This is a problem I had not experienced in two spyders and 56k miles of riding

So I got into the Fuse and Relay box and pulled out and reset all four relays. The Spyder started as it should.

When I got home I thought I would add some more foam to the cover of the relay box so that the relays would stay seated more firmly. But I discovered that the front latch of the relay box cover would not latch. The rear one clicks into position as it should. I probably spent about two hours trying to figure out why the front one won't latch. I tried it with all of the relays out, I miked out the cover, I put putty in the latch catch to see what was going on there. I could not figure it out, but I am no mechanical genious. Filing it in 'the life is too short to mess with' category I made some belts for the relay cover out of tie wraps. They hold the cover in place and are easily slid out of the way when I need to get into the relay box.

Hopefully this may help someone else. Being an early production model I may have one of the only ones with this problem but while you are fiddling around, you may want to check to make sure your relay box cover is clipped in both fore and aft.

Chupaca
03-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Have heard of this problem with the relays/fuses and recently saw a fellow ryder hop off his bike pop the frunk pull the fuse box cover replace it and magic the bike started and off we went. Will check and see if your solution will work for him. Thanks...:2thumbs:

oldgoat
03-16-2013, 07:58 PM
Last week I found out that my front latch did not catch either. No matter how hard I pushed. I put a zip tie around the box/cover assembly & pulled it tight.
I now carry some side cutters & a few spare zip ties with me.

MikeinGA
03-16-2013, 08:14 PM
I was out riding down a rough road the other day on Spyder #104. I stopped at a small resort and there was a munchkin there that wanted a ride. When I went to start my Spyder there was no action when I hit the starter switch. All insturments and lights seemed normal but no starter motor. This is a problem I had not experienced in two spyders and 56k miles of riding

So I got into the Fuse and Relay box and pulled out and reset all four relays. The Spyder started as it should.

When I got home I thought I would add some more foam to the cover of the relay box so that the relays would stay seated more firmly. But I discovered that the front latch of the relay box cover would not latch. The rear one clicks into position as it should. I probably spent about two hours trying to figure out why the front one won't latch. I tried it with all of the relays out, I miked out the cover, I put putty in the latch catch to see what was going on there. I could not figure it out, but I am no mechanical genious. Filing it in 'the life is too short to mess with' category I made some belts for the relay cover out of tie wraps. They hold the cover in place and are easily slid out of the way when I need to get into the relay box.

Hopefully this may help someone else. Being an early production model I may have one of the only ones with this problem but while you are fiddling around, you may want to check to make sure your relay box cover is clipped in both fore and aft.

There was a post over a year ago like yours. I carry some foam, zip ties, repair kit for the radiator plastic tank, tire repair kit, 12 vlot air compressor, can of tire stop leak, duct tape, tools, flash light, oil, water, first aid kit, and rags. Whats on your list?

Mike

oldgoat
03-17-2013, 08:06 AM
There was a post over a year ago like yours. I carry some foam, zip ties, repair kit for the radiator plastic tank, tire repair kit, 12 vlot air compressor, can of tire stop leak, duct tape, tools, flash light, oil, water, first aid kit, and rags. Whats on your list?

Mike

:agree: A man after my own heart.

Bob Denman
03-17-2013, 08:50 AM

Mike

Since I'm not too handy :opps:; I carry a cellphone and a credit card! :D

But your list looks like a lot of ways to dig out of trouble! :thumbup:

bobnaquin
03-17-2013, 09:48 AM

Mike
What does your radiator repair kit look like or consist of?