PDA

View Full Version : Smoothspyder Dual-Mode Backrest Review

Goblyn Gyrl
03-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Smoothspyder Dual-Mode Backrest Review
I recently purchased the carbon fiber dual-mode backrest from Jim at Smoothspyder for my 2012 RS-S. I think this is a great product!
Jim quickly answered all my questions prior to the sale and shipping was super fast. The backrest arrived with all needed parts (very few) and detailed instructions. The instructions were easy to follow. Installation took approximately 40 minutes and that was going very slow and cautious. I am sure it could be done much quicker if you have more experience removing panels and working on the Spyder.
I think the backrest looks great. The carbon fiber matches the trim on the RS-S seat perfect. I think the black would also blend well. The supports for the backrest integrate with the Spyder and do not look like an aftermarket fit. This is a one size fits all seat due to the range of adjustment. The supports for the backrest can be put in any position from extremely far back behind the passenger seat to right up against the drivers seat or anywhere in between. A ratchet is included that easily adjusts the backrest supports with just one or two turns. The pad for the backrest can also be adjusted up or down and can also be tipped a little front to back. After a little practice, it is very quick to adjust.

I had planned to only use the backrest occasionally when I had a passenger. I did not expect for it to work as well for me a driver. I am 5'9 and only have the one inch riser on the handlebars so I sit leaned forward. I did not know if the backrest would reach my back. I was very wrong. With the backrest in position for the drivers seat and tipped forward, it hits right against my low back and keeps me in a better position on the Spyder. I do not slide around as much and it is very comfortable. This backrest will stay on my Spyder permanently now since it works so well for me.

I included my pictures but the ones in the attached posts show the backrest much better.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?48434-Smoothspyder-Dual-Mode-Backrest-are-now-available&highlight=dual+backrest
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?48410-Smoothspyder-Dual-Mode-Backrest&highlight=dual+backrest

carajony
03-10-2013, 07:40 PM
I agree totally. I've seen it on Jim's STS. He showed me how easy it is to move. Just bought the wife a RS. First thing I bought or ordered was this backrest. It's a great product and Jim is a great guy. Can't wait to get it in the mail and install it... Dont know why they aren't selling like hot cakes.

Great bike and good luck. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Chupaca
03-10-2013, 10:15 PM
If I hadn't spent so much on the OEM backrest I would be ordering one now..!! :(

major911
03-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Looks like a nice a backrest. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around that price. :shocked:

carajony
03-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Installed it today. Not hard to do. Awesome I say.

Jharpo
03-12-2013, 03:35 PM
I got to see this backrest during our meet & greet in Clewiston, in February . I was really surprised how good it looked and how easily it worked. It looks like it belongs there, not like it was added. I wish that it had been introduced before I bought and installed two Corbin back rests.

JimAlpha
03-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Great design and real good thinking. I have the Corbin and the factory backrest but would check this out for my next Spyder.

major911
03-15-2013, 03:59 PM
I have to amend my earlier impression of the backrest being pricey. I ordered it a couple of days ago and WOW! what an impressive piece of equipment. Worth every penny. Top notch workmanship! Jim is a pleasure to do business with and shipping was fast, I now have it installed and ready for my bikeweek trip tomorrow. Fits perfectly, easy to install, Looks like it belongs on the spyder. I would recommend this backrest whole heartedly :thumbup:

buggitybug05
04-17-2013, 08:38 AM
My husband and I purchased this back rest because we did not want to change the overall look of our spyder.

First thing we noticed when we opened the box was how extremely well it matched the seat and look of the bike. Seriously impressive.

We put it on fairly quickly. It took us just over an hour. Most of that time was trying to put the screws back into the plastic ferring pieces. They were very hard to get back in. You have to have the perfect angle for them to grab on and lock back into place. But installing the back rest may have taken 30 mins.

It adjusts very easily. He even sends you the appropriate tool to do it with! In a matter of 30 seconds, we had the rest switched from the passenger position to the driver position.

After our first ride with it, I am completely sold! I recommend this to everyone.

It is more stylish, less expensive and easier to install than the factory back rests.

BUY THIS PRODUCT!

pro10is
04-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Great design, very innovative! :thumbup:

Goblyn Gyrl
04-17-2013, 12:09 PM
I am glad more people are trying out this backrest. I am really enjoying mine. I think the price is great and I love the looks of it. In my opinion, I like it better than the factory backrest. It matches perfect!

roller
06-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Just coming back into spyder world after a couple years away, gotta say.... That is a terrific piece of kit and I will be ordering one the minute I buy spydie numero dos. I'm paraplegic and always wanted a backrest on my first one. This is so innovative, I love all its adjustability :thumbup:

mcaccamise
06-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Just a question for all that have it would it also work with the seat cowel covering the back seat im a solo rider and like the custom cowel covering the seat.
Thanks Mike

rabtech
06-25-2013, 07:04 PM
I installed it on my 2013 ST Limited. It is one of the best things I have ever installed. I am not sure how he pulled this off. It hits the passenger in the perfect spot and when folded forward it hits the driver in the perfect spot. Amazing...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/26/uvegy6e7.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/26/metutage.jpg