PDA

View Full Version : WIRING RS to HARBOR FREIGHT TRAILER

jtpollock
03-05-2013, 12:37 PM
WOW this was like very hard to get all the parts together but here it is with thanks to Len, Tx Web Rider and my guy at RPM in Lakewood Colorado
63374 :bowdown:

retread
03-05-2013, 01:35 PM
If your trailer is a Tag a long, check it's wiring, the harness on mine had bare wires shorting to ground. With that fixed, it's a pretty good trailer.

john

jtpollock
03-05-2013, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE=retread;583141]If your trailer is a Tag a long, check it's wiring, the harness on mine had bare wires shorting to ground. With that fixed, it's a pretty good trailer.

john[/Ya john Thanks that was the first thing I noticed so I taped both connectors I hope to get many miles of good road trips from the little trailer :2thumbs::yes::yes:]

Some Guy
03-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Another hint...take the plastic plugs off the front of the rails and look at the wires there. They are held together with Scotch locks and mine had bare wires. I found out the hard way when they made contact and killed all of lights on my Spyder. :gaah:

jtpollock
03-06-2013, 08:10 AM
[QUOTE=Some Guy;583214]Another hint...take the plastic plugs off the front of the rails and look at the wires there. They are held together with Scotch locks and mine had bare wires. I found out the hard way when they made contact and killed all of lights on my Spyder. :gaah:[/QUOTE Ya I think you are both talking about the same thing but I am happy to see that everyone is so helpfull. Went to the police department to get a VIN verication no problem $5 but wnen I got to DMV they told me I needed a certified Instection at Stat Patrol anaother $25 and they do the inspection by apointment only thats a day off $300. Hay Thanks for youer help keep the rubber side down jtpollock :yes::yes::thumbup:]

AZSPYDER
03-30-2013, 09:11 AM
What is that parts list needed to wire the trailer?:bowdown:

jtpollock
04-04-2013, 07:24 AM
[QUOTE=AZSPYDER;597472]What is that parts list needed to wire the trailer?:bowdown:[/See mp PM jtpollock:thumbup:]

shelbydave
04-04-2013, 07:45 AM
[QUOTE=AZSPYDER;597472]What is that parts list needed to wire the trailer?:bowdown:[/See mp PM jtpollock:thumbup:]

Can you post it, or shoot me a PM also?

jtpollock
04-04-2013, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=shelbydave;600266][QUOTE=jtpollock;600251]

Can you post it, or shoot me a PM also?[/I posted the photo of the parts you will need the plug and play parts you will get from tricled that will be 2 turn signal connectors and 1 break light connector just go to there website and match up the photo then you will need to go the the auto store and get the trailer connection and LED tail lights be sure to get the one that has seperate break and tail lights and is compatable with LED lights when I used the standard lights they blinked to fast. The Connector is White:ground, Red:break light, Green:rt turn, Yellow:lt Trun, Brown: park and tail lights the wires from tricled are, Orange: Break, White:tail/running Lights, Black:Groung the turn signals are pluged into the wire with the strip the solid black wireis the ground hope this is clear good luck :yes::yes: jtpollock]

lmfarmer94
05-09-2013, 07:28 PM
On the black ground that comes off the 3 pole OEM connector from the brake/tail lights, where did you connect the black wire?
Thanks,
Marty

lmfarmer94
05-10-2013, 09:04 AM
I think I can answer my own question... I should be able to connect the ground from the Hopkins to the black ground from the tail light section.

lmfarmer94
05-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Ok I have researched it a little more. I think I will leave the ground from the 3 pole OEM connector disconnected after all that is already grounded anyway. And just connect the ground from the Hopkins to the frame somewhere to create a stronger ground. I guess I'll try this when I get home and see what kind of results that I get.

NancysToy
05-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Ok I have researched it a little more. I think I will leave the ground from the 3 pole OEM connector disconnected after all that is already grounded anyway. And just connect the ground from the Hopkins to the frame somewhere to create a stronger ground. I guess I'll try this when I get home and see what kind of results that I get.
Although a frame ground might be the best, it is hard to achieve on the Spyder. The powder coated frame and the difficulty in accessing the rear frame ground make it tough. The usual course of action is to tap into the Spyder ground wire, which is black).

lmfarmer94
05-10-2013, 01:14 PM
What would happen if I connected the ground to the negative on the battery?
Marty

jtpollock
05-10-2013, 02:57 PM
I sent a PM Sorry I did not get back to you yesterday I was off my computer all day OMG how did I survive. anyway I just connected the Hopkin ground to the OEM ground and have had no problems. I works very well and is a neat connection no lose wires.
:thumbup::thumbup:

Some Guy
05-11-2013, 12:43 PM
If you have a Triple Play unit from Custom Dynamics, you can tap those wires with a regular flat four extension harness (auto stores carry them). I did this 3 years ago and it works perfectly. Also, I changed out all of the Tag-a-long's bulbs to LEDs. Less draw and better lighting. :thumbup:

Danandbrenda
07-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Thank you for this thread! We just bought the harbor freight trailer and I was looking for a kit to hook up the trailer wiring harness. This is the next best thing! Thank you again

Danandbrenda
07-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Im having some troubles. I have a four wire connector, green, white, brown and yellow. What do I connect those wires to on the tricled plugs? Do I need to connect the brown to the orange and white on the tricled harness? Help please

lmfarmer94
07-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Did you also buy a Hopkins converter?

lmfarmer94
07-22-2013, 05:31 PM
I used the Hopkins 46255 power tail light converter. I order it off of amazon.

lmfarmer94
07-22-2013, 05:33 PM
I didn't think to ask, what do you have a RT or RS. I have a RS so I'm not sure about the wiring of a RT, if that is what you have.

Danandbrenda
07-22-2013, 05:34 PM
I sent a PM Sorry I did not get back to you yesterday I was off my computer all day OMG how did I survive. anyway I just connected the Hopkin ground to the OEM ground and have had no problems. I works very well and is a neat connection no lose wires.
:thumbup::thumbup:
No I didn't have any power converter I wired direct to the harnesses

lmfarmer94
07-22-2013, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure if that will work like that. The Hopkins converter actually takes the 5 wires from the spider and converts it to the 4 wire that is compatible with most trailers.

Danandbrenda
07-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Ok I wondered about that thanks

lmfarmer94
07-22-2013, 05:42 PM
The instructions that came with converter was very simple too. And getting the powered converter actually make the trailer lights brighter as well

Danandbrenda
07-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Got the converter hooked up and all the lights work perfect thanks so much

lmfarmer94
07-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Great. You're welcome!

Danandbrenda
04-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Ok guys new problem. I bought a set of led lights for my trailer. The left side works perfectly but the right side is way dimmer. When you hit the brakes it lights up as bright as the other side. I've got a new converter coming but don't know if that will fix it. Any ideas?