PDA

View Full Version : Quick cheap XM radio for your RT

Robertsepolen
03-02-2013, 03:43 PM
This is a quick cheap $60 way to add XM radio to your bike.

This unit can be purchased at RadioShack for about $60. It is called the 'Snap'.

This unit plugs into a 12 v Powerlet Outlet such as the cigarette lighter.
The antenna cable plugs into the main power shaft at the bottom. I then placed the antenna head at the top of the shaft to the right. Then I wound the antenna cable around the shaft and securing it with electrical tape as I went. Then the shaft between the power portion and the controls interface was bent into a U-shaped and secured with electrical tape.

Next, and just plug it into the outlet and enjoy XM. The unit comes with a five day trial period.

Robertsepolen
03-02-2013, 03:44 PM

Robertsepolen
03-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Keep in mind this is not a weatherproof way of doing things. Also we will see how the electrical tape holds up when the weather gets hot. However, you can always opt to just install the unit as it comes it will be a little taller and a little more bulky but it will still work.
The unit then sends a signal to the FM radio already built into your bike. I chose this one because the controls are very glove friendly.

Robertsepolen
03-02-2013, 03:53 PM
I just noticed the error in one of the pictures that I edited. The antenna cable is actually wound around the power section NOT the shaft going between the power section and the control interface. However, I am sure you would work either way.

Cavman
03-03-2013, 08:18 AM
I did something similar with my Dephi Roady XM Radio. Made a holder for the Roady out of Kydex and put in the trunk. Mounted an antenna to the truck lid. The power cord unit that plugs into the cigarette plug in the trunk has a FM transmitter built in. I set it at 88.1 FM. I listen to the XM through the Spyder's stereo at 88.1 FM.
Unlike above, I have to get off the Spyder and go to the trunk to change the XM stations.

If I use my truck, I just un-hook the Roady and connect it to the system in the truck.