PDA

View Full Version : Wifey expressed interest

Questions
03-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Hello Lady SpyderLovers,

Would like to get your prespective and impressions of the Spyder. My wife would like to go riding with us (my buddy and I ride the Aprilia Mana) and we thought that either the Spyder RT or ST may be a good fit for her. The less shifting for her, the better it would be and of course the safety of having three wheels for better balance than say a Vespa (which she currently rides) is an added benefit. She's already taken the MSF course and has her M1 certification. So let me hear if you think this is a path we should explore.

Sincerely,

xpartan

otter28169
03-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Absolutely!! Just be careful though, you could be bitten by the :spyder: too:doorag:

DocRags
03-05-2013, 01:29 PM
That's the route a lot of us have taken...riding the Spyder without previous motorcycle experience. (Probably makes it easier to adjust to the difference between riding 2 wheels and 3 wheels if you don't have to unlearn the 2 wheel lessons)! She'd probably prefer the ST or RT, although some of the women are on the RS or RSS. Best way to figure out which would be her preference would be to go to a local dealer while they are offering demo rides. If demo rides weren't being offered, just sitting on the different bikes would at least allow her to see what position she prefers since each of the models is different. I personally wanted the SE5 so I wouldn't have to worry about shifting manually; I love it.

Chupaca
03-05-2013, 01:35 PM
I would venture to say that outside the scooter world the spyders have the most female ryders out there. They are currently having test rides all over the place and once she tests one that will be it...pay attention to what otter said..you may be bitten soon after...:clap:

ARtraveler
03-05-2013, 01:45 PM
:welcome: You should test drive both flavors of the :spyder2:,s you are interested in. The new ST is the mid-ground between the RS (sport) version and the RT (touring) version. Currently, I recommend the RT because of all its comforts. I have not had an opportunity to test drive a ST, so cannot give you further information on that.

Price wise, the ST can be as much or more than some of the RT options--depending on which model you like.

Get an SE5 transmission though--that takes care of the "I can't shift this thing" argument.

akspyderlady loves her 2011 RT A & C and put 5000 miles on it from mid July through September of 2012. IMO: Not bad for two and a half months.

PrairieSpyder
03-05-2013, 01:50 PM
In my past riding lives I had a Burgman maxi-scooter. I really liked the sitting position of scooters, and so, when I decided to go for 3 wheels, I prefered the RT. I like the position and having the storage. But if I was starting now, I'd consider an ST and a trailer. I haven't tried the ST yet, but hope to soon.

FaranH
03-05-2013, 02:07 PM
I'm going to make an assumption that if she likes her Vespa, she may prefer the ST to the RT because the RT may feel too bulky to her. The ST is sporty and still comfortable. But the very best thing as others have suggested, is to test drive. Who knows? She may end up liking the RT feel. Either choice would be great and I'll bet she loves it.:thumbup:

p.s. I was a non-rider before I got my Spyder and took to it like a fish to water. If her motorcycle experience is relatively minimal, she'll probably feel comfortable the Spyder more quickly than if she has lots of 2-wheel experience to "unlearn".

LindaG
03-05-2013, 02:16 PM
We purchased an RT 2012 last Aug. and started riding with a group out of SanAntonio. Lets just say sharing did not work. Two weeks ago we purchased an RS-S SE5 2010 for me. We have friends that have his and hers RT's., but we went a cheaper route. She likes the Rt because it is easier to reach the controls. And that is true, I have no problem driving the RT. My RS-S has the 4 1/2 inch risers that make it easier to drive. I tired a manual shift and could not reach the clutch handle, but the SE-5 is great. After the first ride my husband installed mirror extentions, which worked very well, before all I could see were my hands. If possible let her try several bikes to find out what works for her, we all have different needs.

cohoff
03-05-2013, 02:39 PM
i concur with all previous posts. let her take a test drive on both the st and rt. at the very least, let her sit on them and get a feel for them. i had no previous motorcycle experience and have wanted a bike for several years. i had a mini-stroke in april 2012. i thought my desire to ride was over because i no longer trusted myself to hold a bike up. the spyder changed my life. i bought a used 2008 gs in july 2012. not knowing how i'd take to ryding i didnt want to spend alot of money on a new one. i was addicted after my first ryde. two months later i put my leg over a 2012 rt se5 a&c and instantly fell in love. sold the 2008, bought the 2012 and it was the best thing i've ever done for myself. initially i missed the manual, but quickly realized thats since i live in a rural state, most of my ryding is on the open road and once i'm up to speed, i dont do much shifting. i love the semi-automatic now and wouldnt go back to a manual shift. since i have to ryde 100 miles before i get to a town of any size, i much prefer the rt for the comfort. take her to a dealer and let her decide which one she likes. she'll love ryding a spyder!

cohoff
03-05-2013, 02:44 PM
also......have your wife get ahold of faran in the above post and request to come over to 'girls on spyders'. its a group of women only spyder ryders. faran is one of the site managers and she can give your wife the invite. its a fun group, lots of good information too.

Questions
03-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Hello Lady SpyderLovers,

Would like to get your prespective and impressions of the Spyder. My wife would like to go riding with us (my buddy and I ride the Aprilia Mana) and we thought that either the Spyder RT or ST may be a good fit for her. The less shifting for her, the better it would be and of course the safety of having three wheels for better balance than say a Vespa (which she currently rides) is an added benefit. She's already taken the MSF course and has her M1 certification. So let me hear if you think this is a path we should explore.

Sincerely,

xpartan

You all are great, thanks for the quick responses as well as advice. Very much appreciated :ohyea:

Absolutely!! Just be careful though, you could be bitten by the :spyder: too:doorag:

lol...well we had discussed this. I think if she gets comfortable with the Spyder, when we go on long rides, I'd join her :D

That's the route a lot of us have taken...riding the Spyder without previous motorcycle experience. (Probably makes it easier to adjust to the difference between riding 2 wheels and 3 wheels if you don't have to unlearn the 2 wheel lessons)! She'd probably prefer the ST or RT, although some of the women are on the RS or RSS. Best way to figure out which would be her preference would be to go to a local dealer while they are offering demo rides. If demo rides weren't being offered, just sitting on the different bikes would at least allow her to see what position she prefers since each of the models is different. I personally wanted the SE5 so I wouldn't have to worry about shifting manually; I love it.

I know she would prefer the more upright position and I do believe they are offering demo rides in the area, so will definitely look into this

I would venture to say that outside the scooter world the spyders have the most female ryders out there. They are currently having test rides all over the place and once she tests one that will be it...pay attention to what otter said..you may be bitten soon after...:clap:

lol...point taken

:welcome: You should test drive both flavors of the :spyder2:,s you are interested in. The new ST is the mid-ground between the RS (sport) version and the RT (touring) version. Currently, I recommend the RT because of all its comforts. I have not had an opportunity to test drive a ST, so cannot give you further information on that.

Price wise, the ST can be as much or more than some of the RT options--depending on which model you like.

Get an SE5 transmission though--that takes care of the "I can't shift this thing" argument.

akspyderlady loves her 2011 RT A & C and put 5000 miles on it from mid July through September of 2012. IMO: Not bad for two and a half months.

Very true...would it be better to go new or look for "fairly new"?

In my past riding lives I had a Burgman maxi-scooter. I really liked the sitting position of scooters, and so, when I decided to go for 3 wheels, I prefered the RT. I like the position and having the storage. But if I was starting now, I'd consider an ST and a trailer. I haven't tried the ST yet, but hope to soon.

I know when we sat on one at the motorcycle show a few years ago, we really did enjoy the seating positions as well as all of the bells and gadgets

I'm going to make an assumption that if she likes her Vespa, she may prefer the ST to the RT because the RT may feel too bulky to her. The ST is sporty and still comfortable. But the very best thing as others have suggested, is to test drive. Who knows? She may end up liking the RT feel. Either choice would be great and I'll bet she loves it.:thumbup:

p.s. I was a non-rider before I got my Spyder and took to it like a fish to water. If her motorcycle experience is relatively minimal, she'll probably feel comfortable the Spyder more quickly than if she has lots of 2-wheel experience to "unlearn".

Thanks FaranH and I'll also mention your site to her

We purchased an RT 2012 last Aug. and started riding with a group out of SanAntonio. Lets just say sharing did not work. Two weeks ago we purchased an RS-S SE5 2010 for me. We have friends that have his and hers RT's., but we went a cheaper route. She likes the Rt because it is easier to reach the controls. And that is true, I have no problem driving the RT. My RS-S has the 4 1/2 inch risers that make it easier to drive. I tired a manual shift and could not reach the clutch handle, but the SE-5 is great. After the first ride my husband installed mirror extentions, which worked very well, before all I could see were my hands. If possible let her try several bikes to find out what works for her, we all have different needs.

Damn, so does this mean I'll have to buy my own? :yikes:

i concur with all previous posts. let her take a test drive on both the st and rt. at the very least, let her sit on them and get a feel for them. i had no previous motorcycle experience and have wanted a bike for several years. i had a mini-stroke in april 2012. i thought my desire to ride was over because i no longer trusted myself to hold a bike up. the spyder changed my life. i bought a used 2008 gs in july 2012. not knowing how i'd take to ryding i didnt want to spend alot of money on a new one. i was addicted after my first ryde. two months later i put my leg over a 2012 rt se5 a&c and instantly fell in love. sold the 2008, bought the 2012 and it was the best thing i've ever done for myself. initially i missed the manual, but quickly realized thats since i live in a rural state, most of my ryding is on the open road and once i'm up to speed, i dont do much shifting. i love the semi-automatic now and wouldnt go back to a manual shift. since i have to ryde 100 miles before i get to a town of any size, i much prefer the rt for the comfort. take her to a dealer and let her decide which one she likes. she'll love ryding a spyder!

I think with all the awesome advice everyone has given, this may be what she needs to make the jump...appreciate the info and advice.

also......have your wife get ahold of faran in the above post and request to come over to 'girls on spyders'. its a group of women only spyder ryders. faran is one of the site managers and she can give your wife the invite. its a fun group, lots of good information too.

Note taken

Linda8802
03-05-2013, 03:47 PM
I have owned an RS manual last year and I went to the RT semi-automatic in Oct. I love both. I wanted to get away from the clutch due to some wrist and hand issues. It would tire me out after a long ride and lots of shifting up and down. I love my new RT. There is lots of specials on the 2012's now. I love the storage, radio, taller windshield, cruise, heated gripes, comfortable seating and positioning, smooth handling and back rest for my 9 year old. I will miss my yellow wild child spydie and all the atention because it looked and sounded awsome. But, I will love all the upgrades and charm of the 2012. I would stay away from the 2013 until the got the steering corrected. I used to drive scooter (250 honda Helix), 450 Kaw. LTD and 250 Yamaha. There is NO comparisson to my spyder. I love it. I have the Spyder fever forever. Good luck in your search. Test drive and see.... you will be biten too. Enjoy.

Questions
03-05-2013, 04:51 PM
I have owned an RS manual last year and I went to the RT semi-automatic in Oct. I love both. I wanted to get away from the clutch due to some wrist and hand issues. It would tire me out after a long ride and lots of shifting up and down. I love my new RT. There is lots of specials on the 2012's now. I love the storage, radio, taller windshield, cruise, heated gripes, comfortable seating and positioning, smooth handling and back rest for my 9 year old. I will miss my yellow wild child spydie and all the atention because it looked and sounded awsome. But, I will love all the upgrades and charm of the 2012. I would stay away from the 2013 until the got the steering corrected. I used to drive scooter (250 honda Helix), 450 Kaw. LTD and 250 Yamaha. There is NO comparisson to my spyder. I love it. I have the Spyder fever forever. Good luck in your search. Test drive and see.... you will be biten too. Enjoy.

Hi Linda,

She's a piano professor so definitely have to watch out for those wrist issues. Appreciate the information regarding the RT semi-automatic and will look into a test drive sometime soon. I was reading some of the postings about the 2013 model...yikes!!!

Barry

Big Arm
03-05-2013, 04:57 PM
I was reading some of the postings about the 2013 model...yikes!!!

Barry

Any problems with the 2013 models, are being addressed by BRP

FaranH
03-05-2013, 05:12 PM

Just to clarify, it's a group on Facebook, not it's own website. But not open to the public so it's truly women-only.

cohoff
03-05-2013, 05:49 PM
thanx for clarifying faran

Questions
03-07-2013, 08:36 AM
Just to clarify, it's a group on Facebook, not it's own website. But not open to the public so it's truly women-only.

She has a FB account..give me the particulars and she'll "like" you (or at least I think that's what you call it on FB) :D

currin20fan
03-07-2013, 09:36 AM
She has a FB account..give me the particulars and she'll "like" you (or at least I think that's what you call it on FB) :D

have her go on facebook and search "girls on spyders". Faran would take it from there. Just a note: We bought my 2011 spyder ltd in 2011. I had never driven a motorcycle. I did get the semi auto and I'm glad I did. I took to this spyder really quick and I love it. I even go grocery shopping on it. (Thats a whole other story). Ha! Enjoy and let us know what she does.
:yes:

DocRags
03-07-2013, 06:22 PM

I wanted the SE5 transmission, not because I couldn't shift this thing, but so I wouldn't have to be thinking through all the things involved in shifting plus all the things about staying safe on a motorcycle with all the crazy drivers in cars out there! I figured my brain cells would be put to better use trying to stay safe.

FaranH
03-07-2013, 07:56 PM

I added 2 ladies today, so ask her if she's one of them! She can also friend me by looking for Faran Spyderryder. Glad to get to know her!

Bonniele
03-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Hello Lady SpyderLovers,

Sincerely,

xpartan

You'll all be trading your cycles in...the web is beginning to spread. :f_spider:You'll soon be so jealous of her, you'll be wanting one also. I'm so glad I got one when my husband got one...we love riding together. Gonna love SpyderFest...long way for us to go to get there but so excited. :doorag:

I2BZ2W8
03-08-2013, 07:01 AM
If you want to ride with her I would suggest the RT...I have an RS-SE5 and I love it..

CJ/johnnyg
03-08-2013, 09:57 AM
I too never had a MC license before always rode behind hubby. When he got the RT SE5 I decide I wanted to learn how. So I took my test and class on his RT and I love it. John said it took him about 500 mile to be comfortable and to adjust to the 3 wheels when he got it. I took to it like Faranh. However I bought the RS Se5 and I love it. I prefer to ride my RS over Johns RT. The RT is to bulky for me. I do have the 4" risers and it sets up nicely. I haven't tried the new ST but if I was going to buy a new one I would definitely look into trying the ST. I think it would have the best of the two. comfort and sport. We are a two :spyder2: family and love every min. of it. You always have someone to ride with.

dogdays
03-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Hello Lady SpyderLovers,

Sincerely,

xpartan

I have had 3 two wheelers then had neck and hand surgery found it hard to ride my bike so found I was riding less and less but missed it. Did a test drive on a RT and then the new Harley trike for shure it would be the Harley, but I hated the trike, no comfort there!!!! The RT was my bike. I have a viper red 2011 with 14,000 miles on it and have not had it for 2ys. yet, we ride, Mi to Sturgis, yellowstone ect. I LOVE IT NO 2 WHEELS FOR ME, NEVER AGAIN!!! ride with all Harley rides and I am so happy, we also have a Harley Road glide and I hate ridding it, but some like pain. Hope this helps, go test drive!!!

Questions
03-16-2013, 08:21 PM
I added 2 ladies today, so ask her if she's one of them! She can also friend me by looking for Faran Spyderryder. Glad to get to know her!

Hi Faran,

Apologize for the delay in responding...we just got back from vacation so I didn't see your post until now. I forwarded the info to her, so hopefully she'll send you a friend request soon.

Barry

Questions
03-16-2013, 08:24 PM
have her go on facebook and search "girls on spyders". Faran would take it from there. Just a note: We bought my 2011 spyder ltd in 2011. I had never driven a motorcycle. I did get the semi auto and I'm glad I did. I took to this spyder really quick and I love it. I even go grocery shopping on it. (Thats a whole other story). Ha! Enjoy and let us know what she does.

Thanks for the additional info and I'm sure she'll definitely catch the bug:yes:

Questions
03-16-2013, 08:31 PM
I wanted the SE5 transmission, not because I couldn't shift this thing, but so I wouldn't have to be thinking through all the things involved in shifting plus all the things about staying safe on a motorcycle with all the crazy drivers in cars out there! I figured my brain cells would be put to better use trying to stay safe.

I think once we started talking more and more about the safety, she started to warm up to the idea. Plus she's had two "spills" with her Vespa...I think she would feel much safer as well as secure on the Spyder.

You'll all be trading your cycles in...the web is beginning to spread. :f_spider:You'll soon be so jealous of her, you'll be wanting one also. I'm so glad I got one when my husband got one...we love riding together. Gonna love SpyderFest...long way for us to go to get there but so excited. :doorag:

Well, it's going to have to take a lot for me to give up my Aprilia, but the joy of riding with her would make me give up a ride of two ;)

If you want to ride with her I would suggest the RT...I have an RS-SE5 and I love it..

Will definitely sit on the different models for sure

I too never had a MC license before always rode behind hubby. When he got the RT SE5 I decide I wanted to learn how. So I took my test and class on his RT and I love it. John said it took him about 500 mile to be comfortable and to adjust to the 3 wheels when he got it. I took to it like Faranh. However I bought the RS Se5 and I love it. I prefer to ride my RS over Johns RT. The RT is to bulky for me. I do have the 4" risers and it sets up nicely. I haven't tried the new ST but if I was going to buy a new one I would definitely look into trying the ST. I think it would have the best of the two. comfort and sport. We are a two :spyder2: family and love every min. of it. You always have someone to ride with.

I can just see the "Kool-Aid" smile on her face :2thumbs:

I have had 3 two wheelers then had neck and hand surgery found it hard to ride my bike so found I was riding less and less but missed it. Did a test drive on a RT and then the new Harley trike for shure it would be the Harley, but I hated the trike, no comfort there!!!! The RT was my bike. I have a viper red 2011 with 14,000 miles on it and have not had it for 2ys. yet, we ride, Mi to Sturgis, yellowstone ect. I LOVE IT NO 2 WHEELS FOR ME, NEVER AGAIN!!! ride with all Harley rides and I am so happy, we also have a Harley Road glide and I hate ridding it, but some like pain. Hope this helps, go test drive!!!

Very helpful and thank you so much!!!

Questions
03-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Hey all,

Just want to thank everyone for their input and advice...it is very much appreciated. The wifey and I have been discussing the Spyder and she really likes the idea, so I've sent her the information regarding Faran's FB page and I'll let her take it from there.

In the meantime, we've just returned from a trip to Costa Rica. OMG!!! What a fantastic place to visit. We did a fly and drive package, so flew into San Jose and rented an SUV to tour the rest of the country. So we head out of the big city and up into the rainforest and mountains near Arenal Volcano. One day, we have to stop and fill up the SUV and over in the corner of the gas station lot, we see this:

How about that!!! :ohyea:

xpartan

smurfette
03-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Hello Lady SpyderLovers,

Sincerely,

xpartan

Here at my house, we are a blended "trike" family. Hubby has a 2009 HD Tri-Glide, and I rode with him for about a year. However, he knew I wanted to be in the driver's seat. Although I tried, I'm just too short for the wide gas tank on the HD's. A friend of mine who owns a Spyder let me bend her ear for a while, and it turned out the dealer is only about 15 miles away. We went there on a vacation, and the rest is history! I never even had to test drive her. A few short days later, my 2010 Orbital Blue RT-A, was home! And she is also the SE-5 (semi automatic), transmission, so there is way less shifting involved. IMHO, the best thing to do would be to go test drive both models, and go from there. It is definitely a great path to follow! If you have computer access, try searching for Girls On Spyders on Facebook. It's a fantastic place to talk with other female riders, who can offer a great wealth of experience and knowledge! Good Luck!!!

Flight Risk
03-19-2013, 06:04 PM
I too had a Burgman Exec. But quickly got rid of it. I did a test drive on both the RS and the RTS SE5. My back did not care for the RS so I bought the RT. I ride almost every weekend with a local motorcycle group. We also do several over night rides so I love the Turing aspect of the RT. Lots of room for gear. Mine is a 2011 and I plan to keep it.

Best of luck to her!!!

bruisersbaby
03-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Short and sweet - never rode anything. Bruiser bought first RT in 2010. Asked me if I wanted to learn how to drive. He bought a Vulcan, had it 10 months, and traded it in on 2012 RT. I never had a desire to do two wheels> I do enjoy the manual transmission. It's all in what's she's comfortable with, and WILL become 'addicted' to ryding. Bruiser and I have a good time ryding together separately.

Daisyjoe
03-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Same story. This is my first bike. Wanted one for years and this looked like something I could handle. I ended up getting the RS because with the RT I felt like I was sitting on a tank. It felt big and bulky compared to the RS. I like that sporty feeling. I did get the SE5 and I love it. I had absolutely no problem learning to drive the bike. I guess my experience riding ATVs made it much easier for me to adjust. If I was buying one today, I would buy the ST. It combines the best of both worlds. Regardless of the model she chooses, there is nothing like the feel of the world going by as you drive your OWN bike. Happy hunting!

Questions
03-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Same story. This is my first bike. Wanted one for years and this looked like something I could handle. I ended up getting the RS because with the RT I felt like I was sitting on a tank. It felt big and bulky compared to the RS. I like that sporty feeling. I did get the SE5 and I love it. I had absolutely no problem learning to drive the bike. I guess my experience riding ATVs made it much easier for me to adjust. If I was buying one today, I would buy the ST. It combines the best of both worlds. Regardless of the model she chooses, there is nothing like the feel of the world going by as you drive your OWN bike. Happy hunting!

Hi Daisyjoe,

Excellent information and advice. She's definitely one for having fun but also making things easier all the way around.

xpartan

donec
03-28-2013, 05:01 PM
I even go grocery shopping on it. (Thats a whole other story). Ha! Enjoy and let us know what she does.
How about sharing you grocery shopping experiences with your spyder and how you carry your groceries?