PDA

View Full Version : Looking for GPS advice (not for Spyder)

oldgoat
03-12-2013, 10:56 AM
I've never had or used one before & don't want to spend a lot. We are going to NZ later this year & will get maps for there as well as the ones for USA/Canada that will come with it.

No more than $200 & hopefully on sale for $100. (NZ maps extra of course).

Garmin, Magellan or Tom Tom, that is the question.

Map updates for the life of the unit : is it worth it?

Want a 5" screen

Ease of use & features I should have please.

New, used or refurbished off ebay?

I know everyone will have his/her favorite but I'm just looking for info & all replies will be most welcome. I'm a total newbie here.

TIA

oldgoat

cjackg
03-12-2013, 11:03 AM
- Garmin for sure, I have had several over the years and never a problem.
- 5" Screen for sure
- Yes, I once bought a refurb Garmin and it was as good as new.
- The new models like 2460 and 2595 with voice commands are the best GPS yet, and worth the money.
- Lifetime Maps for sure.
- Amazon is usually a good source.

Good Luck!

Cavman
03-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Try FactoryOutletStore.com They have all the brands. I recently bought one of the hand held Megellan units (eXplorist 850) for far less that other online stores including Amazon. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon so you may get a deal there?

I can't help you with the unit you are looking for, as I use the hand held units for navigation and Geocaching. I own about seven Garmin GPS units. Great customer service if you need it.

bcoulter19
03-12-2013, 01:36 PM
I understand your leaving the country so I understand getting a GPS(I guess). What I don't understand is why people who own a smart phone still purchase a GPS when you can use your smart phone for free and getdirections that are just as good.

oldgoat
03-12-2013, 02:06 PM
I understand your leaving the country so I understand getting a GPS(I guess). What I don't understand is why people who own a smart phone still purchase a GPS when you can use your smart phone for free and getdirections that are just as good.

don't have or want a smart phone.

spyderpoop
03-12-2013, 04:42 PM
about 85% or more trucker use the garmin nivi in their trucks so that should tell ya what one stands out above the rest I have garmin in my truck and I go over the road for days at a time with it .. and their reliable as far as the quality of the product not talking of directions just the unit itself Rich

oldgoat
03-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks guys. Looking at a Garmin Nuvi 50 LM.

IGETAROUND
03-12-2013, 06:39 PM
​ definitely purchase a reconditioned unit if one is available. Mine's going on 6 years old and cost me less than $90.00 when purchased. :ohyea:

retread
03-12-2013, 06:56 PM
If you are going out of the country, it may be an extra expense to load the map set for it, my Garmin only covers North America.

john

oldgoat
03-12-2013, 07:06 PM
If you are going out of the country, it may be an extra expense to load the map set for it, my Garmin only covers North America.

john

It darn well costs $160 for the Oz/NZ maps!!! As we will be covering most of the N & S islands of NZ on the vacation it sort of is a necessity.

wyliec
03-12-2013, 07:08 PM
http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=gps+navigation&SearchType=Header

Chupaca
03-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Amazon had the garmin nuvi 1350 @ $93.00 I got one not to long ago..:thumbup:

oldgoat
03-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Amazon had the garmin nuvi 1350 @ $93.00 I got one not to long ago..:thumbup:

Unfortunately Amazon doesn't ship GPS units to Canada as far as I know. Whenever I put one in my basket it says NO !

bobnaquin
03-12-2013, 07:59 PM
I have a Garmin Nuvi 255 that I paid around $75 a year ago. It is worth way more than that. I use it on my Spyder, car, Amtrak, and vacations.

I have a TomTom rider 2 that I have had for five years. I paid about $700 for it and probably about $200 more for accessories like power supplies that don't last long. It has been a faithful companion on about 55,000 Spyder miles talking me through some bad times. At least I think that is where the voices in my head have been coming from.

mcaccamise
03-13-2013, 07:58 AM
I have the Garmin Nuvi 1495 LMT less than $200.00 works great and talks to me when im lonely.

2NFrnt
03-13-2013, 08:23 AM

Cause smart phones only give GPS directions when there is a cell signal. Try out your smart phone in Lame Deer Montana, it is a no go, but my $100 Garmin Nuvi 255W worked like a charm. BTW, I have a iphone 4S and yes they claim it has a "stand alone" GPS, but based on my experience it will not work without cell service. It proved that to me over and over out in the west and northwest last summer.

oldgoat
03-13-2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks again all.

The number of models is bewildering. I have been going around in circles. Best if I just go out & buy one & learn on that for a year or two until I can intelligently decide the options I really need (or think I need)

oldgoat
03-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Bought a Garmin Nuvi 2555LMT refurbished. $129 in Canada. Comes with the 1yr warranty.

Will use it in my car & have decided that as I only ride on cloudless days (:D) will use it on the spyder as well by attaching it to the low, inside of my 25" touring screen on my '08 GS.

I'm a nervous wreck now having spent all morning looking at this one & that one with wifey breathing down my neck.

Will buy the AU/NZ maps later on.

Thanks for all your advice/opinions. :2thumbs:

billybovine
03-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Bought a Garmin Nuvi 2555LMT refurbished. $129 in Canada. Comes with the 1yr warranty.

Will use it in my car & have decided that as I only ride on cloudless days (:D) will use it on the spyder as well by attaching it to the low, inside of my 25" touring screen on my '08 GS.

I'm a nervous wreck now having spent all morning looking at this one & that one with wifey breathing down my neck.

Will buy the AU/NZ maps later on.

Thanks for all your advice/opinions. :2thumbs:

Good price and it's good you got a lifetime maps model. Now time time to load up a bunch of POI files. (Tim Horton locations, favorite brand gas stations, favorite chain restaurant locations, etc). If you want the hardware to mount it on your Spyder check out gpscity.ca

oldgoat
03-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Good price and it's good you got a lifetime maps model. Now time time to load up a bunch of POI files. (Tim Horton locations, favorite brand gas stations, favorite chain restaurant locations, etc). If you want the hardware to mount it on your Spyder check out gpscity.ca

Calgary seems to be the centre of GPS online purchase in Canada. Bought mine at GPScentral & then there is GPScity as well.

billybovine
03-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Calgary seems to be the centre of GPS online purchase in Canada. Bought mine at GPScental & then there is GPScity as well.

No provincial sales tax in Alberta.