PDA

View Full Version : Explanation for dummies: Communications/Entertainment Options for Spyder RT

daveinva
03-05-2013, 01:48 PM
When I get bored, I often go onto the BRP site to "build a Spyder" just to see what I can get for what price.

Now, I think the Build a Spyder function is broken-- it doesn't always appear to me to capture what comes stock versus what's an option, e.g. if I select an RT Limited as my baseline, it'll still show me unselected options (like the Garmin GPS) that are supposed to come with the Limited trim.

This got me to thinking: what, exactly, does each of the electronic communications/entertainment options do for the Spyder RT? What comes stock? What does the satellite package add? The CB harness? The bluetooth dongle? Some of the packages look like they may need other options to work together, while some look fine alone.

Any one have a simple way of laying this out WRT the RT, RT-S, RT Limited for a dummy like me? Thanks!

Bob Denman
03-05-2013, 01:51 PM
From what I've been able to figure out; you need the entertainment harness in order to be able to add any of the optional accessories to the "regular" AM/FM radio.
I think that it adds all of the plugs that are needed for the hookups... :shocked:

ARtraveler
03-05-2013, 01:55 PM
I will just watch this one. :popcorn::popcorn:

I have not progressed past the regular entertainment system. No additional add-ons for me. I have found out that it sounds cool to have the radio set to the same station on both :spyder2:,s as we go down the road. Gives a neat stereo effect, and has turned a few heads. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
03-05-2013, 02:04 PM
I keep liking the idea of XM radio...
But I don't care much for the subscription costs! :shocked:
So it's just me, the AM/FM, and the IPod!

DLewis
03-05-2013, 03:52 PM
I keep liking the idea of XM radio...
But I don't care much for the subscription costs! :shocked:
So it's just me, the AM/FM, and the IPod!

:agree:

daveinva
03-05-2013, 04:03 PM
From what I've been able to figure out; you need the entertainment harness in order to be able to add any of the optional accessories to the "regular" AM/FM radio.
I think that it adds all of the plugs that are needed for the hookups... :shocked:

So, tell me if I'm wrong:
1. If I just want the AM/FM radio, I do nothing, comes stock.
2. If I want satellite radio, I add the satellite radio kit with entertainment harness, $579.98.
3. If I want to bluetooth the AM/FM radio (no satellite) to my helmet (say, my Sena SMH10), I need both the entertainment harness AND the bluetooth dongle, right? I can't just add a bluetooth dongle by itself, right? So that's $249.99.
4. If I want to connect via CB, I need to add the CB & Communication System with entertainment harness. That's $939.98. What's the difference between THIS entertainment harness and the satellite radio kit one in #2? What if I wanted both satellite radio AND a CB?
5. What's required to get the GPS to talk to my helmet? BT dongle? Entertainment harness? Which one?

See what I mean? It's about as clear as mud...

DR Buck
03-05-2013, 04:16 PM
So, tell me if I'm wrong:
1. If I just want the AM/FM radio, I do nothing, comes stock.
2. If I want satellite radio, I add the satellite radio kit with entertainment harness, $579.98.
3. If I want to bluetooth the AM/FM radio (no satellite) to my helmet (say, my Sena SMH10), I need both the entertainment harness AND the bluetooth dongle, right? I can't just add a bluetooth dongle by itself, right? So that's $249.99.
4. If I want to connect via CB, I need to add the CB & Communication System with entertainment harness. That's $939.98. What's the difference between THIS entertainment harness and the satellite radio kit one in #2? What if I wanted both satellite radio AND a CB?
5. What's required to get the GPS to talk to my helmet? BT dongle? Entertainment harness? Which one?

See what I mean? It's about as clear as mud...

I can't answer anything except #5. On my Limited the GPS talks directly to my Scala G9's or through my cell phone to the Scala G9s. The Garman is independent bluetooth and the Rt Ltd needs nothing extra.

daveinva
03-05-2013, 04:20 PM
I can't answer anything except #5. On my Limited the GPS talks directly to my Scala G9's or through my cell phone to the Scala G9s. The Garman is independent bluetooth and the Rt Ltd needs nothing extra.

Leave it to a fellow Virginian to know what they're talking about... thanks! :thumbup:

harrypottar
03-05-2013, 04:50 PM
The entertainment harness is the same for all and you only need one.

i have the 2012 RT Limited, currently just a garage ornament, at the time of purchase I pushed a deal for everything except XM.

XM used to be worth it, but recently everything that I listen too is on a loop, listen long enough it just repeats. Might as well just use a large iPod, if XM was around $4.00 a month I would go back.

Anyway, I need the entertainment harness for the CB, intercom communication and cell phone adaptor. Never really had chance to test the CB no one ever seems to have one, or no one wants to talk to me. The phone harness allows you to use the BRP head set to talk to you cell phone via the zumo GPS. However no one can ever hear me so no longer use it. Zumo point fingers at head set and BRP, BRP point fingers at Garmin, I'm just the man in the middle.

harry

Bob Denman
03-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Dave,
You're overthinking this...:shocked:

Just give your dealer the Platinum Card... And don't look at the bottom line as you sign the slip!:roflblack:

daveinva
03-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Dave,
You're overthinking this...:shocked:

Just give your dealer the Platinum Card... And don't look at the bottom line as you sign the slip!:roflblack:

Well heck, if I'm going to follow that strategy, I might as well *marry* my dealer, no?

:joke::p

FlaBound
03-05-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm a relative newbie spyder rider, who hasn't done so much as change my oil yet.
But I did take a look at the new sena dongle with my dealer.
He will provide the BRP dongle, and a pair of sena headsets for $655.00 L&M ( and it also includes installing Baja Ron's sway bar )
My understanding is when installed, I'll basically have the same functionality as the $1,200 hardwired system, but without the CB.
Meaning, the GPS,Phone,Radio,Ipod,and passenger will all be accessible through my headset.
Seems to be a pretty good deal, if I can live without the "breaker breaker 1-niner good buddy"

Bob Denman
03-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Well heck, if I'm going to follow that strategy, I might as well *marry* my dealer, no?

:joke::p

That depends... Can he cook too?? :shocked: :roflblack: