PDA

View Full Version : New Mod-- Utopia Back rest

carajony
03-14-2013, 09:07 PM
I installed my utopia back rest today... Wasnt that hard to install. Now putting seat back was a pain.. Got the seat in good the first time without letting the square thingys fall in the cracks.. After I put it back I stand back at amazement and look at the floor and saw I forgot to put in one of the metal round sleeves that the bolt goes thru... so had to take it all off again,,, After putting in the sleeve I tried putting on the first bolt and guess what... yes.. it fell down in the holes... a little patience and some cursing I was able to pull it out with a magnetic antenna.... Phew,, glad it was the metal bolt and not the plastic square thingys...lol... all done and went on a 5 hour ride... wow... what a difference... I love it... few pics to show.. Highly recommended..

2ndChildhood
03-14-2013, 09:20 PM
I do that all the time. After I am done installing a mod, then I fine spare parts. Then I have to start over looking for where the spares belong.

ToM
SpyderFest 2013

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SpyderAnn01
03-14-2013, 10:09 PM
You must not have read any of the threads on removing the seat. The first suggestion is to tape all the openings so that you don't lose parts. :roflblack: Glad you were able to retrieve it. I really want a backrest but just need to come up with the cash for one. Then I will fret over cutting the hole in the seat.

ARtraveler
03-14-2013, 10:17 PM
I really liked the way the Utopia back rest looks and feels. I had one installed on my RT before I drove it home for the first time. Then I found out I could not bear the OEM seat as it was way to soft for me.

I ended up going to a Corbin seat and Corbin backrest within the first 500 miles.

Very sorry Ann: I would make a real good deal with you for the backrest--but it is on the premier edition stitched seat, and I want that to go with the RT when and if I ever sell it.

Bob Denman
03-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Save all of your spare parts; eventually you'll be able to build another Spyder! :thumbup:
Glad to hear that the Utopia is a winner! :D

carajony
03-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Yeah... Im just one of those guys that gets a new toy and wants to play first without reading the instructions... lol... Im glad it wasnt worse.. I was a little nervous when I was going to cut the hole but reading the directions (lol) and looking at the pics on the directions it wasnt hard or bad... Done alot of things to the spyder that I have never done before.. couple mistakes but nothing bad... well off to a nice ride with the wifey... gotta put some miles on her spyder...

BikerDoc
03-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Nearly 50000 miles ridden with Utopia backrest now. It was clearly the best money I ever spent on the Spyder.

Bob Denman
03-15-2013, 09:59 AM
:shocked: Cutting holes in the seat... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_1.gif I think that I'll step away from this one; the potential for disaster is just too real! :roflblack:

ARtraveler
03-15-2013, 02:19 PM
I let my dealer cut the holes in mine. Probably not to smart for me to have it put on the Premier Edition stitched seat though. Now I have probably ruined the full resale value of my genuine PE #474 RT. :roflblack::(

Bob Denman
03-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Well okay... How about if I just swap you an unaltered, non-PE seat for the one that you ruined?? :shocked: :roflblack: :joke::joke::joke:

ARtraveler
03-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Nice try :roflblack:--but the seat and Utopia will go with the RT if I decide to sell or trade it.

krazykat
03-15-2013, 04:27 PM
By the way, Utopia now has the matching vinyl for new Dark Chocolate Seat on 2013 white RT Limited. I sent them the stock backrest off my dark chocolate seat and they matched it up very nicely.

Cruzr Joe
03-15-2013, 05:23 PM
By the way, Utopia now has the matching vinyl for new Dark Chocolate Seat on 2013 white RT Limited. I sent them the stock backrest off my dark chocolate seat and they matched it up very nicely.

What back rest is available for the stock seat on a 2012 RT Ltd? Utopia?? :dontknow:

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
03-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Nice try :roflblack:--but the seat and Utopia will go with the RT if I decide to sell or trade it.
YOu know me: always trying to help out a friend... ;) :roflblack:

krazykat
03-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Sure, Utopia has the colors for all pre-2013 stock seats........;)

Cruzr Joe
03-15-2013, 05:41 PM
I installed my utopia back rest today... Wasnt that hard to install. Now putting seat back was a pain.. Got the seat in good the first time without letting the square thingys fall in the cracks.. After I put it back I stand back at amazement and look at the floor and saw I forgot to put in one of the metal round sleeves that the bolt goes thru... so had to take it all off again,,, After putting in the sleeve I tried putting on the first bolt and guess what... yes.. it fell down in the holes... a little patience and some cursing I was able to pull it out with a magnetic antenna.... Phew,, glad it was the metal bolt and not the plastic square thingys...lol... all done and went on a 5 hour ride... wow... what a difference... I love it... few pics to show.. Highly recommended..

help me out here, was that the 225.00 one or the 285.00 one? what is the difference?

Cruzr Joe

carajony
03-15-2013, 05:50 PM
I got the $225 one... Its almost exact as the stock seat... The only difference which you really do not notice unless you are looking for it is that the sides on the passenger back rest and I believe the top portion of the small back rest lip for driver has a different material. The stitching is all the same. I will try to take a closer photo tom and post the difference... I couldnt tell you about the material on the $285 one.. Prob has the same material I was talking about...

Cruzr Joe
03-15-2013, 05:54 PM
I got the $225 one... Its almost exact as the stock seat... The only difference which you really do not notice unless you are looking for it is that the sides on the passenger back rest and I believe the top portion of the small back rest lip for driver has a different material. The stitching is all the same. I will try to take a closer photo tom and post the difference... I couldnt tell you about the material on the $285 one.. Prob has the same material I was talking about...

you answered my question, that seat back looks great, did the passenger have any problems with it? did the case on the back come with it or extra. thanks for your great help

Cruzr Joe

carajony
03-15-2013, 06:30 PM
The wifey is thin... well she has her own spyder...lol... kids fit perfect... I havent put anyone my size.. u know husky...lol.. It leans forward so the passenger can get in and out easily.. I really dont think it will be a prob for most people.. If you are referring to the pouch on the back of the backrest. It came with it... no extra charge.. It can be removed.... One thing I noticed today.. I guess it would be my neg point.. Not that bad but now it keeps tilting forward. I have it at the farthest point where I can lean back more... I can adjust it forward a whole bunch but thats uncomfortable to me... When I go to sit on the spyder I have to hold it back or else I will sit on it... Dont know if you know what I mean... Will take photos tom and post... Still no complaints on the ride... very supportive and feels great.. Back doesnt hurt after a long ride..

Cruzr Joe
03-15-2013, 06:53 PM
The wifey is thin... well she has her own spyder...lol... kids fit perfect... I havent put anyone my size.. u know husky...lol.. It leans forward so the passenger can get in and out easily.. I really dont think it will be a prob for most people.. If you are referring to the pouch on the back of the backrest. It came with it... no extra charge.. It can be removed.... One thing I noticed today.. I guess it would be my neg point.. Not that bad but now it keeps tilting forward. I have it at the farthest point where I can lean back more... I can adjust it forward a whole bunch but thats uncomfortable to me... When I go to sit on the spyder I have to hold it back or else I will sit on it... Dont know if you know what I mean... Will take photos tom and post... Still no complaints on the ride... very supportive and feels great.. Back doesnt hurt after a long ride..

Thanks

Chupaca
03-15-2013, 07:33 PM
I do that all the time. After I am done installing a mod, then I fine spare parts. Then I have to start over looking for where the spares belong.

ToM
SpyderFest 2013

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So that's why we all have a spare parts box....:roflblack: