PDA

View Full Version : Spyder ST SE5 stall

pricemc1
03-13-2013, 08:15 AM
This morning I was riding my week old 2013 Spyder ST Limited down the road and the bike stalled out. I was going about 15-20 mph and all of a sudden the engine just cut out and the oil light went on. I tried to immediately hit the starter button and it would not start. The bike was in first gear at the time. I tried to down-shift to Neutral thinking it may need to be in Neutral to start the bike. I pulled the shifter paddle and the bike did not appear to shift down to Neutral. Finally after about 5-10 seconds of coasting and hitting the start button a couple of more times the bike started up again. The bike didnt seem to throw any alerts or warnings on the main display at any time during the event. I road for an additional 5 miles or so after the stall and it didn't happen again. This is my second Spyder but my first time owning one with the SE5 semi-auto transmission.

I was wondering if any other ST or 2013 model-year owners had seen this issue so far or if anyone could think of any rider-induced reasons that might cause a semi-auto to stall out?

Thanks,
pricemc1

CyncySpyder
03-13-2013, 08:52 AM
We don't have an ST nor a 2013 model, but we DO have an SE5 & LOVE IT!!! One word of caution with the SE5's is that they can be very sensitive to oil level. On our 2010 RT-S, if we were the slightest bit below the full line, we'd get intermittent shifting issues where it would seem to miss a shift every now and then. Once we realized this, & kept it close to the full line, our shifting issues went away. Not saying this IS or ISN'T your issue, but it can't hurt for you to check your oil level & do it by the book, with the engine heated up like after a good 20 or 30 minute ryde as a cold level will show low on the stick & could cause you to overfill, which isn't a good thing either. I just mention this, cause you stated that the OIL LIGHT came on, but I'm guessing that may happen reguardless of the actual issue, if the byke cuts out like you stated. Can't hurt to check, and please let us know if you find the actual cause. :dontknow:

BikerDoc
03-13-2013, 10:19 AM
It is possible to throw error codes without the screen going orange. I had a similar experience on my 2012 RT Ltd & when I pulle.d error cods there were five episodes of the same error code although the stall out only happened twice. Mine was a sensor iissue check the error codes

billybovine
03-13-2013, 10:28 AM
This morning I was riding my week old 2013 Spyder ST Limited down the road and the bike stalled out. I was going about 15-20 mph and all of a sudden the engine just cut out and the oil light went on. I tried to immediately hit the starter button and it would not start. The bike was in first gear at the time. I tried to down-shift to Neutral thinking it may need to be in Neutral to start the bike. I pulled the shifter paddle and the bike did not appear to shift down to Neutral. Finally after about 5-10 seconds of coasting and hitting the start button a couple of more times the bike started up again. The bike didnt seem to throw any alerts or warnings on the main display at any time during the event. I road for an additional 5 miles or so after the stall and it didn't happen again. This is my second Spyder but my first time owning one with the SE5 semi-auto transmission.

I was wondering if any other ST or 2013 model-year owners had seen this issue so far or if anyone could think of any rider-induced reasons that might cause a semi-auto to stall out?

Thanks,
pricemc1

Lets start by saying I don't know why your Spyder stalled but I can explain some of your questions. When the engine stalls the oil pressure light will come because the oil pump is powered by the engine. When the engine is not running the oil pump is not pumping no oil pressure. The SE5 trans uses pressurised oil to shift gears. The pressurised oil comes from an oil pump driven by the engine. If the engine stalls the oil pump is not turning, no oil pressure, can't shift gears. Your Spyder will only start in gear when your foot is pressing brake pedal. You have to pull over and apply the brake before the starter will operate. I had my 09GS stall like that once, could not find a cause and it never happened again.

jerpinoy
03-13-2013, 12:23 PM
First of all:welcome: It also happened to me but realize later was my luck of understanding of my new:spyder2:. Found all the answers here and on my owners manual. Good luck and hope everything will be

ok and enjoy.:yes::yes:

NancysToy
03-13-2013, 12:33 PM
It should not stall like that. As was said, the oil pressure light is because the engine was not running but the key was on. The problem with restarting might have been because it was in gear and you were not pressing the brake. If it would not even turn over you may have accidentally bumped the kill switch, or the switch could be faulty. The incident may have left a fault code behind, but the owner can only call up active codes on the display. Your dealer can search for clues via BUDS. I recommend that you visit him if it happens again.

Ron Parks
03-13-2013, 08:31 PM
I have just 650 miles on my ST-S SE5. Two times ago, when I arrived home, as I was sitting in the driveway waiting for the garage door to rise, it suddenly stalled. I worried it might be a problem with the electronic key, and so the next time I carried the spare in my pocket just in case. It re-started normally, and has not stopped since then. It wouldn't be a cool thing to be tooling down the freeway and suddenly have it stop, thus losing your power steering, too. I will be going in for the Break In Service in a week or so, and will ask Service to look for a code related to the stoppage. The trunk lid was balky about opening, and the dealer managed to put an 8 inch crack down the center of it trying to get it sorted out. At first service they have a replacement for me.

Ambria56
03-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Just picked up my 2013 ST Limited on Saturday. Even though the weather stinks here in Ohio -- my husband took it out for short ride to gas station. Said he was at the stoplight and it just stopped. Don't know if there were any lights on or not, but I rode it and pulled to side of road and just sitting there it quit again. Guess I will address this issue when I take it in for 600 mile service in Columbus. Anybody else got a clue what's going on?Thanks

NancysToy
03-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Just picked up my 2013 ST Limited on Saturday. Even though the weather stinks here in Ohio -- my husband took it out for short ride to gas station. Said he was at the stoplight and it just stopped. Don't know if there were any lights on or not, but I rode it and pulled to side of road and just sitting there it quit again. Guess I will address this issue when I take it in for 600 mile service in Columbus. Anybody else got a clue what's going on?Thanks

:welcome: Sorry about the teething problems. There are lots of possibilities, so seeing your dealer would be best. Loose battery terminals (at the battery itself behind the trunk, not at the jumper terminals) is the most common cause. Dealer setup isn't always as good as it should be. Bad plug wires, faulty DESS module, water in the kill switch, or a number of other causes would also be possible, although they are not common.

Bob Denman
03-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Scotty,
This wouldn't be indicative of somebody riding the brake pedal; would it?
Or does that really make Nanny throw a fit?

NancysToy
03-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Scotty,
This wouldn't be indicative of somebody riding the brake pedal; would it?
Or does that really make Nanny throw a fit?
Currently riding the brake pedal shows a check engine light, and leaves behind a code for BUDS. It no longer triggers limp mode all by itself, as far as I know.

Illinois Boy
03-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Currently riding the brake pedal shows a check engine light, and leaves behind a code for BUDS. It no longer triggers limp mode all by itself, as far as I know.

Battery connections is a good starting point, no doubt.

I would still recommend those having this problem make sure they are not touching the brake-pedal when riding. Doing so has caused sooooo many problems for people -- and they most often do not even know they are doing it, which is the sad part.

With my 2011... similar stalls were related to the throttle-body issue -- which may not have been entirely fixed on the last "go-around" I had with the TB. Everything described above by these people lines-up with my throttle-body symptoms fairly closely.

Just a thought, but my guess is this problem is related to one of the two -- if not the battery connections.

To those having the problem... please post back on this thread to let us know what the verdict was and how it was resolved. :thumbup:

flamingobabe
03-18-2013, 09:18 PM
I picked up my ST-Limited SE5 on Saturday....today, 3 days later...I have over 700 miles....no problems at all...except the weather...cold and wet...tomorrow I get the 600 mile check up....My question is 'At what RPM's are you shifting....my ST likes ...the sweet spot seems to be between 6000 and 7000....if you shift before that...less rpms...the ST seems to want to dog out......

Spiderwoman
03-18-2013, 10:33 PM
I picked up my ST-Limited SE5 on Saturday....today, 3 days later...I have over 700 miles....no problems at all...except the weather...cold and wet...tomorrow I get the 600 mile check up....My question is 'At what RPM's are you shifting....my ST likes ...the sweet spot seems to be between 6000 and 7000....if you shift before that...less rpms...the ST seems to want to dog out......

Well...You just answered the question. Did you log anymore miles today? :clap:

flamingobabe
03-19-2013, 06:59 AM
I rode up from Conway, AR to Springfield, MO....it was a chilly ride...41 - 54 degrees....started off wet and ended with sunshine

Bob Denman
03-19-2013, 07:11 AM
I LIKE the new, big smile! :D :thumbup: