PDA

View Full Version : Spyder possibly over heating when summer hits

Mythincperson
03-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Howdy all,

I got my Spyder back in April 2012, it's a 2011, new, zero milles. I live in the Seattle WA area, so temps are mixed. During the summer we had temps from 80 to high 90's. During that time she ranged from 5 to 6 bars. Only once did I have an issue and that was right after my 600 mile break-in tune-up. The radiator cap wasn't fully seated and she dumped what seemed to me a ton of coolant on the garage floor.

I have been able to get some nice rides in during the winter up here with the right gear. Temps have been ranging in the 40's to 50's. My concern is that in stop-n-go traffic she's hitting 6 bars. While moving she's around 3 or 4 bars.

All my fluid levels are good, as a matter of fact, just did the 4600 tune-up early (only had 4000, but she was in shop for a transmission problem). Checked circuits and they are seated properly. I plan on trying some of the Royal Purple Ice also.

My concern is that with the temps being where they are now, should I be seeing her hit 6 bars even in stop-n-go? Is this going to be a problem in the summer time when temps start to climb? Or is this normal, move along, these are not the droids you seek.....

Suggestions... ideas..... comments please http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/pondder.gif http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Thanks,
Myth

Chupaca
03-05-2013, 10:11 PM
We ryde all year round, here lately have had up to 93 and the bike runs at the 5/6 bar level. I did add the spyderpops cooling blocks and scoop extension with the lower vent and add water wetter to the coolant. Hope this helps you out...:thumbup:

NancysToy
03-05-2013, 10:48 PM
That is the normal range in summer temps...especially in stop-n-go. You will get a warning on the display if it actually overheats.

Hovdestar
03-05-2013, 11:20 PM
I bought my Spyder from a dealer in the Columbia Basin, in Kennewick, Washington, last July. Rode the 120 miles home in hot, hot weather. Was 105 degrees F. heading up Cabbage Hill, which is 6 miles of 6% grade near Pendleton, Oregon. I, too, was concerned with overheating, as the temp. was getting close to the red. However, it did not overheat. I talked to the dealer a while later, and was told that had it actually overheated, it would have gone into the limp home mode. Stopped at the Emigrant Springs park near Meacham, and never knew that 90 degrees F. in the shade could feel so cool. Lots of stops and ice water, and Gatorade, consumed on that trip. <M>

Arr MiHardies
03-06-2013, 12:28 AM
I live in Vegas. Needless to say summers here can be brutal. My thermostat stays at a consistent 5 bars even in 120 degree weather. Has not once overheated on me.
Sometimes it will throw an error that the temperature is out of range but it had never overheated or gone into limp mode as a result of the heat
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

daveinva
03-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Ditto the above. 5 bars is normal operating range and not all that hot (forget the actual temp, believe Lamont's posted it here before). I've seen 6 bars a few times and even a 7 bar once while in stop-and-go on hot asphalt, but the Spyder still ran. Like they say, it'll hit limp mode if it actually overheats.

That said, if you're concerned about heat, the Spyderpops mods seem to help. With the installs I'll see 4 bars while moving, and in the colder months I'll routinely run at 3 or even 2 bars. But again, the "bars" are just an arbitrary measurement, i.e. I would need to be routinely running 6 bars and over before I'd be concerned (and then the first place I'd look is for a coolant leak).

pro10is
03-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Don't worry, it's thermostatically controlled and temperature monitored. In warmer weather the electric cooling fan will come on if the water temperature rises beyond what passive cooling can handle.

bobnaquin
03-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Howdy all,

I got my Spyder back in April 2012, it's a 2011, new, zero milles. I live in the Seattle WA area, so temps are mixed. During the summer we had temps from 80 to high 90's. During that time she ranged from 5 to 6 bars. Only once did I have an issue and that was right after my 600 mile break-in tune-up. The radiator cap wasn't fully seated and she dumped what seemed to me a ton of coolant on the garage floor.

I have been able to get some nice rides in during the winter up here with the right gear. Temps have been ranging in the 40's to 50's. My concern is that in stop-n-go traffic she's hitting 6 bars. While moving she's around 3 or 4 bars.

All my fluid levels are good, as a matter of fact, just did the 4600 tune-up early (only had 4000, but she was in shop for a transmission problem). Checked circuits and they are seated properly. I plan on trying some of the Royal Purple Ice also.

My concern is that with the temps being where they are now, should I be seeing her hit 6 bars even in stop-n-go? Is this going to be a problem in the summer time when temps start to climb? Or is this normal, move along, these are not the droids you seek.....

Suggestions... ideas..... comments please http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/pondder.gif http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Thanks,
Myth
The Spyder will go into limp mode and give you a message if it overheats. If it doesn't do that, it is not overheated.
I was in stop and go traffice last summer in 107 degrees. The Spyder went to 7 bars and kept purring right along. I would think that overheating where you live would not be much of a concern.

2 Cruysyn
03-06-2013, 09:05 AM
You may experience a check engine light if you are out in the heat and stop for lunch or some such thing. You can imagine what goes through the mind when your screen turns orange with that kind of message on it when you start her up to get back on the road.

It's kinda worrisome until you retrieve the code which will more than likely be P0127 which is simply Intake Air Temperature Too High. Happened to me Sep 2012 when it was unbearably hot. Apparently the heat from the ride combined with the sun bearing down on my black Spyder and the heat radiating off the black parking lot all attributed to the cause. Hasn't happened since.

So, not to worry just make sure you remember how to pull the code if this happens to you.

xpbqn
03-06-2013, 10:33 AM
On mine, there was one time it went to 7 bar 'cause I parked in the direct sun light after a ride. When I came back out, it showed that the spyder's temp was HIGH, but went down to 5 bars after 2 minutes. Scared me for a moment 'cause that was the second day I had my spyder. The average bars that I see when riding was 4 - 5. In Houston, Texas summer months, I've seen it went up to 6 bars, and vary between 5 and 6.

Nothing to worry about (yet).

MMMII
03-06-2013, 12:05 PM
I live in Vegas. Needless to say summers here can be brutal. My thermostat stays at a consistent 5 bars even in 120 degree weather. Has not once overheated on me.
Sometimes it will throw an error that the temperature is out of range but it had never overheated or gone into limp mode as a result of the heat
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Vegas summers are/were a concern of mine.. Glad to hear that you haven't had issues.

jerpinoy
03-06-2013, 01:27 PM
The bar goes up and down and first I was worried but now I don't and I just make sure my coolant is top off.

and keep my eye on very obvious like steam and coolant overflow.

ARtraveler
03-06-2013, 02:57 PM
As long as the fan is kicking in when the temps are high enough, it does not sound like you are having a problem.

We don't get a lot of temps here over 70, but the :spyder2: does not like to idle for long periods, as in waiting for traffic to move when road gets closed for accidents or other incidents.

In those situations, I just shut the engine off.

Mythincperson
03-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks all, being a new rider I'm still learning. I love my Spyder and want to keep her in the best operating state I can.

I'll how she does as the warmer weather starts and try some of the tips ya'll have given me if I start having issues.

Thanks,
Myth