PDA

View Full Version : Removing upper console, help!

Wijllie
04-15-2008, 05:02 AM
Can somebody tell me how I remove the upper console of the instrument cluster? I removed all screws but it seems to be fixed
on the lower part and can't see how (plastic pins I guess). I already broke a fingernail and scratched my console with a screwdriver :edit:
Mirrors? Can't see how to remove upper console while the cable is still attached?
Don't see any other screws on the parts catalog.
Pics would be nice but any other help is also apreciated!!!
Makes me so angry they make some things easy to assemble but hard to dissasemble.
They should hire reverse engineers as well!

Rotaxrocket
04-15-2008, 05:16 AM
Can somebody tell me how I remove the upper console? I removed all screws but it seems to be fixed
on the lower part and can't see how (plastic pins I guess). I already broke a fingernail and scratched my console with a screwdriver :edit:
Mirrors? Can't see how to remove upper console while the cable is still attached?
Don't see any other screws on the parts catalog.
Pics would be nice but any other help is also apreciated!!!
Makes me so angry they make some things easy to assemble but hard to dissasemble.
They should hire reverse engineers as well!

When you say upper console clarify for me this. Upper console for the handlebar or the instrument cluster? :doorag:

Wijllie
04-15-2008, 05:28 AM
instrument cluster...

spyder13
04-15-2008, 05:44 AM
There are 2 bolts at the back near steering shaft under top panel. You have to take all the bolts to front trunk out and pick up slightly on the trunk and move it forward. There are 2 bolts in front where trunk was bolted down. pick up front slightly and pull forward Watch the nuts on the back where under top panel can fall out

Wijllie
04-15-2008, 06:00 AM
There are 2 bolts at the back near steering shaft under top panel. You have to take all the bolts to front trunk out and pick up slightly on the trunk and move it forward. There are 2 bolts in front where trunk was bolted down. pick up front slightly and pull forward Watch the nuts on the back where under top panel can fall out

You mean I have to disasemble the trunk to remove the top of the instrument console?
It's almost loose, it seems it is still clipped at the side to the lower part.
Can't imagine you have to remove the trunk...

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3751/dsc00186il0.jpg

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/6732/dsc00187mj4.jpg

Red arrow= only place still locked?

Lamonster
04-15-2008, 06:08 AM
Looks like you almost got it. I just used a small screwdriver and pushed in on the 5 pins and then it will pop right off.

Wijllie
04-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Looks like you almost got it. I just used a small screwdriver and pushed in on the 5 pins and then it will pop right off.

OK thx, got it loose, man those where realy hard to push out, I had to slap the screwdriver real hard in...
Now the last problem ::) cables are to short of front turn signals, where can I disconect the disconnections or
are the cables also wired somewhere to the console?
Still can't remove the console

Lamonster
04-15-2008, 07:03 AM
They are just ziptied to another cable. Just reach in there and cut and then you'll gain another 4" or so.

Wijllie
04-15-2008, 07:51 AM
They are just ziptied to another cable. Just reach in there and cut and then you'll gain another 4" or so.

Got it they were strapped in sort of lane. I let them lose this time...

Thx for your help :2cool:

Wijllie
04-15-2008, 10:42 AM
OMG I just found out that you can access the console easy by pushing in the 2 holes of the meters
Taking off the upper console was not needed, if I only would have known this before :edit:
Well, if someone reads this he can benefit from it like I did with other things here :)

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/7553/p1020593vf2.jpg

Rotaxrocket
04-15-2008, 11:34 AM
OMG I just found out that you can access the console easy by pushing in the 2 holes of the meters
Taking off the upper console was not needed, if I only would have known this before :edit:
Well, if someone reads this he can benefit from it like I did with other things here :)

Thanks for the tip......... :doorag:

trikester
04-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Seems like I read that somewhere in the owner's manual - not sure though. :spyder:

Frank

Wijllie
04-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Seems like I read that somewhere in the owner's manual - not sure though. :spyder:

Frank

Correct, for the headlight bulbs. I needed to take the rim off the meters and thought I had to be inside the console
to get to it. Oh well, good lesson and now at least I know how to remove the dash AND the console ;D

serianna
01-25-2016, 05:18 PM

Can you go into more detail of how you did this, I am having a similar issue with adding risers and trying to see under the upper console to see if the cables are tied and not sure how to get in there.