PDA

View Full Version : DisPelling the Myth Of Standard Poodles being elegant

jScotD
03-06-2013, 11:40 PM
I presentMOOse https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-wiCUf1o9y0g/UTf09jF0FFI/AAAAAAAAAHk/-4NUyeH-6-o/s640/DSC00281.JPG

retread
03-07-2013, 07:05 AM
A friend of mine has one that's field trained, great hunting dog.nojoke

john

Bob Denman
03-07-2013, 08:06 AM
If I'm ever re-incarnated; I want to come back as a dog! :2thumbs: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_2_15.gif

bruiser
03-07-2013, 10:12 AM
I do like standard poodles. Really like Labradoodles.

grumpybob
03-07-2013, 11:12 AM
A friend of mine has one that's field trained, great hunting dog.nojoke

john

I believe Poodles were used to hunt lions at one time long ago.

It was raining cats and dogs here last summer and I almost stepped on a poodle.

otter28169
03-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Poodles are actually a German water dog. The strange poodle cut you see with the "poofs" is actually a functional cut. The idea was to take of as much hair as possible so that the dog could swim easier. The reason behind the poofs on the dog is to keep hair around the joints to help keep them warm. That is also why the hair on the chest is left longer, so that the lungs do not have to work as hard to warm the incoming air.

Standard poodles are an awesome dog. My parents had miniatures when I was growing up:pray:, but would never consent to another large breed dog.:banghead:

Just sayin.....................

grumpybob
03-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Poodles are actually a German water dog. The strange poodle cut you see with the "poofs" is actually a functional cut. The idea was to take of as much hair as possible so that the dog could swim easier. The reason behind the poofs on the dog is to keep hair around the joints to help keep them warm. That is also why the hair on the chest is left longer, so that the lungs do not have to work as hard to warm the incoming air.

Standard poodles are an awesome dog. My parents had miniatures when I was growing up:pray:, but would never consent to another large breed dog.:banghead:

Just sayin.....................

Go for it - you can never have to many dogs.

Bob Denman
03-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the info on the funky haircuts...:clap:

(Note to Self: Don't come back as a Poodle!) :roflblack:

jScotD
03-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Look at the nice warm bed you would have and pillows, and an overhead stereo system ;)

Rayelljay
03-07-2013, 11:45 PM
The poodle cut had a wartime function, too. My grandfather was at Ypres and Paschendaele(sp) during WW1 and they used poodles as messengers dogs in the trenches....the "poofs" helped to shield the joints in the event of a bullet hit.

Bob Denman
03-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Look at the nice warm bed you would have and pillows, and an overhead stereo system ;)

Our little Tink gets the warm bed with the haircut... :roflblack:

But her only actual purpose in life; other than a source of amusement, might be as a morsel for another dog! :yikes:

Frank G
03-08-2013, 10:39 AM
The other night on TV wasen't Si (one of the "DUCKS") using a Poodle to fetch the Doves he shot. :yikes: