PDA

View Full Version : Newbie going on first ride

rjetsrick
03-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Hi all... I have purchased the 2013 Spyder RS-S in Alloy Orange Metallic. It's at the shop awaiting better weather to bring home as I live an hour away from the dealer.
I have never driven a bike or even got to take the Spyder for a test drive BUT I got my M-1 license woo hoo... Can only drive during the day for now and at my age that makes me feel like a kid getting their first beginners license.

If anyone has any tips on making sure the unit is set up correctly for me ( I found info from Cargasm and adjusting shocks and checking front tire air pressure )

I am 6'3" and 275 lbs. (wish they had smaller fonts to put that in) I've read everything I can get a hold of

I have owned very fast snowmobiles and Seadoo's and am not put off by speed and probably will go into a large parking lot to try a few turns and braking before hitting main roads...
any tips on setting up at dealership for my size before I get it or some first crack tips on the first drive....

I have bought a GoPro to film all the first activity for some friends interested in seeing how they perform, I will be driving in very cold weather ... any tips

Wish me luck

daveinva
03-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Hi all... I have purchased the 2013 Spyder RS-S in Alloy Orange Metallic. It's at the shop awaiting better weather to bring home as I live an hour away from the dealer.
I have never driven a bike or even got to take the Spyder for a test drive BUT I got my M-1 license woo hoo... Can only drive during the day for now and at my age that makes me feel like a kid getting their first beginners license.

If anyone has any tips on making sure the unit is set up correctly for me ( I found info from Cargasm and adjusting shocks and checking front tire air pressure )

I am 6'3" and 275 lbs. (wish they had smaller fonts to put that in) I've read everything I can get a hold of

I have owned very fast snowmobiles and Seadoo's and am not put off by speed and probably will go into a large parking lot to try a few turns and braking before hitting main roads...
any tips on setting up at dealership for my size before I get it or some first crack tips on the first drive....

I have bought a GoPro to film all the first activity for some friends interested in seeing how they perform, I will be driving in very cold weather ... any tips

Wish me luck

First off, congrats! :welcome:

On setup/delivery, I'm sure others can suggest their own checklist, but I'd add this:
1. First things first, ask to meet the tech who set up your Spyder, and if not the same person, whomever is the "head tech" for your dealer. You're going to own the bike for a long time to come, no time like the present to get to know them on a first name basis.
2. Ask them explicitly if all the latest recalls have been done. Given the 2013 alignment issues reported on the board, ask too if they're confident in the alignment, and if they're capable to addressing any alignment issues there at the dealer (I understand some dealers don't yet have the right equipment). Again, your ride is probably perfect, but you just want to be sure they have a good attitude towards addressing any concerns you have in the future.
3. Since it's a 2013 the battery is probably new, i.e. it hasn't been sitting around on the lot for a long time, so you should be good there. Invest in a battery tender for home if you don't already have one.
4. At your weight, I'd ask them to adjust the shocks before you take delivery. Don't bump them to max just yet-- you'll want to know how the Spyder rides "normally"-- so I'd suggest going 3 or 4 on the rear shock (max is 5), and maybe 2/3rds to 3/4s on the Fox shocks on your RS-S. As you noted, check to ensure the tires are properly inflated (bring your own gauge-- you may end up taking delivery before you're able to confirm the pressure, but this way you'll be prepared to just run over to a gas station and check it yourself).
5. If you're getting any Can-Am mods, have them install them ahead of time. For instance, at the last second I decided I wanted the fog lights and the 12v in the frunk, I called ahead to the dealer and had them install them before pickup.
6. Do the usual TCLOCS checklist before accepting the bike-- run all the lights, signals, horn, check the belt, check that the parking brake is tight, check the cables are connected, find the battery, find the fuse blocks, find the oil, be sure you know how to cycle through the MODE button, be sure you know how to start the bike, engage reverse, etc.

As for pickup day, I'd plan being there when the dealer opens then an hour locally just to get a feel for the bike. Find a big parking lot (big box retailers, shopping malls-- the best are big multiplex movie theater lots, early in the morning there is never anyone there) and ride. Do progressively tighter circles to learn how the bike reacts (note: DON'T do this fast). Learn to lean your body and shift your weight to the *inside* of turns to help keep the Spyder planted. Practice emergency braking at increasingly faster speeds and see how the bike (and your body) reacts (note: in a "panic stop," you will shift forward, often off your behind into a semi-standing position... be aware of how to hang on). Know how to use the foot brake, and how NOT to use the foot brake (riding the brake can set off the limp mode, don't do that). Use a light grip on the handlebars-- if you hold too tightly, the bike will handle roughly. Think "holding a baby bird" light grip.

If you run into a limp mode, don't panic. Stop the bike, pull the key out, and walk ten feet away so the key fob "clears" the bike. Come back twenty seconds later and try again, that usually clears up a limp mode. Obviously, if this happens while you're near the dealer, I'd take the bike back just to check what happened-- as a general rule, if you had a problem during dealer setup, it'll show itself early on (hence why you want to practice *near* your dealer).

Once you're comfortable, I'd take a route home that features as little traffic as possible. That said, believe it or not, highway riding is likely easier than side street riding-- fewer things to hit. Your call, but ride with a "spotter" (whoever helped get you to the dealer) behind you to help block traffic in at least *one* direction.

Most of all? Enjoy yourself, you only get to pickup your Spyder once! You'll be nervous the first time, but with practice (VERY little practice-- it's easier to ride than two-wheels, obviously) you'll get the hang of it in no time.

rjetsrick
03-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Great tips, Yes I have added a few things at dealer, the front and trunk plugs but hadn't got into setup as too excited about purchase... will delve into tomorrow as suggested

Thanks again

Tin Man
03-03-2013, 09:48 PM
First off, congrats! :welcome:

On setup/delivery, I'm sure others can suggest their own checklist, but I'd add this:
1. First things first, ask to meet the tech who set up your Spyder, and if not the same person, whomever is the "head tech" for your dealer. You're going to own the bike for a long time to come, no time like the present to get to know them on a first name basis.
2. Ask them explicitly if all the latest recalls have been done. Given the 2013 alignment issues reported on the board, ask too if they're confident in the alignment, and if they're capable to addressing any alignment issues there at the dealer (I understand some dealers don't yet have the right equipment). Again, your ride is probably perfect, but you just want to be sure they have a good attitude towards addressing any concerns you have in the future.
3. Since it's a 2013 the battery is probably new, i.e. it hasn't been sitting around on the lot for a long time, so you should be good there. Invest in a battery tender for home if you don't already have one.
4. At your weight, I'd ask them to adjust the shocks before you take delivery. Don't bump them to max just yet-- you'll want to know how the Spyder rides "normally"-- so I'd suggest going 3 or 4 on the rear shock (max is 5), and maybe 2/3rds to 3/4s on the Fox shocks on your RS-S. As you noted, check to ensure the tires are properly inflated (bring your own gauge-- you may end up taking delivery before you're able to confirm the pressure, but this way you'll be prepared to just run over to a gas station and check it yourself).
5. If you're getting any Can-Am mods, have them install them ahead of time. For instance, at the last second I decided I wanted the fog lights and the 12v in the frunk, I called ahead to the dealer and had them install them before pickup.
6. Do the usual TCLOCS checklist before accepting the bike-- run all the lights, signals, horn, check the belt, check that the parking brake is tight, check the cables are connected, find the battery, find the fuse blocks, find the oil, be sure you know how to cycle through the MODE button, be sure you know how to start the bike, engage reverse, etc.

As for pickup day, I'd plan being there when the dealer opens then an hour locally just to get a feel for the bike. Find a big parking lot (big box retailers, shopping malls-- the best are big multiplex movie theater lots, early in the morning there is never anyone there) and ride. Do progressively tighter circles to learn how the bike reacts (note: DON'T do this fast). Learn to lean your body and shift your weight to the *inside* of turns to help keep the Spyder planted. Practice emergency braking at increasingly faster speeds and see how the bike (and your body) reacts (note: in a "panic stop," you will shift forward, often off your behind into a semi-standing position... be aware of how to hang on). Know how to use the foot brake, and how NOT to use the foot brake (riding the brake can set off the limp mode, don't do that). Use a light grip on the handlebars-- if you hold too tightly, the bike will handle roughly. Think "holding a baby bird" light grip.

If you run into a limp mode, don't panic. Stop the bike, pull the key out, and walk ten feet away so the key fob "clears" the bike. Come back twenty seconds later and try again, that usually clears up a limp mode. Obviously, if this happens while you're near the dealer, I'd take the bike back just to check what happened-- as a general rule, if you had a problem during dealer setup, it'll show itself early on (hence why you want to practice *near* your dealer).

Once you're comfortable, I'd take a route home that features as little traffic as possible. That said, believe it or not, highway riding is likely easier than side street riding-- fewer things to hit. Your call, but ride with a "spotter" (whoever helped get you to the dealer) behind you to help block traffic in at least *one* direction.

Most of all? Enjoy yourself, you only get to pickup your Spyder once! You'll be nervous the first time, but with practice (VERY little practice-- it's easier to ride than two-wheels, obviously) you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Great Tips Dave, That is what makes this forum so Great!!! GREAT PEOPLE

Derek Paisley
03-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Congrats!!!

Where are you located in Canada?

Chupaca
03-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Your going to have a great time. Just give yourself time in the parking lot cause you'll want to hit the road like now..!! Enjoy..!!:thumbup:

rjetsrick
03-04-2013, 08:04 AM
thanks for the encouragement

weapon
03-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Congrat's on your new ride.
Lucky for you the spyder will handle just like a snowmobile with wheels.
On my 09 GS, I prefered one notch stiller on the front shocks. But the 13's are all different.
I would leave it stock at first and enjoy.
If the front feels mushy them stiffen it up.
Because of your hieght you will enjoy a taller windshield.
Relax, look ahead and have a great time.
You live in an amazing area for riding.

Have fun.

ARtraveler
03-04-2013, 02:53 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on the new ryde. Others have given great advice. My current recommendation is to do that first 20 to 50 km in close proximity to the dealer. This will give you an opportunity to get a feel for the new machine. You will also be close if any glitches show up from set up errors. Limp modes, or orange screens are no fun on the maiden voyage home.

rjetsrick
03-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Went by the dealer today with my list from Daveinva (Thanks again) and all the other suggestions, asked to speak to lead tech who happened to be near by,
found out by different staff that the recall on the ball joints parts would be in the shop in two days... They had just found out about them. She said I would be the first to get as was first 2013 purchased this year... Back to the tech, I asked if he had done a wheel alignment and his answer NO, they are not paid by BRP to check alignment as are shipped complete just with wheels off. Asked if he an alignment machine and again NO... he says the way they check is attach measurement sticks to the frame and use a 1/4" toe in set-up... Asked if he intends to do an alignment when replacing ball joints... NOT required as per BRP...
I have insisted that even if they charge me a proper alignment is done prior to me picking up and I will deal with BRP recovering costs...
Picked up the ball joint recall from another thread of someone who purchased new 2013 and ran into wobble problems on first run... I think we need a new heading on the upper bar for recalls that have been found out and checked with BRP that way it will stand out instead of finding out reading every ones postings... If I had picked up the Rs-S last week who knows what could have happened as a newbie rider

Thanks for all that helped me discover before too late

daveinva
03-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Went by the dealer today with my list from Daveinva (Thanks again) and all the other suggestions, asked to speak to lead tech who happened to be near by,
found out by different staff that the recall on the ball joints parts would be in the shop in two days... They had just found out about them. She said I would be the first to get as was first 2013 purchased this year... Back to the tech, I asked if he had done a wheel alignment and his answer NO, they are not paid by BRP to check alignment as are shipped complete just with wheels off. Asked if he an alignment machine and again NO... he says the way they check is attach measurement sticks to the frame and use a 1/4" toe in set-up... Asked if he intends to do an alignment when replacing ball joints... NOT required as per BRP...
I have insisted that even if they charge me a proper alignment is done prior to me picking up and I will deal with BRP recovering costs...
Picked up the ball joint recall from another thread of someone who purchased new 2013 and ran into wobble problems on first run... I think we need a new heading on the upper bar for recalls that have been found out and checked with BRP that way it will stand out instead of finding out reading every ones postings... If I had picked up the Rs-S last week who knows what could have happened as a newbie rider

Thanks for all that helped me discover before too late

Well, I feel bad if I gave you the impression that you had to INSIST on the alignment... What I really meant was just to check with them to ensure they can do it if there's a problem. It sounds like most 2013s are going out fine, no alignment problems at all, and yours may be one of that batch. The worry is that if something *is* wrong, that you can get yours fixed in a jiffy.

That said, definitely get the ball joints replaced before pickup, that's an official recall.

rjetsrick
03-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Well, I feel bad if I gave you the impression that you had to INSIST on the alignment... What I really meant was just to check with them to ensure they can do it if there's a problem. It sounds like most 2013s are going out fine, no alignment problems at all, and yours may be one of that batch. The worry is that if something *is* wrong, that you can get yours fixed in a jiffy.

That said, definitely get the ball joints replaced before pickup, that's an official recall.

You were totally correct to advise how you did... I appreciate it... he mentioned that in the past they had riders that wore out the tires in 5-6000 miles, but they may have been driving bikes for a long time and use to pull on the handle bars... I in turn wouldn't know ...

I'm glad I found out from another post about the ball joints as ???? would they have brought up they needed replacing... would hope they would have...

I know when I do pick up the unit I will have all the confidence that it is right even if 1 out of 1000 had any issues on alignment I would have had it checked professionally and at my cost.... not worried about such a small amount for peace of mind...

BUT now that I have another week looking at alarms.... ever heard of the Scorpio 1100 SE

weapon
03-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Make sure if they do, or check the alignment that they use the new procedure as of 2013.
Get them to check online. They have a BRP community web site they can go on to get the info.
That is what my dealer did and was suprised at what they found.:thumbup:
I would push them. Some dealers can be lazy and think they know everything until you point it out.:yikes:

rjetsrick
03-08-2013, 11:31 PM
The ball joints came in today and they will install on monday... While I was at the Dealer I asked about alarm systems ... picked up an rlink SR-1000SE which seems like quite the system... GPS tracking motion etc, does everything,,, look it up by Scorpio Alarms but just google rlink 1100

Can't wait for Monday to pick up next week the RS-S ... also ordered in some unique Leather outfits to add some Drama to my rides... an Xmen II suit with orange accent stripping and a Captain America suit even thou it will not match Spyder, couldn't pass on the price