PDA

View Full Version : Rough Idle

JRWW
03-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Went to start my 2010 RTS SE5 and tacho jumped all over the place from 1000- 2500 rpm, twist the throttle and would not rev at all. Dash showed EBD fault. Turned off and removed key, walked away to allow things to shutdown. Went back started normally as if nothing had happened. Next day pulled into gas station shut off refuelled and went to start, same problem. Again walked away and restarted without any problems.
Has anyone got any clues?

ARtraveler
03-04-2013, 06:00 PM
When it happens once and goes away its usually a computer hiccup. When it happens regularly, I am suggesting have the dealer look at it to determine the problem.

Other possibilities: is the battery fully charged, and is the oil level on the money?

NancysToy
03-04-2013, 06:22 PM
First, I hope your battery is fully charged, your relays are properly seated, and your battery terminals (at the battery itself) are clean and tight. If that is the case, it sounds like it could be a communications problem of some sort, but without knowing the exact fault codes and any mods you have done to your Spyder (such as HIDs), it is impossible to troubleshoot it further over the Internet. An Electronic Brake Distribution fault is a serious safety matter. I'd get it to your dealer ASAP. nojoke

Bob Denman
03-04-2013, 06:26 PM
YOur bike is telling you that something has upset it's stomach... :shocked:
That's what the funky idle and "disconnected" throttle were all about. :gaah:
Did you pull any active codes?
I agree; EBD isn't a good sign :shocked:; get thee to thine dealer... and good luck! Let us know what they find! :thumbup:

JRWW
03-04-2013, 06:51 PM
When I got home and shut the bike down screen showed low oil level only once. Inserting the key and tuning on without starting and after it goes through the start sequence, only the red oil light remains on. So next step, I'm due for an oil change which I will do, so hopefully no more problems. Can anyone please describe the EBD fault that was on my display?

NancysToy
03-04-2013, 07:08 PM
When I got home and shut the bike down screen showed low oil level only once. Inserting the key and tuning on without starting and after it goes through the start sequence, only the red oil light remains on. So next step, I'm due for an oil change which I will do, so hopefully no more problems. Can anyone please describe the EBD fault that was on my display?

The red oil light is always on if the key is on but the engine isn't running. If it remains on after the engine starts it is either low oil pressure or a bad switch. EBD refers to Electronic Brake Distribution. This is what makes the ABS function, plays a part in the VSS control during turns, and makes your Spyder stop straight. You need to have it looked at by the Spyder doctor. Don't try to do an end run on this one! ...but check that battery first.