PDA

View Full Version : how to shift SE-5 trans

azjerry
03-02-2013, 08:35 AM
I've been waiting to buy a new ST and reading as much as I can. I have a few questions on shifting the SE. When you are stopped at idle with the foot on the brake, does the transmission always go to neutral or can you be in gear?

When starting out from neutral, do you upshift or downshift to first gear? (is neutral between 1 and 2 just like a manual?)

I've never driven a paddle shift vehicle so forgive the simple questions. Thanks.

SPYD1
03-02-2013, 08:39 AM
It stays in first gear while stopped, foot on break. Neutral is not between 1st and 2 nd.

ABQAndy
03-02-2013, 08:43 AM
I've been waiting to buy a new ST and reading as much as I can. I have a few questions on shifting the SE. When you are stopped at idle with the foot on the brake, does the transmission always go to neutral or can you be in gear?

When starting out from neutral, do you upshift or downshift to first gear? (is neutral between 1 and 2 just like a manual?)

I've never driven a paddle shift vehicle so forgive the simple questions. Thanks.

It is always in first gear when you slow down and/or stop for any reason (nice feature, you never have to wonder if you're in 1st). The gear order is R, 1, 2, 3.........

azjerry
03-02-2013, 09:55 AM
thanks all.

Bob Denman
03-02-2013, 11:49 AM
:agree: The only time that it'll pop into neutral, s if you start it up while it's in gear.

Chupaca
03-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Have a manual and always have. Never ridden a SE so I learn a little more here.. Thanks

Spydr in KS
03-02-2013, 02:17 PM
It was a learning curve going to the SE. I was rolling out of the throttle and then learned its much smoother to maintain the throttle and just click the paddle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SpyRyd
03-02-2013, 02:59 PM
:agree: The only time that it'll pop into neutral, s if you start it up while it's in gear.

.....with your foot depressing the brake pedal. N is between R and 1st.

ARtraveler
03-02-2013, 04:25 PM
They have you covered on your basic question.

Additional points. Upshifting. You will find a "sweet spot" usually between 4500- and 5500 rpms for the upshift. Crank throttle, when reaching the sweet spot, punch the paddle shifter. Gear will change without any klunk and will give you a seamless shift. Do not let off the throttle when making the shift.

Downshifting: The :spyder2: will downshift automatically, or, you may find it more seemless to hit the button at about 3500 rpms on the dowshifts from 5th to 2nd, and 2500 rpms on the shift from second to first.

The transmission seems to be happiest in that 4500-5500 rpms. Fifth gear is recommended for 65 mph and over--so you don't lug the :ani29:.

A bit of practice will help you find the sweet spot on yours.

SpyderAnn01
03-02-2013, 08:57 PM
I feel like a fish out of water on the SEs! I can never figure out how to get it in reverse.

revjvegas
03-02-2013, 09:15 PM
.....with your foot depressing the brake pedal. N is between R and 1st.
:agree:
yup, accidentally tap the down shift while stopped at a light and you'll be in neutral.

azjerry
03-02-2013, 09:33 PM
OK, thanks for all the help. I misunderstood what I read previously, I think I got it clear now. Hopefully in a week or two I'll find out.

Bob Denman
03-03-2013, 10:03 AM
YOu're going to have to let us know what you think of your new pride and joy as soon as you get it home!
And of course; lots of pictures! :thumbup:

azjerry
03-09-2013, 10:29 PM
finally got it today. Here is the wife riding it. I rode it home but I have a feeling that is the last I will get a crack at it.

azjerry
03-09-2013, 10:38 PM
It was an interesting ride for me. I've never ridden a trike of any kind. I rode it around the dealer parking lot for a few minutes then headed home. Got up to about 65-70 for a short distance on the way home. Very different from what I am used to but a lot of fun. The wife has only had her license for a month, she took the basic MSF on a Wing trike, so we went to the Walmart parking lot and after about 45 minutes, she was really comfortable on it. She knows she still has a lot of learning but she is really excited. I'm a little sad, I don't think I'm going to get much seat time on it.

jerpinoy
03-09-2013, 11:09 PM
The more you ride the better it get, have fun:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Big Arm
03-09-2013, 11:25 PM
:congrats: on your new purchase....(should of bought two) :roflblack:

Bandit
03-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Some of us just HAVE to learn the "Hard Way"!!!:roflblack: Bandit:doorag:

Bob Denman
03-10-2013, 08:10 AM
Jerry,
I think that you're going to have to revisit the dealer and get that second bike... :shocked: :thumbup:

Have you had any riding time on ATVs? That might help to make the transition a bit easier.