PDA

View Full Version : Owners Event - Blue Ridge Parkway

Papa
03-12-2013, 10:28 AM
As I leave this years owners event I want to travel the BRP and Skyline Drive on my way home to Chicago (obviously the scenic route). I have been trying to plot this in various mapping and gps systems to no avail.
So, my question for those that have ridden both of these is simple. How much time to do the entire BRP and Skyline? I saw that the top speed on BRP is 45 but there are stretches at 30 . . . not sure about Skyline.

Any help planning this would be appreciated.

viiiball
03-12-2013, 11:24 AM
As I leave this years owners event I want to travel the BRP and Skyline Drive on my way home to Chicago (obviously the scenic route). I have been trying to plot this in various mapping and gps systems to no avail.
So, my question for those that have ridden both of these is simple. How much time to do the entire BRP and Skyline? I saw that the top speed on BRP is 45 but there are stretches at 30 . . . not sure about Skyline.

Any help planning this would be appreciated.

Papa:

Living about 30 minutes from the north entrance to Skyline Drive we ride this route quite a bit. The speed limit on Skyline Drive is 35 and during June you will find a lot of park police so the recommendation is to be conscious of your speed. Also, if its a really nice weekend day you will find lots of traffic so your pace could be slowed.

As for the Blue Ridge, speed limits do vary. Our biggest hurdle when driving the BRP has been weather conditions. We've been up there when its horribly foggy and this slows you to a snails pace.

We usually take 3 days to do the complete run but you could probably do it in two. We like to take our time. Our typical run from the north has been:
Day 1 - Front Royal, VA to Lexington, VA
Day 2 - Lexington, VA to Boone, NC
Day 3 - Boone, NC to Cherokee, NC
I am pretty sure I have a Garmin file that will cover this route if you are interested. Let me know and I will look on my computer at home tonight.

We will be driving the route to the owners event but not sure about home. We may have to get home faster so may be blasting up I-81

Papa
03-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Thanks very much for the information. I sent you a PM.

Bob Ledford
03-12-2013, 12:44 PM
My spouse an I have done the BRP an SLD on our GW several times prior to 1996. But it was alway just prior to the BRP FALL CLOSING TIME.. It took us four day of travel with remain over nights (RON). But we were stopping a lot to warm ourselves up and we were off the road and holed up in a warm cozy motel before darkness fell. I think being your first trip on a new bike you might want to add one extra RON in case you need it. Always better to plan for the worst case scenarios. There are some excellent family style restaurants just off the roadway that added time to the journey for us but now we stop there every time we are in the area. Our riding style was one hour of riding gets you fifteen minute break to stretch and take pictures from the plentiful lookout points. Besides that you get to chat with total strangers that are going to ask you about your Spyder......

SPYD3R
03-12-2013, 12:55 PM
BRP (BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY) is over 400 miles, actually it's 469 miles... posted is 45 mph, with some less, however, during the week, when few visitors are on it, you can comfortably roll at 50 mph... however, if you want to enjoy they ride, plan on the 45 and lots n lots of stops along the way... plan on no less than 2 days, and there are plenty of good motels just off the BRP for over-nite stay... there are also a large number of small mountain town you may want to visit along the way... now we're talking 3 to 4 days... personally, i've never ridden the entire length, but i've ridden on about 300 miles of it, and it's absolutely a fantastic ride... every year, there are some fools (cars & bikes) who are just too much in a hurry, and end up in the weeds... and some of those weeds can be 300-400 ft down @ 90 degrees, so ride safely and enjoy... when riding on sunny days, you'll need to prepare yourself for the tunnels... i lose vision for a split second while my eyes adjust, so i slow down by 10 mph or so and flip my sunshade up...
http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/
64256 64257

NancysToy
03-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Year before last we did this on the way home from Spyders in Maggie Valley (BRP Owners' Event). Took three days and enjoyed every mile. We also visited Jefferson's Monticello, rode the Western Maryland railroad, rode US-250 through West Virginia and Ohio, and visited the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame in Columbus before we made it home. Fantastic trip all the way! Do it, you won't regret it.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28609&d=1309139279

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28610&d=1309139279

StanProff
03-12-2013, 06:11 PM
My wife and I rode the BRP from Cherokee to the other end at Waynesboro VA. 469 miles you will not forget. We took our time and stopped at a lot of senic overlooks and sites to see along the way. There are many things to check out, we allowed 3 days. The more time you take on the Parkway the better you will enjoy and the more memories you make. :2thumbs:

DR Buck
03-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Wife and I have ridden the Skyline Drive a few times as we are local to it. We did a group ride last fall with 14 Spyders. :yes: It took 7 hours end to end going south to north. This included lots of stops for photos and socializing and about an hour plus for lunch. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

PrairieSpyder
03-13-2013, 12:35 PM
I'm going to do the same ride after the BBQ at Lamont's. I appreciate getting the time estimates from everyone. Here's the NPS website that I'm using to help plan:

http://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm

And here's the site for the Shenandoah NP: http://www.nps.gov/shen/index.htm

I'm sure I'll see you along the way!

Pennyrick
03-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Papa:

We did the trip last summer and were on the road from Sunday, June 24th through Saturday June 30th.

Sunday: We traveled 227 miles from our home east of Atlanta up to Cherokee, NC and accessed the Blue Ridge at the start. We overnighted at the Comfort Inn in Black Mountain NC. Average speed is really low due to Sunday drivers, a lot of tunnels and many overlooks to stop at. My guess is we averaged under 30 mph as we were on the road for eight hours.

Monday: We got back on the Parkway at mile marker 360 and covered 215 miles to Floyd, Virginia. We stayed at the Hotel Floyd in the downtown area and can highly recommend it as a place to stay. Unfortunately the two good restaurants in Floyd close on Mondays so we ate at the Blue Ridge Cafe that we cannot recommend. There is a Hardies in town. (Note: do not trust your GPS to find a quick back road off the Parkway to Floyd).

Tuesday: Back on the Parkway at mile marker 160. Lots of things to visit and sight see on this leg. We got off the Parkway where it ended at Waynesboro and took highway 340 to Luray, Virginia where we stayed in the Days Inn. We toured the caves and took a few side trips off the Parkway. We logged 221 miles that day.

Wednesday: Up early and took Highway 211 into the Shenandoah National Park at mile marker 33 and then traveled the Skyline Drive south through that part of the park back to the Blue Ridge. We traveled 175 miles that day and stayed at the Peaks of Otter Lodge run by the Park Service right on the Parkway at Mile Marker 86. Reservations are needed there and gasoline is scarce. The place is old, quiet has a great restaurant, and some good wines.

From there we stayed on the Blue Ridge for two more days staying at the Skyline Inn and Tavern in Spruce Pine, NC (Built into the side of a mountain in 1948 at Mile Marker 331) on Thursday and at the Brasstown Valley Lodge in Young Harris, Ga on Friday, coming home on Saturday.

One of the things that hurts average speed is having to get off the Parkway to find food and gas. There are no convenient places so sometimes it's 25 or 30 miles round trip to get off and look after these things.

If I were you I would plan to get off the Parkway at Lexington, Virginia and take highway 64 west through the mountains of Virginia/West Virginia heading back to Chicago.

NancysToy
03-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Papa:

We did the trip last summer and were on the road from Sunday, June 24th through Saturday June 30th.

Sunday: We traveled 227 miles from our home east of Atlanta up to Cherokee, NC and accessed the Blue Ridge at the start. We overnighted at the Comfort Inn in Black Mountain NC. Average speed is really low due to Sunday drivers, a lot of tunnels and many overlooks to stop at. My guess is we averaged under 30 mph as we were on the road for eight hours.

Monday: We got back on the Parkway at mile marker 360 and covered 215 miles to Floyd, Virginia. We stayed at the Hotel Floyd in the downtown area and can highly recommend it as a place to stay. Unfortunately the two good restaurants in Floyd close on Mondays so we ate at the Blue Ridge Cafe that we cannot recommend. There is a Hardies in town. (Note: do not trust your GPS to find a quick back road off the Parkway to Floyd).

Tuesday: Back on the Parkway at mile marker 160. Lots of things to visit and sight see on this leg. We got off the Parkway where it ended at Waynesboro and took highway 340 to Luray, Virginia where we stayed in the Days Inn. We toured the caves and took a few side trips off the Parkway. We logged 221 miles that day.

Wednesday: Up early and took Highway 211 into the Shenandoah National Park at mile marker 33 and then traveled the Skyline Drive south through that part of the park back to the Blue Ridge. We traveled 175 miles that day and stayed at the Peaks of Otter Lodge run by the Park Service right on the Parkway at Mile Marker 86. Reservations are needed there and gasoline is scarce. The place is old, quiet has a great restaurant, and some good wines.

From there we stayed on the Blue Ridge for two more days staying at the Skyline Inn and Tavern in Spruce Pine, NC (Built into the side of a mountain in 1948 at Mile Marker 331) on Thursday and at the Brasstown Valley Lodge in Young Harris, Ga on Friday, coming home on Saturday.

One of the things that hurts average speed is having to get off the Parkway to find food and gas. There are no convenient places so sometimes it's 25 or 30 miles round trip to get off and look after these things.

If I were you I would plan to get off the Parkway at Lexington, Virginia and take highway 64 west through the mountains of Virginia/West Virginia heading back to Chicago.
Double Trouble makes a couple of excellent points here. I'd like to emphasize them.
1. The Parkway/Skyline route is very crowded on the weekends. Weekday mornings are the best. Plan to travel during the week and start early in the day if possible. Otherwise, allow extra time or cut down the side trips and stops at attractions.
2. Sometimes gas, food, and accommodations can be well off the beaten path. Allow time and pack accordingly. Carrying spare gas will ease your mind...and maybe get you to that gas station you hoped would be closer.
3. Please also realize that exits are limited and spaced. If you think you might need gas, fill it up when you can. If it is 30 miles to the next exit and 30 miles from there to a gas station, you can't run until the light comes on.

viiiball
03-14-2013, 02:25 PM
And you forgot to mention that on the way home that Wednesday you ran into this very nice couple at Peaks of Otter Lodge, one of whom was riding a Spyder. Hope to see you and your wife at the BRP Owners Event in Maggie Valley. We will be there. Staying at the Harrah's in Cherokee for some additional diversions.

Papa:

spyder-dude
03-15-2013, 08:41 PM
I live 10 miles from the beginning of the Skyline Drive south end and north end of the Blueridge Parkway. I have ridden both of them and enjoyed every mile of it except for it is a bit slow traveling in the summer time. Also have ridden quite a bit of route 250 in Virginia which I live 1 mile from. All great roads. Anytime you are planning to come this way send me a PM in advance and would hook up with you and show you some nice parts of Virginia that I have discovered over the past 20 months living here.

Papa
03-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all the responses. We have started to lay out the route and gas stops. Looks like Chicago - Owners event - BRP - Skyline Drive - Wilmington DE - Canton OH - Chicago.

First Spyderfest and then this trip plus rides with Woodstock Spyder Ryders in between. Come on summer!!

Sure is nice to be retired.

hammer663
04-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Does anyone know if there is any itinerary for the event yet I can't find the agenda anywhere, and second, when is Lamont's BBQ this year?

smoky
04-09-2013, 08:39 PM
on whether you're riding just to be riding or whether you want to see some of the beautiful and interesting things along the way. I would allow two days for it and really see what's there. Check some of my photos for some of the Parkway shots.....:bowdown:smoky