PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Antenna

Spyderflyer1
03-02-2013, 08:06 AM
As anyone out there tried to cut the antenna to make it a little shorter? If so, how much did you cut off and how did it affect the radio reception? Were you able to reinstall the rubber antenna tip?

2Paw
03-02-2013, 08:31 AM
DON'T cut your antenna, an antenna is made the length it is to match up with the wave length of the signal it is trying to receive. A shorter antenna has some other electronic characteristic that maintains the same effective length. If you need/want a shorter antenna you should buy one.

ABQAndy
03-02-2013, 08:38 AM
A shorty antenna is available at your local Walmart for approx. $9 so why mess with the OEM antenna. By the way the OEM antenna is fiberglass not metal as I first thought. I found this out when I broke it pulling out of my low profile trailer:gaah: I also like the looks of the Walmart shorty better. Just my opinion.

NitroCircus Spyder
03-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Hello fello Wisconsinite. I would not recomend cutting it and :agree: like others have said, if you want a smaller antenna I would go to Wally world and buy a cheaper shorty there. Good luck. :yikes:

NancysToy
03-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Buy the short one from Wally World.

Bob Denman
03-02-2013, 11:51 AM
:agree: Leave it full-length; it'll be easier to use at a later date if you need a marshmallow stick! :thumbup:

Chupaca
03-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Save the OEM antenna as a spare, sell it or like mentioned above cook with it...:ohyea:

Bob Denman
03-02-2013, 02:09 PM
:lecturef_smilie: Marshmallows ain't cookin'...
It's advanced "Chefery"! :thumbup: :roflblack::joke::roflblack:

krazykat
03-02-2013, 04:08 PM
As anyone out there tried to cut the antenna to make it a little shorter? If so, how much did you cut off and how did it affect the radio reception? Were you able to reinstall the rubber antenna tip?

Antenna is a simple piece of carbon fiber rod and very easy to cut with simple side cutters. I cut mine about 2 inches for my low clearance garage door and easily re-installed the rubber tip and can find no difference in radio reception - so - cut away if you need to.

ARtraveler
03-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Both sides of the issue mentioned here. I vote for the Wally world shorty. Have one and used it. I thought better reception. Upside: You still have your $67.00 or so OEM antenna in reserve.

Spyderflyer1
03-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks for everyone's opinion. The only reason I was thinking of cutting the OEM was because I am having one hell of a time getting it off. I guess I'll keep trying and head to Wally World.

cdavid
03-02-2013, 05:09 PM
My stock antenna catches the rear top of my new 7x12 enclosed trailer as I load or unload the Spyder RT. Does anyone have the link or part # for the Wally World one mentioned here? Thanks!

Farmbanker
03-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Thanks for everyone's opinion. The only reason I was thinking of cutting the OEM was because I am having one hell of a time getting it off. I guess I'll keep trying and head to Wally World.

Yes it is torqued on there pretty tight. I had a hell of a time getting mine off as well. :banghead:Ended up using two small nosed vise grips, one on the nut, one on the metal above it and using them together finall got it loose. It takes some patience. Then get the Wally World one. Looks and works great!;)

2Paw
03-02-2013, 09:42 PM
I haven't tried it but, maybe a socket will go down over the antenna and then you could use vise grips on the socket.

ringalls51
03-02-2013, 11:24 PM
on my wife 2012 rt a/c was putting in the rear speakers. had to take off the whole back of the bike to put in the speakers. so when we got to the right side tried to remove the antenna and my friend broke it off. the lock tight that is used at brp is real good stuff. had to take the brass box that holds the antenna off and take my touch and heat it up and burn of the lock tight to get the screws out. I would try very carefully and not put to much force on it. it will break. you will be taking off the right side of the truck to fix it. good luck

ringalls51
03-02-2013, 11:25 PM
on my wife 2012 rt a/c was putting in the rear speakers. had to take off the whole back of the bike to put in the speakers. so when we got to the right side tried to remove the antenna and my friend broke it off. the lock tight that is used at brp is real good stuff. had to take the brass box that holds the antenna off and take my touch and heat it up and burn of the lock tight to get the screws out. I would try very carefully and not put to much force on it. it will break. you will be taking off the right side of the truck to fix it. good luck

GRIPMAN
03-03-2013, 02:32 AM

I didn't think about using a torch to heat the antenna block so the screw broke off at the base and I had to order another block ( too,too much loctite)

Spyderflyer1
03-03-2013, 08:07 AM
I gotta tell ya, sounds like a lot of work and possible grief. Maybe I should re-think the whole shorter antenna thing and just live with what I've got. Besides it sounds like it will take way too much time away from being on the road. mmmmm garage or seat time?

ABQAndy
03-03-2013, 09:02 AM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-RMA900-Replacement-Car-Antenna/16652627

cdavid
03-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Thank you for posting the link.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-RMA900-Replacement-Car-Antenna/16652627

Bob Denman
03-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Besides it sounds like it will take way too much time away from being on the road. mmmmm garage or seat time?
That's why projects like these are best relegated to the DARK TIME between riding seasons! :thumbup:

NancysToy
03-03-2013, 10:04 AM
I didn't think about using a torch to heat the antenna block so the screw broke off at the base and I had to order another block ( too,too much loctite)

...or the wrong type. The blue is specified. If they used the red you will need heat to break the bond.

Bob Denman
03-03-2013, 10:14 AM
:agree: The wrong Loc-Tite can really teach you and yours some new vocabulary... :gaah: