PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Bulb Replacement for 2012 RS?

tthuss
03-09-2013, 04:47 PM
I am looking at replacing just the bulbs on my RS headlights. I want something that is brighter than the stock bulbs and shines whiter.

I have found this thread http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?24782-2010-RS-Headlight-Bulb-type which tells me the stock bulb type and talks about the HID replacement kits.

I am not looking to switch over to HIDs right now. I am wondering if anyone out there has any recommendations on just the bulbs. I am looking to get them to shine "whiter" so that they are a closer match to the LED lights that I put on my fenders from Tricled.

Sarge707
03-09-2013, 05:32 PM
I am looking at replacing just the bulbs on my RS headlights. I want something that is brighter than the stock bulbs and shines whiter.

I have found this thread http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?24782-2010-RS-Headlight-Bulb-type which tells me the stock bulb type and talks about the HID replacement kits.

I am not looking to switch over to HIDs right now. I am wondering if anyone out there has any recommendations on just the bulbs. I am looking to get them to shine "whiter" so that they are a closer match to the LED lights that I put on my fenders from Tricled.

I Put the Sylvania "Xtravision" as you see darkened in the picture they are quite a bit brighter than stock (To Left) and last half as long as stock. The Ultra and Silverstar (Far right) are only rated One Quarter the life of the stock bulb.
Hours ratings are the bottpm row!

NancysToy
03-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Save your pennies for the HIDs. The standard aftermarket bulbs are often only marginally brighter (or sometimes only a different visible color) and last a fraction of what the stock ones do. They charge a premium price, so you pay extra more than once. Some of our site sponsors have reasonably priced HIDs, for a lot less than the OEM kit. I'd save up and go for broke. JMHO

tthuss
03-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Save your pennies for the HIDs. The standard aftermarket bulbs are often only marginally brighter (or sometimes only a different visible color) and last a fraction of what the stock ones do. They charge a premium price, so you pay extra more than once. Some of our site sponsors have reasonably priced HIDs, for a lot less than the OEM kit. I'd save up and go for broke. JMHO

I am probably going to do that eventually, but I am looking for something in the short term to make it look more uniform for the time being,

Im going to look into the sylvania, would like to compare a few before I decide

Some Guy
03-09-2013, 06:38 PM
I am probably going to do that eventually, but I am looking for something in the short term to make it look more uniform for the time being,

Im going to look into the sylvania, would like to compare a few before I decide

I definitely agree with Scotty. The bulbs are a PITA to install and if you're going to do it, do it right the first time.

I have a GS and friends who have ridden behind me at night have been super impressed by the difference in the amount of illumination my GS produces versus stock or the Sylvania bulbs. :thumbup:

tthuss
03-09-2013, 07:03 PM
What would the best HID kit be for not too much money

The Bakerman
04-08-2013, 12:34 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Custom Dynamics offers an LED direct replacement bulb for the headlights.

Pablito
04-08-2013, 03:36 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Custom Dynamics offers an LED direct replacement bulb for the headlights.

They sure do http://www.customdynamics.com/led_mr16_bulb.htm and they look pretty cool too. This this might be an option for me.

The Bakerman
04-08-2013, 03:50 PM
They sure do http://www.customdynamics.com/led_mr16_bulb.htm and they look pretty cool too. This this might be an option for me.

let me know how they work out. I'm thinking about using them as well.
Bakerman

major911
04-10-2013, 07:36 AM

I believe that bulb is for their running lights or the fog lights. Not a headlight replacement.

The Bakerman
04-10-2013, 08:05 PM
I believe that bulb is for their running lights or the fog lights. Not a headlight replacement.

I called Custom Dynamics today and they said that these led lamps are NOT a replacement for the stock halogens. My mistake. Sorry.
Bakerman

zrc
04-11-2013, 10:14 AM
I bought and installed Star Motor HIDs from ebay, 50 bucks per set (100 total for me) 1 fogs / 1 main.

I love them, have had zero issues with them.