PDA

View Full Version : it's all slowly(keyword slowly) coming together

Laila's Dad
03-02-2013, 06:51 AM
Hello all,

I hope that your weekend is off to a great start. Even if you are at work or snowed in, isn't it just good to be alive to be able to complain a littlenojoke ...any-whoo, back to the topic at hand. I recently got the sena smh10 and as of today have my Rivco floorboards on my spyder. One thing I hadn't mentioned is I took my first official spyder ride last week. A fellow spyder lover invited me to roll with him and some of his buddies. Although I was a little nervous to officially hit the road with others and show my driving skills( lack thereof) I agreed. I had the sena installed at that time but I did not have the floorboards on yet so this was the warning I needed to show me that the floorboards were not just an accessory but a major necessity. We went to a little grill in Glenrose, TX which was about a 100 miles away from me. My right leg was cramping so bad. At one point I was riding down the highway at 80mph with my leg dangling to try to keep the muscle from tightening more in my thigh. One of the guys later said "I was wondering what you were kicking at?". The place(Loco Coyote Grill) was in the"backwoods" so I didn't know what to expect but I have to tell you the people and the food were great. There was a nice crowd of bikers that came after we did and they either stopped and talked with us about the spyder or walked on by with no comment which was cool too...Fast forward to today, I picked up my spyder after they installed the floorboards and while I immediately noticed the position was more comfortable, I also noticed that I couldn't figure out the best place to put my right foot to have quick access to brake. I know that sounds crazy but although the sport pegs weren't the most comfortable place(sidenote:Rivco floorboards come with a shorter sport peg replacement), it was normal so I had muscle memory. After about 30 miles with the floorboards I figured it out and got comfortable. At one point I was rolling and jammin' out so hard I looked over at a car beside me at a light and they were laughing and gave me a thumbs up. Music and floorboards are a great combination. In summary, 1100 miles in I am finally getting to the place that I mentally hoped for when I bought this 3 wheel monsta'. Heading down the highway, looking for adventure! :doorag:

SPYD1
03-02-2013, 07:18 AM
It is great to hear you found what you were looking for. I have the Senas as well. What is your source of music? I use an iPhone.

Laila's Dad
03-02-2013, 07:25 AM
It is great to hear you found what you were looking for. I have the Senas as well. What is your source of music? I use an iPhone.

I use my phone as well(droid). I actually use my phone for music and GPS. The sena speaks the turn by turn and works well with the music/phone calls and the GPS app I use. It lowers the music volume when giving a direction. One of the best things I like is you can answer a call by saying a word real loud through the mic like HELLO!

SPYD1
03-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Yes. Mine works the same. I recently mounted a weatherproof phone holder and powerlet outlet to the bike. This works well. For longer trips you can charge the phone or the Sena unit while riding. You can also use your trickle charger thru the powerlet for charging the battery on the bike if it is to sit for awhile.

Laila's Dad
03-02-2013, 07:35 AM
Yes. Mine works the same. I recently mounted a weatherproof phone holder and powerlet outlet to the bike. This works well. For longer trips you can charge the phone or the Sena unit while riding. You can also use your trickle charger thru the powerlet for charging the battery on the bike if it is to sit for awhile.

Oh, where did you install the outlet? I have one in the frunk that I run a USB cable from to charge my phone while cruising. My phone holder is not weather proof. I have the x-grip on a ram mount. I saw weather cases for the iPhone but not for the droid. :dontknow:

SPYD1
03-02-2013, 07:46 AM
I bought a PKT-042 from Powerlet which is the socket mount and placed it near the lower left side of the display. Then you buy the appropriate power cord for your phone and your set up. It takes about 30 minutes to mount the outlet. I have an RS. Both leads hook up to the battery. I sourced the drill bit appropriate to drill the hole for the PL socket. If you are going to do this I could send it to you and you could send it back when your done. It works really well and is quite convenient.

SPYD1
03-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Oh...and your weatherproof phone holder, made for droid, can be bought through Twisted Throttle. Check their web site.

Laila's Dad
03-02-2013, 08:05 AM
I bought a PKT-042 from Powerlet which is the socket mount and placed it near the lower left side of the display. Then you buy the appropriate power cord for your phone and your set up. It takes about 30 minutes to mount the outlet. I have an RS. Both leads hook up to the battery. I sourced the drill bit appropriate to drill the hole for the PL socket. If you are going to do this I could send it to you and you could send it back when your done. It works really well and is quite convenient.

Thanks for the offer to use your drill bit but man I am illiterate when it comes to working on anything with wheels or electricity. Although I did change out the ball bearings on my bicycle when I was 14 one time(yes it was a great fete :rolleyes:). I was told about a shop not too far from me that will install the outlet near the display area but I may not need it since I have the one in the trunk/frunk. I am going to the twisted throttle site now to check out there cases. Thanks for the info.

Spyder601
03-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Congrats on the upgrades. I too have been tring to decide between foot boards and highway pegs. The boards look awesome and I too love my Sena that my wonderful wife got me this year for Christmas!

Laila's Dad
03-02-2013, 09:45 AM
I am still considering adding the highway pegs later on down the line. I have been hesitant because as some have mentioned on here when your feet are that far out they are not close to the brake but I guess they are specifically when cruising at highway speed without stop and go traffic... next on my list is the Bagger shield(windshield) then I will stop for a while...I hope. :pray:

Mayhem
03-02-2013, 10:05 AM
I have the Rivco floorboards as well and really like the lower foot position versus their competitors. One thing to look out for is to not twist your foot when mounting or dismounting because that can tear out the little rubber shock absorber balls. I ended up doing away with them and just siliconing the mat to the floorboard. I also did away with the sport pegs and put full size Harley Iso pegs in their place, works well for me.

Bob Denman
03-02-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm glad to hear that the Spinnin' & Grinnin' has commenced! :2thumbs:

Laila's Dad
03-03-2013, 03:49 AM
I have the Rivco floorboards as well and really like the lower foot position versus their competitors. One thing to look out for is to not twist your foot when mounting or dismounting because that can tear out the little rubber shock absorber balls. I ended up doing away with them and just siliconing the mat to the floorboard. I also did away with the sport pegs and put full size Harley Iso pegs in their place, works well for me.

Full size pegs work with the Rivco driver boards? I thought that the reason they include those little short pegs with the package is because the full size ones don't fit or is it that the full size pegs won't fold?

Mayhem
03-03-2013, 10:03 AM
No, full size ones fit fine, I just added a washer to make it fit tighter. Now there is no searching around for the smaller pegs.

Laila's Dad
03-03-2013, 01:13 PM
That is good info, you are right those short pegs are hard to find sometimes.