PDA

View Full Version : "Carbon Fiber" vinyl

Ron Parks
03-13-2013, 08:36 PM
I looked at the two vertical panels on the nose of my yellow ST-S and began wondering about rock chips. So I found some vinyl that looks like carbon fiber to apply there, both to look good and to avoid rock chips. My first attempt ended up wrinkled, but I will try again later. I think it improves the looks of the bike.

I have been to the dealer and he removed my botched attempt and replaced it with some better quality vinyl "carbon fiber", and it turned out great. I think it improves the look of the nose of the bike, and of course there will be no rock chips.

Frank G
03-13-2013, 09:13 PM
I looked at the two vertical panels on the nose of my yellow ST-S and began wondering about rock chips. So I found some vinyl that looks like carbon fiber to apply there, both to look good and to avoid rock chips. My first attempt ended up wrinkled, but I will try again later. I think it improves the looks of the bike.

Most carbon fiber Vinyl is non-conformable. For simple curves only! I will look tomorrow and see what is available. Give it a pull and see if you can stretch it. If it won't stretch it won't work on compound curves.

Chupaca
03-13-2013, 11:08 PM
I found some rolls of carbon fiber tape 6"wide don't remember how long but it will bend in any direction you want. You can even wrap around objects.. :thumbup:

MMMII
03-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Rock chips are the worst. I can see repainting of my frunk hood happening in 12 months.

weapon
03-14-2013, 07:55 AM
3M makes a carbon fiber vinyl that is for vehicle wraps. It conforms. Sometimes you need to add some heat from a hair dryer.
If you are using regular vinyl I recommend spraying the sticky side with water with a drop of dish soap in it. Again heat will help it conform.
Good luck.
Let's see some pics when you are done.

Frank G
03-14-2013, 08:04 AM
Checked my sources this morning. There are now carbon fiber pattern Vinyls available in several colors specifically designed for vehicle wraps. (conformable) Don't know what you have, but hope this helps. Check with Spyder Wraps Pete, He may have some. It is Pricey. I think he may also have pre cut kits for the front of the Spyder.

Frank

Glass City Sign Supply