PDA

View Full Version : For BajaRon and other FF brothers and sisters

bruiser
03-07-2013, 09:32 PM
http://player.vimeo.com/video/48642618 (http://player.vimeo.com/video/48642618)

Please remain in your seats as long as the seatbelt light is on.

Sarge707
03-07-2013, 09:40 PM
:clap::yes: Now Thats Flying!!!! :clap:

Wiredux
03-07-2013, 10:00 PM
:agree:

Chupaca
03-07-2013, 10:16 PM
What a job..!! They handle the planes like a walk in the park..:thumbup::thumbup:

Cavman
03-08-2013, 01:28 AM
What about all of us other airplane lovin' nut jobs? :yes:

Bob Denman
03-08-2013, 08:33 AM
:shocked: Awesome video! :clap: :firstplace:

Question:
Does the heat from those fires affect how close those planes can get to drop their loads? (Updrafts???)

bruiser
03-08-2013, 10:16 AM
The updrafts greatly affect the handling. Forest fires generate their own weather systems and the winds can be really rough. The trick is to put the wet stuff on the red stuff as effectivley as possible. I flew right seat and engineer position on B17Gs in New Mexico. These were contracted by the forest service to drop slurry on forest fires. I also worked on the engines. All of this was part time since I was still active duty.

Bob Denman
03-08-2013, 10:19 AM
So I'm guessing that the cockpit can get to be full of, "Big eyes and Brown shorts" during a more "interesting" flight?? :shocked:

Cavman
03-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Take a ride in a B-17G?
http://m.youtube.com/#/watchv=uqBu32zo3zc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DuqBu32zo3zc

Daisyjoe
03-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks for posting! Great video:clap:

bruiser
03-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Yes Bob. I experienced quite a few moments of leaving creases on the seat cushion. When you're flying a large four engine aircraft and you're looking UP at the tops of the mountains :shocked: :pray: ... The cockpit gets very very busy and quiet when you start your roll in to the drop. Usually the only chatter is from the pilot calling out settings and the Air Boss on the radio. The pilot has the yoke and the right seater or engineer has the throttles.

Yazz
03-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Yes Bob. I experienced quite a few moments of leaving creases on the seat cushion. When you're flying a large four engine aircraft and you're looking UP at the tops of the mountains :shocked: :pray: ... The cockpit gets very very busy and quiet when you start your roll in to the drop. Usually the only chatter is from the pilot calling out settings and the Air Boss on the radio. The pilot has the yoke and the right seater or engineer has the throttles.

So the flying is a coordinated effort. Can see that the pilot has both hands full, but it would take alot of trust in the right seater to do something like that.

It would be like me steering the Spyder through the twisties, and the passenger controlling the throttle. :pray:

Bob Denman
03-08-2013, 12:25 PM
:yikes: I think that Yazz is right; one person with steering, and the other with the throttle seems like a potential disaster without an awful lot of trust and training... :shocked:

bruiser
03-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Well, truth be told, most right seaters control the throttles in large aircraft including commercial flights. They call out airspeed on takeoff so the pilot knows when to rotate (pull back on the yoke or stick if FBW). They also set the flaps/slats and other settings. The left seater is the boss. He/she calls the shots. On some military aircraft the flight engineer controls the throttles per the ACs commands, and monitors engine gages as well as hydraulic pressures etc. Many's the time I flew the engineer seat on long flights on C130s while the real engineer sacked out, or joined the card game in the aft section.

Jeriatric
03-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Well, truth be told, most right seaters control the throttles in large aircraft including commercial flights. They call out airspeed on takeoff so the pilot knows when to rotate (pull back on the yoke or stick if FBW). They also set the flaps/slats and other settings. The left seater is the boss. He/she calls the shots. On some military aircraft the flight engineer controls the throttles per the ACs commands, and monitors engine gages as well as hydraulic pressures etc. Many's the time I flew the engineer seat on long flights on C130s while the real engineer sacked out, or joined the card game in the aft section.

Card game? :thumbup:

We spent all our time looking for incoming........everything from small arms fire to telephone poles. Thirteen hours each night.

bruiser
03-08-2013, 05:05 PM
I didn't have the opportunity to participate in the air. I was too busy on the ground covering my 6 and dodging incoming. By the way, those telephone poles would've scared the :cus: out of me. Had a buddy who crewed a Spectre out of Udorn. I assume you were as well?

Jeriatric
03-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Udorn, but ABCCC - Alleycat & Moonbeam

Hats off to the Spectre guys :thumbup: :pray: nojoke

Don't hold me to it but I bet your bud flew out of Ubon....don't remember any Spec's at Udorn.

Perhaps he's mentioned here.

http://us-mil-thai.tripod.com/id16.html

bruiser
03-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Can't believe I said Udorn.

7th ACCS? Yeah, you guys in ABCCC had the big circle painted on you. Especially with the AO's you were in. I believe there were a couple others besides Alleycat and Moonbeam up that way but can't remember for sure.

Jeriatric
03-09-2013, 12:02 AM
All it took to become a skin surgeon when assigned to ABCCC was a roll of 200 mile per hour tape :roflblack:

bruiser
03-09-2013, 10:18 AM
That speed tape was good stuff :roflblack: Empty beer cans and a few pop rivets worked too.