PDA

View Full Version : Customer service rant

Laila's Dad
03-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Customer service is not how you really feel about the customer, but rather what the customer thinks you feel about them. If I think you gave me a deal like no one else then that is all that matters. No need for me to know 2 customers before me got the same deal. Why is it that the customers who go in aggressively and sometimes out right rude get the best treatment and deals? Does that mean that unless you feel that I have this superior knowledge or that I will "act a fool" if anything goes wrong that you are just going through the motions? Having a customer service background, this kind of stuff chaps my hide. RT or RS, big house or small one, lawn mower or tractor the fact is I am still giving you my business. Have you ever walked into a store and had a fear that once you made a purchase that you are on your own? This is the one thing that I don't like about a lot of the mom and pop stores closing down. I had the same insurance agent for over 20 years, when I called I actually spoke to him the majority of the time(yes sometimes I did speak with his staff). For me there is no greater feeling than calling a place and ask for the person that sold me something and when they get on the phone and I tell them my first name before I get to my last name, they interrupt and say "how are you Mr. Brown?" That makes me feel that my business matters....okay I have vented enough. Disclaimer: this is not directed at my spyder dealership which is why I have it in the off topic section. Just something I have thought about privately for some time now. The end.;)

Netminder
03-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Agree with you 100%!

Bob Denman
03-06-2013, 08:09 PM
:shocked: Did an event today prompt this? :shocked:

Chupaca
03-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Good to let it out once in a while..even nicer to have somewhere to do it..!!:bowdown:

ARtraveler
03-06-2013, 08:55 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

bruiser
03-06-2013, 09:18 PM
The old adage "the squeeky wheel gets the grease" holds true in customer service. I fully understand your rant. Carry on.

otter28169
03-06-2013, 09:41 PM
I had a salesman at a dealer tell me that Can Am "does not make a base ST, only the ST-S and the ST limited". :lecturef_smilie:He apparently didn't know whom he was speaking with. A real shame too, because their service department is good.

Farmbanker
03-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Good post. People may not always remember what you did or said but they will always remember how you made them feel. To me that is the essence of understanding great customer service.

Laila's Dad
03-07-2013, 01:53 AM
:shocked: Did an event today prompt this? :shocked:

No sir, it is something I have noticed since I became an adult. I am a big guy so I work a little harder to be polite as I know sometimes a large person can either intimidate others or make someone feel they need to prove that they are tough so I try to elimanate both of those scenarios in my life as much as possible. Over the years I have seen people get all kinds of free stuff or special options due to their "persuasive" personality. Now I have no problem with that because, if you can get more and are okay with how you got it then I salute you. My concern is with the salesman or customer service rep who says "I am sorry I can't help you" but when the conversation turns to "Give me your manager!" the response turns to, "may I place you on hold so that I can research" then all of a sudden she can help me and it is resolved. Now keep in mind, that is just with me the nice guy. I have seen people get lifetime oil changes over something that was the customers' fault just to ease the situation. Believe me I get why it is that way. Unfortunately as consumers we have to always try to have a leg up on people we do business with. Before a spyder goes to the shop, we check here first to make sure that our service department is on the up and up with their solution. I mentioned my insurance agent in the original post(he has since passed). He shook my hand, if something was not right he looked into it and when he wouldn't or couldn't change something I get the straight answer from the decision maker. For me, I don't even mind paying a few extra dollars, within reason, to feel I am dealing with a fair and honest person. Don't be fair because I am watching you, be fair because it is the right thing to do. Stop at the stop sign because it is the law, it matters not if a car is coming or a cop is near.
:gaah:

rc51ny
03-07-2013, 06:12 AM
Amen brother--AMEN! :bowdown:

Bob Denman
03-07-2013, 08:13 AM
As an insurance agent; you are absolutely correct! :2thumbs:
It's how you make folks feel; not what you say...

Folks will never remember what you said anyway; they'll only remember what they THINK you said! :shocked:

I also tend to not like pushing the envelope either... Manners are important to me also! :thumbup:
And part of Good Manners is just never making anybody feel uncomfortable!

bruiser
03-07-2013, 10:10 AM
We have gotten more tolerant as we get older. We try not to get upset at things (most times) unless it's pure stupidity as in the woman who tried to pass me as I'm turning left in to my driveway. You are correct with the "give me your manager" comment. It seems the CSR then becomes an expert and is magically able to help you. I just had recent dealings with a large investment firm that uses a "concierge" as your initial point of contact. This person was extremely helpfull, followed up with e mails and phone calls and made clear notes on his computer in case he wasn't available. All in all a very pleasing and relaxed transaction. My :cus: is with companies who have sent their customer service offshore. I want to talk to someone who speaks my language that I can understand. :hun:

Oh yeah, I'm a big guy too and I can intimidate, ask Bruisersbaby sometime.

Yazz
03-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Amen to your rant! Want to add a little something else about customer service...

It's about being female and going into a bike shop, boat store, anything place where it's usually male customers. Standing at the counter I can get passed over, the counter guy will ask the person behind me what they want. A lady did that to me too. Who'd a thunk!

Usually have to break in with "I'm next." ... "Oh, I thought you were with him, wadda ya want."

Only once has the gentleman behind me corrected the counter person with "I believe the lady was before me."

Th squeaky does get the grease, but outright ignoring a customer standing in front of you is pretty poor show.

Thanks for letting me get that out of my system...

Spiderwoman
03-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Amen to your rant! Want to add a little something else about customer service...

It's about being female and going into a bike shop, boat store, anything place where it's usually male customers. Standing at the counter I can get passed over, the counter guy will ask the person behind me what they want. A lady did that to me too. Who'd a thunk!

Usually have to break in with "I'm next." ... "Oh, I thought you were with him, wadda ya want."

Only once has the gentleman behind me corrected the counter person with "I believe the lady was before me."

Th squeaky does get the grease, but outright ignoring a customer standing in front of you is pretty poor show.

Thanks for letting me get that out of my system...

THANKS FOR GETTING IT OUT OF MY SYSTEM TOO! BEEN THERE - DONE THAT......AND OCCASIONALLY STILL HAVE TO "SQUEAK" :banghead:

ARtraveler
03-07-2013, 02:45 PM
After reading both posts a second time or so, I want to say that you are right on. Customer service, and just treating the customer right, are becoming a lost art these days. Likewise for the additional posts from the ladies. When I run into those situations I vote with my pocketbook.

I could go into a one pager here also--but will just stand back.

grumpybob
03-07-2013, 05:31 PM
I agree with what you are saying. Even though I'm small I can get pretty tough when I feel someone is pulling my chain, and will stop doing business with them.

What gets me going lately is people at the counter getting waited on and they are on their cell phone talking to a friend and the service person doesn't say something to them like 'GET OFFF YOUR :cus: :banghead: PHONE AND PAY ATTENTION'

SpyderDuck
03-08-2013, 11:58 PM
The old adage "the squeeky wheel gets the grease" holds true in customer service. I fully understand your rant. Carry on.

You'll be pleased to know that those squeaky wheels get nowhere with me. The more obnoxious a customer is with me, the less inspired I am to help him. As a female whose customers are mostly maintenance men and engineers, I do get attitude. It doesn't last long after they find that this 'little gal desk jockey' can read their machine prints better than they can, and can figure out what they need even though I have never seen the machinery in person. They quickly learn to stop squeaking when they realize that I'm the one person that can get them back the $50k+ per hour they are losing because their machine is down (usually caused by them doing something less than intelligent).

On those occasions, I simply hang up and smile, thinking to myself "It's good to be the OEM". But I admit, I am probably one of the few exceptions to the squeaky wheel rule. On the flip side-

Here's a good one - this week, I had a customer demand to know the manufacturers and all descriptive information needed so he could get parts for my machinery 'locally' instead of from us. Now, that's some gall. I know, the OEM usually has the highest price, but you're paying for their technology and know-how, and the knowledge that the item you buy will be correct. It's darn rude to blatantly expect them to provide their sources and technological information on a silver platter so you can take your business elsewhere. If the guy wants to do that, he can just do some research and try to find that information on his own, ya know?

Also, I have one cretin who is always disrespectful. He actually told me once that I could 'go back to sleep now' after I had answered a question for him. At that time, I was a salary employee who was putting in extra hours every day, and taking work home in the evenings and weekends, for no other reward than to make sure my customers were taken care of. After taking time to calm myself, I called his manager, who is a very nice man, and politely requested that this man did not ever contact me again, and detailed my reasons. He understood completely, as the cretin is rude to nearly everyone he speaks to. I didn't have to speak to him for a couple of years, and when he was the only person in his office one day, and HAD to call me... well, I thought I would have hickeys on my butt from all the kissing he was doing.

I would LOVE to work in a call center and actually give customers correct answers to their questions and solve their problems, unlike the folks we all get when we call the cable company, phone company, insurance company, etc... but the reason we get such poor service is that call center personnel are paid very little. It's sad, really. Wouldn't the world be a happier place if we all got the right answer the first time, instead of it taking 17 calls and a bottle of antacid to solve the smallest problem? I would think that would be more cost-effective for companies, but they don't see it that way, unfortunately. And don't even get me started on the dude with the Indian accent who introduces himself as 'Bill', lol!