PDA

View Full Version : OTD Price on ST-S?

Shifty49
03-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Getting ready to take the leap from my Aero 750 to a Spyder ST-S. Just wondering what kind of out the door deal I can expect. Only extras I am interested in at purchase are the fog lights, and 12V outlet. I want to get the best deal I can, but now sure how much "wiggle room" dealers are offering, if any. Also, did the dealer "add on" $$ for "dealer prep," or ??.

Thanks in advance for any info. you can give me.

Shifty49

SPYD1
03-12-2013, 12:59 PM
From what I heard at the dealer over here yesterday, I would think you will be looking at 24K and some change.

nutz
03-12-2013, 01:41 PM
I bought a 2012 RT LTD fresh from the crate for 25k OTD. Leader Marine in Kalamazoo, MI

ARtraveler
03-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Your answer is going to depend on where you make the purchase. Some dealers are willing to take less margin than others.

If service is not important to you, it's worthwhile to shop around and go for the gold when it comes to lowest price.

My take on this has always been, find the dealer you want to do the servicing on your :spyder2: and work out a fair price.

There are many nightmare postings about bad service, and no service. Some dealers outright refuse to take care of customers that do not purchase from them (IMO--wrong, wrong, wrong).
Other dealers will put you and your :ani29: to the back of the queue and it may be a couple weeks before they even look at it.

I believe in find a good dealer first, work with them, and when you need service, you wont be the one posting about the worst servicing dealer in the world.

Good luck on your hunt. :thumbup:

weapon
03-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Your answer is going to depend on where you make the purchase. Some dealers are willing to take less margin than others.

If service is not important to you, it's worthwhile to shop around and go for the gold when it comes to lowest price.

My take on this has always been, find the dealer you want to do the servicing on your :spyder2: and work out a fair price.

There are many nightmare postings about bad service, and no service. Some dealers outright refuse to take care of customers that do not purchase from them (IMO--wrong, wrong, wrong).
Other dealers will put you and your :ani29: to the back of the queue and it may be a couple weeks before they even look at it.

I believe in find a good dealer first, work with them, and when you need service, you wont be the one posting about the worst servicing dealer in the world.

Good luck on your hunt. :thumbup:

I'm with you.
I have had the bad service dept. experience. :banghead:
This time my purchase started in the service department.
Maybe it is just me but anywhere the dealer has a great reputation for sevice, their sales department will be on it too.:thumbup:

Sarge707
03-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Getting ready to take the leap from my Aero 750 to a Spyder ST-S. Just wondering what kind of out the door deal I can expect. Only extras I am interested in at purchase are the fog lights, and 12V outlet. I want to get the best deal I can, but now sure how much "wiggle room" dealers are offering, if any. Also, did the dealer "add on" $$ for "dealer prep," or ??.

Shifty49

I Have NEVER Paid Dealer Prep or shipping on 2 Spyders and 13 Jet Skies so don,t fall for that stuff!!!
Rest is up to you?:dontknow:

jerpinoy
03-12-2013, 04:12 PM
:welcome:there's a lot of good deal around, just be patient and search ,look and listen to our:spyder2:members. Good luck.

spydermyke990
03-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Mine is about 24k with extended warranty & maintenance package, and a ton of farkles.

Shifty49
03-13-2013, 02:52 PM
:welcome:there's a lot of good deal around, just be patient and search ,look and listen to our:spyder2:members. Good luck.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I am somewhat at a disadvantage as there aren't many dealers in my area. 4 to be exact and 3 are the same owner. I have no idea about the service at any of them. I have owned Honda's for the past 40+ years, did most of my own "wrenching". I am still waiting on the actual figures from the dealer I talked with on Monday. They mostly stress meeting your "desired monthly payment", and apparently the computer doesn't give the breakdown of cost, tax, etc. I am awaiting those figures, as I want to compare financing with my credit union. Will update when I know something........hard to wait!

JKMSPYDER
03-13-2013, 03:18 PM
My dealer came off list by $1000 for my ST-S SE-5. The only option I added was heated grips. IMO you don't need the power outlet. In the front trunk on the left side (as you are sitting on the roadster) are extra battery terminals to connect accessories. I bought a female cigarette lighter to connect to the terminals. Now I can connect my cell phone or GPS directly to the terminals.

JKMSPYDER
03-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Oops, I meant to say female cigarette lighter adapter! Also, my price OTD including tax, heated grips, and extra three year BEST warranty was just north of $24K.

Sarge707
03-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Thanks to everyone for your input. I am somewhat at a disadvantage as there aren't many dealers in my area. 4 to be exact and 3 are the same owner. I have no idea about the service at any of them. I have owned Honda's for the past 40+ years, did most of my own "wrenching". I am still waiting on the actual figures from the dealer I talked with on Monday. They mostly stress meeting your "desired monthly payment", and apparently the computer doesn't give the breakdown of cost, tax, etc. I am awaiting those figures, as I want to compare financing with my credit union. Will update when I know something........hard to wait!

Be Careful:lecturef_smilie:When they give you that Monthly payment thing. A Salesman did that to me when I bought my Ford Sport Trac- I walked out the door and went to another dealer that gave me Cash out the door price and Wrote HIM a check that day.
The monthly payment salesmen are NOT your friend?

ARtraveler
03-13-2013, 04:47 PM

Be careful with any dealer that will not quote you a real price. That desired monthly payment stuff will get you into a lot of trouble from the get go. The lower the monthly payment, the longer the term and in most cases the higher the interest rate. PS: they have to input a price before they can calculate a monthly payment. I keep hearing the words Sharpies! Sharpies! echoing in the background.

Start with the price for the :ani29: and then work out a payment plan if needed. IMO.

Bob Denman
03-13-2013, 05:14 PM
While the bottom line is always important; the service after the sale is what will keep you as a customer! :thumbup:
I've always tried to shop for the best service department, and then just beat the salesman up as best I can out front... :D

boborgera
03-13-2013, 05:22 PM
I have owned Honda's for the past 40+ years, did most of my own "wrenching". I am still waiting on the actual figures from the dealer I talked with on Monday. They mostly stress meeting your "desired monthly payment", and apparently the computer doesn't give the breakdown of cost, tax, etc. I am awaiting those figures, as I want to compare financing with my credit union. Will update when I know something........hard to wait!

From your post this isn't your first Rodeo, So you should know the computer B/S is a lie, Every dealer if their selling lollipops or Spyders know exactly the out the door price, They couldn't stay in business if they didn't, My opinion they are playing you, Offer them a low ball price [20k], And you'll find out how quick they'll come back with a figure.

flamingobabe
03-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Shifty49 what Hondas have you been riding? My husband rides a Valkyrie

Spyder in La.
03-13-2013, 10:46 PM

Shifty49

I'm also picking up my first Spyder this weekend, my deal on ST-S SE5 is 21099 out the door... no extra fees... I'll let you know Saturday if they lied..:doorag:

Big Arm
03-14-2013, 12:04 AM
Getting ready to take the leap from my Aero 750 to a Spyder ST-S.
Shifty49

I'm also picking up my first Spyder this weekend, my deal on ST-S SE5 is 21099 out the door... no extra fees... I'll let you know Saturday if they lied..:doorag:

:welcome: to the both of you :clap:
I hope you both make the best deal possible.........Good luck and, let us know how it all works out.

Bob Denman
03-14-2013, 11:17 AM

:welcome:
and :congrats:
We'll need to hear all about it! Pictures too! :thumbup:

Sarge707
03-14-2013, 11:29 AM

http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/build-your-spyder?categoryCode=ST&modelCode=ST-S

If that includes Sales Tax and Reg its a Very Good deal as the Model you have lists for $21,799 per above link WHEN you select Auto-Transmission!~

SPYD1
03-14-2013, 11:31 AM
I agree. That is a steal! I hope it happens for you.:2thumbs:

ARtraveler
03-14-2013, 01:53 PM
I forgot to say :welcome: to Shifty and Spyder in LA. :congrats: on those new rydes. :thumbup:

Shifty49
03-14-2013, 09:14 PM
OK, the dealer gave me some numbers today. Basically - 21,799 for the ST-S SE, $320 for install of heated grips, $750 shipping+ 1239 tx. (the tax is discounted for my $4,500 trade in). So.....as I figure it, it is $24,108 (not including the trade in). No mention of extended warranty. :O(

I can put an additional $5,000 down + the trade in. I will have to make payments so that is a factor, but don't feel they are giving me much of a deal.

Nothing like what some of you are getting. Any of you willing to name the dealers you used?

The Wanderer
03-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Shifty49 I purchased the ST Limited with extended warranty and chrome upper and lower wind deflectors OTD for $26,000 in NC. I hope this helps. If you would like to know dealer let me know, they also have an awesome service department.

Shifty49
03-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Shifty49 what Hondas have you been riding? My husband rides a Valkyrie

Started out many moons ago, with a Honda Passport (50cc). Back in the day you could put .35 worth of gas and run it all week. In 1971 I bought a Honda CB100, spanking new off the showroom floor for $420.00. ( I still have it). After a time of not riding, I felt the urge again, but wanted a bike with electric start. So found a really good deal on a 2004 Rebel. After joining an all women's motorcycle group I figured I needed more CCs so I got another good deal on a 2008 Honda Shadow Aero. I also, just for fun, got a Honda Metropolitan. Not as easy on gas as the Passport, but pretty good for running to town, and to take camping.

At this point, I guess I should mention, that I am only 4'9" tall, and wear a size 2 shoe....so....I have to modify most of what I ride/drive. I put a heel/toe shifter w/ floorboards on my Rebel as I need a higher heel on my boots to reach the ground, but then my instep is on the peg, and my toe was not long enough to reach the shifter. I lowered my Aero 2 1/2 " in the back and 2" in the front. I built up the brake pedal so I could reach it, but it is a stretch to reach the pegs. One of the reasons I am looking to the Spyder is I don't have to struggle to hold it up, or reach the ground. Also I have "arthur" in my hands so the SE transmission, and foot brake are a real bonus. I will be keeping the other bikes and trading in the Aero. Just too heavy for me to manuver.

Shifty49
03-14-2013, 10:02 PM
:welcome:
and :congrats:
We'll need to hear all about it! Pictures too! :thumbup:

wow! Now there is a deal! Could be worth a trip to NY!! Anxious to hear if they really do that deal.

RotaxDuramax
03-15-2013, 01:57 AM
OK, the dealer gave me some numbers today. Basically - 21,799 for the ST-S SE, $320 for install of heated grips, $750 shipping+ 1239 tx. (the tax is discounted for my $4,500 trade in). So.....as I figure it, it is $24,108 (not including the trade in). No mention of extended warranty. :O(

I can put an additional $5,000 down + the trade in. I will have to make payments so that is a factor, but don't feel they are giving me much of a deal.

Nothing like what some of you are getting. Any of you willing to name the dealers you used?

I went to one of the ones owned by the same people. The extended warranty was already included in the price, and they dealt with me great, added a lot of extras in gear and cover, but my dad also bought a demo unit too which may have helped. Once you have shown to be a serious buyer and able to buy, they will deal in my experience...

mjw930
03-15-2013, 07:05 PM
We just closed a deal on an ST-S SE5. They over allowed on our trade, an '08 GS SE5 to the tune of about $1500 and gave us 10% off accessories and a $100 accessory rebate coupon. All in all, for a brand new, current model year bike I think we got a very fair deal.

Bottom line, most dealers should be able to come off MSRP by $1000 - $1500 without batting an eye.

burg650
03-15-2013, 07:26 PM

That does not seem like a deal, for what I was told the list on a ST-S SE is $24,999.

spyder3
03-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Just call this guy Len and get a price, I hear he's pretty good.

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html

3tracs
03-15-2013, 10:11 PM

I would recommend contacting Len at Pitbull Powersports too... he's located in Springfield, Missouri.

I didn't know Len way back in '09 when I purchased my new '08 GS, so bought from Richard Cupp at Vetesnik in Richland Center, Wisconsin. Great dealer, and I got a great deal. http://www.vetesnik.com

Spyder in La.
03-16-2013, 03:09 PM

Well, they lied!! :yikes:..( my shocked face )... Lol. Salesman contacted me early Friday and informed me that my bike was sold without his knowledge, but not to worry, he still had a another in "blue". I reminded him that I was purchasing magnesium!
..........Have Mercy!!! :doorag:

Sarge707
03-16-2013, 05:15 PM

KEEP Looking- Their charging you retail Price of 21,799 Plus NEVER pay $750 or Anything for shipping-More than 3 hours labor to install heated grips. Walk away from this one!!nojoke

Shifty49
03-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Well, they lied!! :yikes:..( my shocked face )... Lol. Salesman contacted me early Friday and informed me that my bike was sold without his knowledge, but not to worry, he still had a another in "blue". I reminded him that I was purchasing magnesium!
..........Have Mercy!!! :doorag:

Unbelievable! How could that happen? I think I would look for another salesman. Is he looking for the one you want? Is he standing by his OTD quote?

I am sure you are disappointed, I would be.

Shifty49
03-16-2013, 09:26 PM
KEEP Looking- Their charging you retail Price of 21,799 Plus NEVER pay $750 or Anything for shipping-More than 3 hours labor to install heated grips. Walk away from this one!!nojoke

Stopped at one of the local (sort of) dealers today, to supposedly find out there "best deal". :o( I don't understand what is so difficult in answering the question..."What is the best deal you can offer me?" (and still make a profit - is understood." NOPE!

One salesman asks the question, " What do you want to pay?" Well, DUH, nothing!

So guess I just pick a number and see if it will fly. Will also meet with the other dealership, so see what they can come up with. Dealer #1 says they will meet any one elses price, but want written proof of the offer.

Dealer #2 has a much nicer dealership, and some Can Am Accessories, plus their service charges are $20 less an hour than #1. #1 is closer to where I live. Dealer #2 - offered me what I want for my trade in, sight unseen. Dealer #1 - wants me to bring it up...which will require trailering since it is way to cold for me to ride.

and so the saga continues....

Sarge707
03-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Stopped at one of the local (sort of) dealers today, to supposedly find out there "best deal". :o( I don't understand what is so difficult in answering the question..."What is the best deal you can offer me?" (and still make a profit - is understood." NOPE!

One salesman asks the question, " What do you want to pay?" Well, DUH, nothing!

So guess I just pick a number and see if it will fly. Will also meet with the other dealership, so see what they can come up with. Dealer #1 says they will meet any one elses price, but want written proof of the offer.

Dealer #2 has a much nicer dealership, and some Can Am Accessories, plus their service charges are $20 less an hour than #1. #1 is closer to where I live. Dealer #2 - offered me what I want for my trade in, sight unseen. Dealer #1 - wants me to bring it up...which will require trailering since it is way to cold for me to ride.

and so the saga continues....

No Big need to be "Hurry to Buy?" Thats when your most vulnerable! :yikes:Take your time and keep looking and researching so you make the Best possible deal at "Your" terms! You will feel better after!!!nojoke

boborgera
03-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Dealer #2 - offered me what I want for my trade in, sight unseen.

I think when the UNseen, Becomes Seen, the price will change. :shocked:

Jeriatric
03-17-2013, 01:05 PM
I think when the UNseen, Becomes Seen, the price will change. :shocked:

:agree:

If seriously looking know your price (Fair price -because you have really done your homework in that department) load up the trade and get down to business. Otherwise stay on the porch. Cause it's all barking until you get down to the doted line. jmo

Spyder in La.
03-17-2013, 01:32 PM
No Big need to be "Hurry to Buy?" Thats when your most vulnerable! :yikes:Take your time and keep looking and researching so you make the Best possible deal at "Your" terms! You will feel better after!!!nojoke

:agree:

If seriously looking know your price (Fair price -because you have really done your homework in that department) load up the trade and get down to business. Otherwise stay on the porch. Cause it's all barking until you get down to the doted line.
All excellent advice....!!...Have Mercy! :doorag::2thumbs: