PDA

View Full Version : RS S cuts off for no reason

Midge93
03-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Just bought a brand new 2012 Spyder RS S, and I've only put 148 miles on it and it cut off. The check engine light came on and scrolled across the display. Once it sat for 15 min it would crank up again but then die again. Anyone had issues with this?

It's at the dealer now, they said it's not throwing any codes and they think it may be a sensor, but they're not sure.

ARtraveler
03-12-2013, 01:58 PM
:welcome: I see this is your first post. The new :ani29: should not be doing what it is. You are at the right place to get the problem solved. Let us know what happens.

Midge93
03-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks! Will do, was just curious if it had happened to anyone else. I must admit, it concerns me that it would have issues in the first 148 miles. I've been a long time Honda rider, and loved the look and appeal of the Spyder....are they fairly reliable?

Jharpo
03-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Thanks! Will do, was just curious if it had happened to anyone else. I must admit, it concerns me that it would have issues in the first 148 miles. I've been a long time Honda rider, and loved the look and appeal of the Spyder....are they fairly reliable?

I have a 2009 with 13000 miles on it. It has never broke down and the only code I have ever gotten was "Brake Failure" when the brakes were working fine. It was about a tablespoon low on brake fluid. I'm very happy with the reliability of my Spyder. Hope they find your problem quickly so you can just sit back and enjoy the ryde.

jerpinoy
03-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Hopefully your will be on the road soon. I'm very curious what happen?

lmfarmer94
03-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Please let us know what the dealer finds out. Hopefully you will be back up and running ASAP.

Marty

NancysToy
03-12-2013, 06:16 PM
First have them check for loose battery connections or a loose rear frame ground. Then they should check that the relays are seated well. After that they can check the plug wires, coil, and possibly the ECM. Those items seldom throw codes directly, although there are sometimes communications faults to the ECM or O2 sensor issues as a result of ignition problems. You need a mechanic more than a technician.

SllimG
03-12-2013, 08:47 PM

I have a 2012 RSS and have put 13,500 miles on it since October. Mine has been 100 percent reliable. The only issue I have, like many others, is the odor of gas after a long ride on warm days. Other than that, no fault codes, runs great, handles great, and an absolute joy to ride. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your issue is minor and you get back on the road soon. I hope you enjoy your new RSS as much as I enjoy mine.

SllimG
03-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Oh, forgot to say :welcome:

Midge93
03-12-2013, 09:03 PM
64303My baby's home!!!! Dealer didn't get a chance to look at it til today, picked it up Saturday night when it broke down. They thought it was a loose battery terminal, couldn't get it to cut off. Owner took it for a test drive got about 3 miles out and it died, had to PUSH it back to the dealer. They called BRP and figured out due to a code it finally threw that it was a bad sensor, owner said cam sensor, parts guy said crank shaft sensor....take your pic it was one of the two. Got one off a 2013 RS and 40 miles back home she ran like a dream. They said they've never had one do this before.....so glad it was an easy fix!

Thanks for all the welcomes!

SllimG
03-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Glad you got it back and hope there are no other issues.

NancysToy
03-12-2013, 09:11 PM
64303My baby's home!!!! Dealer didn't get a chance to look at it til today, picked it up Saturday night when it broke down. They thought it was a loose battery terminal, couldn't get it to cut off. Owner took it for a test drive got about 3 miles out and it died, had to PUSH it back to the dealer. They called BRP and figured out due to a code it finally threw that it was a bad sensor, owner said cam sensor, parts guy said crank shaft sensor....take your pic it was one of the two. Got one off a 2013 RS and 40 miles back home she ran like a dream. They said they've never had one do this before.....so glad it was an easy fix!

Thanks for all the welcomes!
:thumbup: Welcome! Enjoy the Ryde!

Big Arm
03-12-2013, 09:41 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your new purchase :clap:
Hope you have nothing but happy miles from now on.

MikeinGA
03-12-2013, 09:45 PM
First have them check for loose battery connections or a loose rear frame ground. Then they should check that the relays are seated well. After that they can check the plug wires, coil, and possibly the ECM. Those items seldom throw codes directly, although there are sometimes communications faults to the ECM or O2 sensor issues as a result of ignition problems. You need a mechanic more than a technician.

and check the map sensor. My 2011 RS-S shut off at low rpms and would back fire when I back off of the gas. To test the mechanic removed my sensor and put in a new sensor from a new RS. My Spyder RS-S ran like new and now I have put on over 4,000 miles and is still running great.

Mike

Chupaca
03-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Glad they were able to get you back on the road. :welcome: and :congrats: on your new RS-S. We have an RS and love it...:thumbup:

spydaman60
03-13-2013, 06:38 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes!glad to hear you are back on the road, and by the way, you picked a great color rss!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Midge93
03-13-2013, 07:55 PM
glad to hear you are back on the road, and by the way, you picked a great color rss!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

LOL, thanks bud....love the stripes...where did you get them done. I promise I won't copy, but it does give me ideas. :bowdown:

otter28169
03-13-2013, 08:19 PM
LOL, thanks bud....love the stripes...where did you get them done. I promise I won't copy, but it does give me ideas. :bowdown:

Definitely love the color, congrats on joining our family. :clap:

Just sayin'................

spydaman60
03-14-2013, 03:39 PM
LOL, thanks bud....love the stripes...where did you get them done. I promise I won't copy, but it does give me ideas. :bowdown:they are actually decals of the exact tread that's on your spyder tires. I have friend that is a graphic designer and he took a photo of the tread and designed the decals. I also had him do a few spiders and have them crawling out from under the tupperware in different places. it's definitely more impressive in person than in the picture. i'm trying to get him to produce do-it-yourself kits that he could sell to spyderlovers that want the look. I don't mind if someone copies the look. it's actually a compliment to us if they want it!!!

Rockwall
03-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Welcome to the club! Your story illustrates yet again why you need to have a good relationship with the right dealer.:doorag: