PDA

View Full Version : I really, really don't like...

Dustybell
02-28-2013, 03:07 PM
MICE!!!
Took our spyder in for it's 6,000 mile service today. And got a call from them before we barely got out of their driveway. Seems mice had built a nest all in the front end! :shocked: When we picked it up, they gave us two baggies full of insulation. I have been riding this winter, so I don't think the nest is recent, but thankfully, there was no damage yet. And no wires chewed through.

We are even storing the spyder in one of those big truck box containers. Didn't think mice could get into it. Did I tell you that I really, really, don't like mice?

This means war! I'm going hunting! If your spyder is in storage, you better check it. No matter how safe you think it is. I sure thought mine was safe.

murphybrown
02-28-2013, 03:14 PM
MICE!!!
Took our spyder in for it's 6,000 mile service today. And got a call from them before we barely got out of their driveway. Seems mice had built a nest all in the front end! :shocked: When we picked it up, they gave us two baggies full of insulation. I have been riding this winter, so I don't think the nest is recent, but thankfully, there was no damage yet. And no wires chewed through.

We are even storing the spyder in one of those big truck box containers. Didn't think mice could get into it. Did I tell you that I really, really, don't like mice?

This means war! I'm going hunting! If your spyder is in storage, you better check it. No matter how safe you think it is. I sure thought mine was safe.

I fight them all the time . They eat Decon like candy. YEP I ALSO HATE MICE!

Bob Denman
02-28-2013, 03:17 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_33_9.gif ...Furry little :cus: can find their way into almost anyplace... Willie Sutton must have taken lessons from them. :gaah:
We cover the end of the exhaust with tinfoil, and have had decent luck with dryer sheets up under the Tupperware...

Chupaca
02-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Have had to deal with wiring nightmares during my time wrenching. Air boxes are a favorite especially if its a paper filter. But on faring bikes anything gives...good luck..!! :thumbup:

Dustybell
02-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Any tips on mice demise that will keep dogs and cats safe? Our rat terrier is a great mouser and I'm leary of her finding a poisoned mouse and eating it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

SPYD1
02-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Put some pine scented moth balls on the floor around your bike...no more mice.

ARtraveler
02-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Mice and such are very crafty and can get into spaces that you would not think possible. Good ammunition against them is to get a cat.

Bob Denman
02-28-2013, 03:29 PM
I forgot about them... :opps:
Mothballs also help to discourage them :thumbup:
Just don't ask how they get them away from the Moths! :yikes:

Desert Spyder
02-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Mice??? Oh crap...what next? Limp Mode, Throttle Bodies, and Mice, Oh My!

boborgera
02-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Like mentioned,;.....
Moth ball's; I've been using them for years [40] I will not use poison, sometimes poison doesn't just kill the intend victim's.:sour:

asp125
02-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Lucky you got to them before they chewed up your ignition wires. Trust me, arcing under the hood is NOT something you'd like to see. BTDT.

coz
02-28-2013, 05:10 PM
put some peanut butter on the trap of your choice. that will take care of it. i've heard a mouse can squeeze through a 1/4 inch opening, so you've got to seal things up REALLY tight.:thumbup:

Cavman
02-28-2013, 05:19 PM
I have had them eat the peanut butter off the trap and not trip it. That's both mouse and rat Victor traps. I have to be careful where I've placed traps because Stumpy is in their size category! :pray:

rnet
02-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Had a mouse nest in the air box once, but since I put in the 4 post lift and stored it up there, no more mice. Store the bikes up there also. To get up there they would have to climb one of the smooth painted post.

Bob Denman
02-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Did you, by any chance, wire them up to a little bit of voltage??? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_6_12.gif:yikes:http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_6_12.gif

otter28169
02-28-2013, 07:05 PM
I use steel wool to keep hem out of places I don't want them going. I know it doesn't work everywhere, but it is more effective than poison. When they chew through the steel wool to get inside something, they ingest it. It cuts as it passes through and they bleed out. I know, I am a mean old B:cus:d, but it will always work.

Dustybell
02-28-2013, 07:07 PM
My sweet husband came home loaded for bear..er..mice! :clap: He brought moth balls, poison trap, and glue traps. Nobody messes with my spyder!

Bob Denman
02-28-2013, 07:09 PM
He sure sounds like a keeper! :2thumbs:
He DOES empty the traps; right?? :shocked:

Jeriatric
02-28-2013, 08:47 PM
Don't kill'm.

Put'm to work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T65wJyQ0FIo

IGETAROUND
02-28-2013, 08:48 PM
My sweet husband came home loaded for bear..er..mice! :clap: He brought moth balls, poison trap, and glue traps. Nobody messes with my spyder!

cheap bars of soap seem to work quite well in closed spaces on the pop up trailer. Can't see why wouldn't work to keep them out of stored spyder also:joke:

Blue Star
02-28-2013, 10:06 PM
I am with you when it comes to hating mice. Now rats are a different story. A female mouse will not allow a male to :cus: with her when she is nursing, so he will kill the babies to get her to back in heat. Thus you have to keep the male away from the females when they are nursing. Also a mother mouse will kill another females babies if they get too close to her brood. Plus mice are light enough to swing up and bite you when you hold them by their tails, and their teeth are sharp.

Now rats are totally different. A male rat will not try any funny bussiness when the female is nursing. The female rat will nurse any baby that needs to be nursed even if not hers. They are too heavy to swing up and bite when held by their tails. Their teeth are dull so when they do bite it is more a pinch, and don't draw blood.

I used to breed rats and mice to sell to pet stores, and have been only bitten twice by a rat (I did deserve it) when I made them made, and way to many times by mice. Every time by a mouse it drew blood, but never by a rat.

Somewhere I have a picture of my oldest holding a rat (about 6-7 inches long) by their tail in each hand when she was around 7 years old.

Also you don't want to use poison, as whatever eats them will be poisoned too. Use a glue board type of trap.

thehawk
02-28-2013, 10:12 PM
I forgot about them... :opps:
Mothballs also help to discourage them :thumbup:
Just don't ask how they get them away from the Moths! :yikes:

somebody told me once you can get rid of them by stuffing cotton in their little holes ... if you can get someone to hold their little feet :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

did I say that out loud ... nah!!!

thehawk

rc51ny
03-01-2013, 06:57 AM
+1 on the moth balls--I put a few in a baggie then place the baggie--open--in the bags--never had a problem.

Dustybell
03-01-2013, 07:25 AM
Yes. We moth balled the heck out of that storage container. My husband said the smell was even gonna keep away. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Captain Fin
03-01-2013, 08:35 AM
That's BS about rats not liking height. I have watched rats at night here in Key Largo running accross over head wires with no problem. What is a squirrel but a cute rat.

Blue Star
03-01-2013, 11:33 PM
That's BS about rats not liking height. I have watched rats at night here in Key Largo running accross over head wires with no problem. What is a squirrel but a cute rat.

The video was talking about domesticated mice, but I agree that rats are not afraid of heights and will travel the electric wires.