PDA

View Full Version : The Blue Ant

Diggittt
04-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Has anyone used the Blue Ant communication device before. It looks to be compact compared to the others out there and uses blue tooth technology which is what I am looking for. (hate wires). Check out the site here: http://www.myblueant.com/interphone-motorbike-helmet-kit.htm

Diggittt

pphantom538
04-16-2008, 04:17 PM
The unit was recommended to me by someone who uses it but none of the riders I ride were compatible with it.

bjt
04-16-2008, 07:19 PM
For the past three months, dltang and I have been researching different communication systems and have flip flopped between at least 5 - 10 different ones. I believe we said no to at least two different Bluetooth communicators because of their lack of compatibility with other popular systems and our own experience with Bluetooth. With dltang's Blutooth headset for her cell phone, it was advertised as having a 15' range but she says she can't use it unless the phone is right on her so that makes the realworld range about 3 - 5 feet. Same thing for me with a wireless keyboard and mouse for my old computer. The actual useable range was about a third of what was advertised. I got rid of the wireless keyboard and mouse and went back to the old wired way. She found an online review of one of the Bluetooth motorcycle comm systems the other day. I forget what system or what site had the review but the reviewer also stated a negative to the system was that it's range was nowhere near what was advertised.

Of course, we found the same "advertised range vs. realworld range" issues with GMRS/FRS radios but we figured if we got somewhere between one and five miles range with a 26 mile advertised range radio, we could live with that. We also went back and forth on the portable CB radios but we ended up getting some really decent Motorola GMRS/FRS radios for under $20 because we had a $50 gift certificate to offset the cost. ;D

araneae
04-17-2008, 12:00 AM
I got the BlueAnt system for us and it seems to work pretty well as an bike to bike or rider to passenger intercom. We can talk bike to bike for what I'd say is the advertised range of about 500 feet. May be due to the helmet design but speeds over 60 make communication difficult because of wind noise. Battery seems to last the 10 hours of talk time advertised. Installation is easy and the unit detaches from the helmet for charging without having to remove the head set. I don't have a bluetooth capable phone so I can't speak to that. These are mono units and as far as I can tell will not interface to a music player. I guess you have spend more for that. I think they are reasonably priced at $125 each and offer good performance if you are just interest in voice communication. Hope that help with your decision.

Bryan

Diggittt
04-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Thank you very much for you feed back. I am really looking for something to use while riding 2 up and for phone calls while riding( more for the phone since until I get the back rest wf doesn't like to ride much). Bike to bike isn't that important at this point. I need something that is clear and easy to use while riding.

Thanks again,

Diggittt

bjt
04-17-2008, 06:43 AM
Thank you very much for you feed back. I am really looking for something to use while riding 2 up and for phone calls while riding( more for the phone since until I get the back rest wf doesn't like to ride much). Bike to bike isn't that important at this point. I need something that is clear and easy to use while riding.

Thanks again,

Diggittt

Sounds like the Blue Ant will be perfect for you. 500 foot range is not enough for the way my wife and I intend to use a communication system.

NancysToy
04-17-2008, 07:10 AM

Thanks again,

Diggittt

My wife and I use the Starcom1. http://www.starcom1.com/ The noise reduction and the VOX (voice activation) are both splendid, wind noise is minimal, at any speed, or even with an open helmet. It works great rider to passenger, plays my MP3 player, and a cell phone, GPS, or other input. Saw a glowing review in the BMW Motorcycle Owners Association magazine, and bought it a couple of years ago. Absolutely no regrets. It is hard wired, however, but the earphone and mike installation in the helmets wasn't difficult, and doesn't get in the way at all when we aren't using the Starcom. Several models available now. We are thinking of adding one to her Spyder, and using radio to go bike to bike.
-Scotty

mdr
04-18-2008, 11:14 AM
My wife and I use the Starcom1. http://www.starcom1.com/ The noise reduction and the VOX (voice activation) are both splendid, wind noise is minimal, at any speed, or even with an open helmet. It works great rider to passenger, plays my MP3 player, and a cell phone, GPS, or other input. Saw a glowing review in the BMW Motorcycle Owners Association magazine, and bought it a couple of years ago. Absolutely no regrets. It is hard wired, however, but the earphone and mike installation in the helmets wasn't difficult, and doesn't get in the way at all when we aren't using the Starcom. Several models available now. We are thinking of adding one to her Spyder, and using radio to go bike to bike.
-Scotty

Thanks for the good info, Scotty. I'm planning to hook up a zumo 550 for summer so that I can have xm and gps. I will be riding 2 up with my girlfriend, but don't plan on needing to use a cell phone (scary enough to talk on a cell phone while driving a car) or bike-to-bike. I've read mixed reviews on bluetooth in terms of real-life motorcycle use. I went to the Starcom website and the product looks great--this might be the ideal product for my needs.