PDA

View Full Version : Oil tank drain plug

ABQAndy
03-04-2013, 04:14 PM
I am doing my first oil change on my RT and am ready to drain the oil but I can't budge the drain plug. Using an allen wrench with a "cheater" on it and I am bending the allen but not budging the drain plug. I am reluctant to apply more pressure, any suggestions. My dealer did the first oil change so they must have over torqued the drain plug when they replaced it. The book says only 15 ft/lbs. of torque?? Any one else had this problem or have suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

NancysToy
03-04-2013, 04:39 PM
If the dealer screwed it up. it is only right that they fix it, IMO.

fjcady
03-04-2013, 04:58 PM
I am doing my first oil change on my RT and am ready to drain the oil but I can't budge the drain plug. Using an allen wrench with a "cheater" on it and I am bending the allen but not budging the drain plug. I am reluctant to apply more pressure, any suggestions. My dealer did the first oil change so they must have over torqued the drain plug when they replaced it. The book says only 15 ft/lbs. of torque?? Any one else had this problem or have suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

just make sure you are turning it in the correct direction. i broke a plug when I was younger thinking I was going in the right direction :banghead:

Chupaca
03-04-2013, 05:10 PM
If your twisting the allen wrench and using a cheater bar its way to tight. The shops do tend to over torque them. Do have some tricks but in this case I recommend having the dealer at least loosen and re-torque to spec..by the way which plug are we talking about..?:dontknow:

ABQAndy
03-04-2013, 05:17 PM
It is the drain plug on the reserve tank, not the engine. And yes, I am trying to turn it the right way, that's the first thing I made sure of before I applied as much pressure as I was comfortable with without breaking something.

krazykat
03-04-2013, 05:52 PM
It is the drain plug on the reserve tank, not the engine. And yes, I am trying to turn it the right way, that's the first thing I made sure of before I applied as much pressure as I was comfortable with without breaking something.

I've had similar problem on other bikes in the past and one possible solution is if you are trying to remove it when "hot", wait until it is completely "cold" and try again. Seems like different materials expand at different rates when hot and appear stuck when letting them cool might help......Let us know if you succeed. (After un-sticking just tighten enough to allow you to start engine and warm up oil before changing).

ABQAndy
03-04-2013, 06:01 PM
I've had similar problem on other bikes in the past and one possible solution is if you are trying to remove it when "hot", wait until it is completely "cold" and try again. Seems like different materials expand at different rates when hot and appear stuck when letting them cool might help......Let us know if you succeed. (After un-sticking just tighten enough to allow you to start engine and warm up oil before changing).
Great suggestion, I will try that. Thanks.

Lamonster
03-04-2013, 06:19 PM
I like it warm when I loosen the plug and I give it a quick jerk and not constant pressure, more like what an impact would do.

Sarge707
03-04-2013, 06:20 PM
I take it your using an Allen wrench built into 3/8 ths socket wrench? If your using the 90 degree allen wrench you need to get the one built into the socket with a Torque wrench ? :dontknow:

Bob Denman
03-04-2013, 06:28 PM
:shocked: I think that it's worth a call to the dealer; ream the :cus: out who thought that tightening it up like that would be funny! :gaah:
Make THEM loosen it up for you...

jerpinoy
03-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Take it out like Lamont suggested. Keep on eye on the around the plug for crack.

SPYD1
03-04-2013, 07:12 PM
I would take it to the dealer. It may be cross threaded. That would create a whole new problem.

rock
03-04-2013, 07:21 PM
take it to the dealer,, if you break it you cry, if they break it, they fix it...what ever you do dont put a set of vice grips on it...you could crush the plug and be unable to move the bike...good luck

ABQAndy
03-04-2013, 11:11 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions, I am going to try Lamonster's suggestion and if that doesn't work I will take it to the dealer to deal with. Thanks again. This website is fantastic!

Big Arm
03-05-2013, 12:11 AM
I take it your using an Allen wrench built into 3/8 ths socket wrench? If your using the 90 degree allen wrench you need to get the one built into the socket with a Torque wrench ? :dontknow:

:agree: Do not use a 90 degree allen, it will be hard to hold straight, and will round out the hole. Once you remove the drain plugs, replace with ones with hex heads like on your other vehicels. 12mm and 14mm with magnets, purchased at auto parts stores. Let us know how it goes. :popcorn:

rc51ny
03-05-2013, 05:56 AM
good luck--I had a similar problem--when I finally got it out I replaced it with a regular oil drain plug with a bolt head--easier to get a socket on it--I just don't like the allen head bolts

ABQAndy
03-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Thanks to all the suggestions I finally got it out. I combined a couple of your suggestions, especially Lamonster's, and got it loose today. It made quite a loud popping noise when it broke loose but everything appears to be fine. Again, thanks to all of the suggestions. Now it's back on the road.

flybuddy
03-05-2013, 01:11 PM
You may want to consider this for future:

http://magneticdrainplug.com/motorcycle.html

budro
03-05-2013, 02:50 PM

YES to the magnetic plugs

Sarge707
03-05-2013, 05:57 PM

I put these exact plugs on my RT at the first oil Change !! I bought them prior to the change sooo I would never have a problem again!!
The magnets are 3 times the strength of the stock magnet!!!!nojoke

Trickie Dick
03-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Question: Are the plugs the same on the RS/GS and the RT?