PDA

View Full Version : Could this be the start of something................

Mike X
03-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Hi Guys .
A while ago I posted that I was searching for a Spyder in red , well I think the wait is over , I have been in contact with a dealer a fair distance from me who has a white version in the right spec at the right price , so I have started the ball rolling , so to speak .
i have never seen a Spyder in real life , I have read loads , watched U-tube and listened to you guys so I think I am making the right decision , gulp ! I am buying this Spyder un-seen , just from pictures , but it looks ace . As I said it is white , 2011 model RS SM5 with just under 4000 miles on the clock , it has a backrest fitted and has black and alloy coloured wheels , might be an RS S ? Not sure .
obviously I would like to mess about with it a bit , what do you suggest ? I know about the sway bar , I have the backrest and wheels I like , exhaust upgrade ? K&N air filter ? anything else I should be looking at ?
Thankyou for listening , can't wait to get among you :clap:

Mike.

lmfarmer94
03-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Have you seen pics of it?

Marty

JJW SpyderRider
03-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Welcome to the party :yes::yes::yes: I think the 2011 RSS is a limited model. Enjoy!

ARtraveler
03-01-2013, 07:12 PM
:congrats: on the new ryde. Post some pictures when you get a chance. There are a few of us who bought them sight unseen. I got the second one to hit Alaska. Put my deposit down about six months before it arrived. No problem, I loved it.

Bob Denman
03-01-2013, 07:34 PM
In 2010, the RSS was white; I'm not sure about 2011...
Anybody have a brochure from that year hanging around? :dontknow:
Now that you're getting down to the really scary part; Good Luck! :thumbup:
:lecturef_smilie: And we'll want to see pictures! ;)

Chupaca
03-01-2013, 07:41 PM
:welcome: :congrats: :nopic: Look you can do it all with smilies, anyway welcome enjoy the ryde. !! :thumbup:

Mike X
03-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone ,
yea , seen a bunch of pictures of it , looks good on screen , will have to wait n see I guess .
One thing I was wondering about , is it classed as a car or bike when it comes to M.O.T. time (UK) mainly with the emissions test and if I swap out the exhaust the cat will go so it will pump out enough nasty fumes to fail the car test , they don't test bikes YET , so that won't be a problem , I suppose I could just swap it back to standard every year but that's a bit of a pain in the bum .:sour:

lmfarmer94
03-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Congrats bro! As soon as you get it, post pics. Welcome to spyderlovers!

Marty

mcaccamise
03-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Hi Mike if im not mistaken the RS had the aluminum colored wheels and an up graded wheel was black and silver
Also the RS or RSS does not have the cat so that wont be a problem to remove,here in the states the Spyder is classed as a bike not a car good luck and congrats on your new ride youll love the :spyder2: life.
Mike

PistonBlown
03-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Hi Mike,

Like you I recently bought my 2011 RS SM5 unseen from a trader, just a few pictures posted on TradeMe (NZ's version of eBay) and I also hadn't seem one in the flesh until I picked it up - though of course after getting one I keep seeing them everywhere:-). In my particular case it was on the North Island while I live on the South so I had to fly up, pick up the bike , cross on the Ferry and then ride back home. Actually this ended up being great as that 400km gave me a chance to understand the handling etc. I was surprised how different it was to ride in comparison to a bike and it did take me longer than expected to really get the hang of it. Open road was great because right from the off it feels so stable but I found city/town driving was hard work at first. Definitely give yourself plenty of time after picking the Spyder up and plan a nice long route home - from memory there's some good roads around that part of the world.

The extra I did add almost straight away was Spyderpops 'Missing Belt Guard' to keep stones out of the belt as we've a lot road works in Christchurch at the moment:-). Also on my list are some mirror extensions because I get bored at looking at my own elbows. I plan to get a sway bar but I'm going to wait a while as I want to get a true feel for the handling and the limitations first, that way I can really feel the difference. Did consider a handlebar brake lever but soon got used to foot only braking. What I really really want is an Aliens themed paintjob but that's another story.

In NZ Spyders can be registered as cars or bikes and depending on how they are initially registered then dictates how their then treated legally. It used to be the same in the UK for trikes (from memory to register a trike as a car you had to have a reverse gear which the Spider does). So you may find with the MOT it will depend on how the Spyder was initially registered. May also make a difference with the insurance as well. Funny enough my Spyder is registered as a car but my insurance was cheaper because I have a bike licence.

I've now had my Spyder a month, clocked up 2000km and am completely hooked. You're going to love it:-)

Anyway hope my ramblings are helpful and apologies if they are not.

Jos

GloryRyders
03-02-2013, 06:03 AM
:congrats:....let the "farkles" begin!

Captain Fin
03-02-2013, 06:36 AM
In 2010, the RSS was white; I'm not sure about 2011...
Anybody have a brochure from that year hanging around? :dontknow:
Now that you're getting down to the really scary part; Good Luck! :thumbup:
:lecturef_smilie: And we'll want to see pictures! ;)
I know that in 2011 one could buy a RTS in white. But there is no doubt that the blue is by far the best color.

Mike X
03-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Fantastic , thanks Guys , thanks Jos , very helpful .
I really can't wait now , roll on summer .
Are there many other Spyderists on here from the U.K. ?