PDA

View Full Version : Riding position

LaughingHeart
04-20-2008, 01:07 PM
I have been riding double with my husband for over 20 years, and have loved it!! Then I rode a Spyder demo and I was hooked. I got her in December and wasn't able to ride until recently - we live in Minnesota and we've had a WINTER. I am having a ball riding her. I do have one difficulty, though. I am 4'10" tall with arms that match. Even though we put in the riser block, I have to lean forward a lot to reach the bars. That position in hard on my wrists and lower back. I am also 65 and my body doesn't like that position. Is there any way to bring the bars closer to me? I would appreciate any ideas!

Lamonster
04-21-2008, 08:04 AM
:welcome:

Matt at Kewlmetal is working on a bar setup that might be what you need.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/smf/index.php?topic=733.msg5981#msg5981

Last Spyder
04-21-2008, 08:19 AM
I went to the site and they were talking about the Air Shock. Nothing about the Handle bars. Is there still going to be the handle bars. I like that ride position.

Lamonster
04-21-2008, 08:31 AM
I went to the site and they were talking about the Air Shock. Nothing about the Handle bars. Is there still going to be the handle bars. I like that ride position.

If you look at the pictures you can see the bars they used.

Mad Matt
04-21-2008, 09:48 AM

We are working on the handle bar setup. The bars you see in the picture are just some ATV handle bars that were available at the time and the kewlmetal handle bar cover/center console is not shown yet. The final package will include pull back bars and a new center cover piece that will house the ignition just like the stock handle bar cover. The kewlmetal cover will also incorporate a GPS mount and an XM radio/universal gizmo mount, and a cup holder. The Kewlmetal center cover will allow the use of many 7/8 diameter handle bars or the Kewlmetal bars we will be making. The advantage of the pull back bars is that you can adjust them forward and back to suit yourself after you install them on the bike. With the BRP riser, you only get one position, and it won't be back far enough for alot of folks. The Kewlmetal setup is also more versatile in that you will have a choice of bars with different offsets. I will be posting the completed setup here in a few weeks, all the prototype parts are in fabrication.

Mad Matt

http://www.chromegarage.com/pics/matt/001/CIMG5836a.jpg

LaughingHeart
04-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Mad Matt,

Looks like you are the answer to my prayer!!!! The new bars sound fab. I'll be watching for them.

Winnie

bjt
04-21-2008, 05:38 PM
... The kewlmetal cover will also incorporate a GPS mount and an XM radio/universal gizmo mount, and a cup holder...

Mad Matt

I like the sounds of that. The stock handlebars are fine for me but I am still searching for a possible alternate GPS mount and I am sure I could find something to stick on a universal gizmo mount.

Danimal
04-22-2008, 04:03 PM
I would rather see an adjustable 'riser plate' system leaving the current Spyder bars and center with plaque alone. Regular bike bars on a Spyder just looks cheesy in my opinion.

Smylinacha
04-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Matt - please let me know when you are selling these bars - I am used to my Harley and this would give me a little more reach. Hey, any chance you can make me a set of blacked out Mini apes?

matusky
05-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Oddly enough, after reading everyone's complaints on here about riding position.......... especially the taller guys that are 6' plus saying they needed more than the 1" the riser block allows........ I'm 6'1" tall and I feel the stock setup fits me perfect....... am I just different than everyone else or something?

NancysToy
05-09-2008, 07:26 AM
Oddly enough, after reading everyone's complaints on here about riding position.......... especially the taller guys that are 6' plus saying they needed more than the 1" the riser block allows........ I'm 6'1" tall and I feel the stock setup fits me perfect....... am I just different than everyone else or something?

I'm 6'0", and it is the most comfortable motorcycle I've ridden. The 1" riser seems perfect for me. My 5'2" wife has to stretch, but she would for anything, especially with these wide handlebars.
-Scotty

bjt
05-09-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm 6'0", and it is the most comfortable motorcycle I've ridden. The 1" riser seems perfect for me...
-Scotty

+1

I am 6'4" and I find the riding position with the 1" riser to be very comfortable. With the added highway pegs, I can get at least 2 or 3 different leg positions to give me a little variety for the long haul.