PDA

View Full Version : Loud gear whine?

trikester
04-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Is loud gear whine when backing off common to all Spyders?

First gear starting out also whines but the whine when backing off and shifting down through the gears is so loud it is basically all can I hear. Does everyone have this or is there something wrong with my bike?

I would assume it is not a lubrication problem because I'm also assuming that the engine oil also is the gear oil (in the same case).

Frank

sabunim5
04-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Never had any whine in mine. You are assuming there is oil there. Have you checked? Sadly, others found that all that should be there was not. Good luck and safe ryding. :bigthumbsup:
sabunim5 :spyder:

pitmon
04-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Have had mine since February and no whine at all. I did find the oil a bit low when I did my first check before riding. Thank goodness I trailered it home instead of riding it. Now I check everything before I ride... and especially after the dealer has had it.

Lamonster
04-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Mine whines a bit but I just figured it has strait cut gears like my 109.

bjt
04-14-2008, 05:21 PM
I think I am noticing some whine occasionally on my Spyder. What I do hear is intermittant and not really loud but it is noticable. I didn't really notice it while riding the wife's Spyder. I kinda chalked it up to hers probably had a whine too but I was concentrating on other things while riding hers and didn't notice it. I'll check it out tomorrow, get a better side byside comparison and verify my fluid levels and whatnot.

trikester
04-15-2008, 12:19 PM
I did check the oil level before I left the dealer (because of postings on this forum). It was a little low but still above the "add oil" level, with the engine cold. The manual did say to warm the engine before checking, but we didn't do that.

Maybe I use engine braking, when slowing to a stop, more than others. This is a habit formed by riding my antiques, on which poor brakes are the norm.

Frank

barb36jack31
04-15-2008, 04:10 PM
My Silver Spyder #600 whines and moans up through the gears as well as when I am slowing down. I think it is partly gear whine and partly harmonics as the plastic sheathings vibrate at different frequencies. It also sounds like there are a gazillion pieces and parts revolving at high speed in the motor - cams etc. In any event, it is the noisiest bike I have ever had in that regard. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, though. I now have 2500+ miles on it and nothing has come apart. It has made these noises from day 1. My plan is to run the pants off of it and not worry about errant sounds.

Jack H.

Lamonster
04-15-2008, 04:32 PM
If you really want to hear some noise take a ride on it with the side panels off :yikes:

barb36jack31
04-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I'll bet riding the thing with no side panels would really be an experience! Remember the days when all of the moving parts were buried under a mile of cast iron? The engine sounds were nicely muted to say the least.

Jack H.

Wijllie
04-15-2008, 11:50 PM
I love that wine, reminds me on my army days when driving with an Unimog with 4x4 tires on the highway ;D

Lamonster
04-16-2008, 05:57 AM
I love that wine, reminds me on my army days when driving with an Unimog with 4x4 tires on the highway ;D
Unimog's are cool :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Wijllie
04-16-2008, 06:19 AM
Unimog's are cool :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Yeah they are :) also a pain in th *ss to keep them driving, I was mechanic (helper) ;)

trikester
04-16-2008, 11:20 AM
I'll bet riding the thing with no side panels would really be an experience! Remember the days when all of the moving parts were buried under a mile of cast iron? The engine sounds were nicely muted to say the least.

Jack H.

Yeah! I just removed one of those cast iron engines (500cc) from a 1947 Matchless G80L. Sending it to Oregon to be rebuilt.

Nicely muted - but heavy!

Frank

2faston3
04-16-2008, 08:28 PM
This is freakin me out!!!! :yikes:

I got a buddy who restored and is driving around a UNIMOG... FFO

2faston3

Only on the board can that happen!

2faston3

krb1945
04-26-2009, 05:20 PM
I've only riden my, correction... my SO's, 09 SE5 for about 50 miles and it has a terrible low speed wine. The oil level is right on the mark following their procedure for checking the level. I'm debating on whether it is the gear box or the drive belt.

I'm considering the foil insulation that is used on the F-series Ford diesels on the side panels. That should quieten it some. Has anyone tried insulating the sides?

NancysToy
04-26-2009, 05:59 PM
The drive belt tension does make a difference on how much gear whine you have, and what speed it occurs at. After the dealer tightened my belt at the 600 mile service, it started to howl. I backed down the belt tension (using my Krikit gauge) and it has been acceptable ever since.
-Scotty

Dudley
04-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Our SE5 now has 8000 miles. This may bite me in the lower part one day, but I worry little about our Spyder. The whine has come and gone. Sometimes it's here, sometimes it's not. When we bought our Spyder, we got on it and rode it. After the breakin period, I changed my own oil, and we're still riding it. If the Spyder is as good a product as BRP claims, then we will ride it to prove it. I am not trying to be an overly arrogant person, but it is my opinion that BRP has a lot of owners running scared with the warranty situation. Remember when you were told by the dealer "Use only BRP synthetic 5W40 or it will void your warranty"? Now, low and behold, a synthetic blend is OK, even a 10W40 weight! Isn't it going in the same Rotax engine that at first was not supposed to accept any oil but BRP synthetic 5W40? I have read numerous posts stating that a Spyder went into a dealer for service, running perfectly, and came out all screwed up. Well, when our Spyder goes in for service, it's going to need it. I am not afraid of the engine going bad. If it was assembled correctly at the factory, it's bullet proof. I don't want to let a mechanic do anything to it and mess it up. I am sure many of you will disagree, but that's OK. I hope to continue posting on here with our review of our Spyder. So far, 8000 miles it has had GPS and spring replaced and the parking brake modified. The GPS and spring was a good fix. The parking brake worked worse after the modification. I have since corrected that. My plans are to have the valves checked no sooner than 25,000 miles. That engine is staying closed as long as it can. I will change my plugs at 20,000 miles, with my air filter. Since going with Royal Purple Max-Cycle Synthetic motorcycle oil, 10W40, I will change my oil no sooner than 5000 miles. That's the way I have done with all my motorcycles since 1966 and have never had any major problems with any of them. If I get any warranty issues not concerning the engine, there should not be any contest during the warranty period. We'll see what happens.

bone crusher
04-26-2009, 07:00 PM
I've only riden my, correction... my SO's, 09 SE5 for about 50 miles and it has a terrible low speed wine. The oil level is right on the mark following their procedure for checking the level. I'm debating on whether it is the gear box or the drive belt.

I'm considering the foil insulation that is used on the F-series Ford diesels on the side panels. That should quieten it some. Has anyone tried insulating the sides?

I noticed that a panel or two has sound insulation on it...like the stuff stores use when installing stereo equipment in a car...I'm wondering if more can be used...it looks like aluminum foil with some insulation that sticks on one side....easy enough to put on, if you know where to put it.

I agree that the plastic allows for some interesting noises and that some sound dampening would help a lot!

burg650
04-26-2009, 10:42 PM
At speeds of 49 - 53 I am getting a very bad vibration in the seat area and the front pegs, it only happens at that speed and it is very intense any idea what this might be.

NancysToy
04-27-2009, 06:13 AM
At speeds of 49 - 53 I am getting a very bad vibration in the seat area and the front pegs, it only happens at that speed and it is very intense any idea what this might be.
Probably belt vibrations. If you change the belt tension slightly, it should move one way or the other, but virtually all machines exhibit this at some rpm.
-Scotty

trikester
04-29-2009, 11:23 AM
I have had my Spyder a little over a year now and I don't notice the whine anymore. Either I got used to it and "tune" it out, or the straight cut gears have worn in, or maybe it's because my oil has been over-full ever since I had the dealer do the 700 mile service.

I will probably have the dealer do the 3K service also and I'll ask them if they ever read the factory instructions on how to change and re-fill the oil. After that service, I'm going to do it myself and probably go with Dudley's advice on oil and miles to change it.

Firefly
04-29-2009, 11:56 AM
I also agree that most 'gear whine' people are hearing is actually belt noise from not being adjusted correctly.

aubierules
04-30-2009, 12:32 PM
i know on one of my previous bikes...i installed a windshield and i heard all kinds of things that i never heard b4..dont know if u have/had one, or a taller one but just a thought

Firefly
04-30-2009, 04:32 PM
i know on one of my previous bikes...i installed a windshield and i heard all kinds of things that i never heard b4..dont know if u have/had one, or a taller one but just a thought

:agree:

Great point - with my CalSci on I can hear all kinds of stuff - and don't need earplugs - but with my shorter shield (like the Givi) I have much more wind on my helmet (no buffetting though) - and can't hear as much because of the wind noise - so I wear earplugs - which you should wear anyways.

spy08
04-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Is loud gear whine when backing off common to all Spyders?

First gear starting out also whines but the whine when backing off and shifting down through the gears is so loud it is basically all can I hear. Does everyone have this or is there something wrong with my bike?

I would assume it is not a lubrication problem because I'm also assuming that the engine oil also is the gear oil (in the same case).

Frank

Funny you asked this, about two weeks ago i heard a grinding noise coming from the back of my bike. This is mostly heard when i am backing the bike (reverse). It sounds and goes away quickly. Is this normal?

trikester
04-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Funny you asked this, about two weeks ago i heard a grinding noise coming from the back of my bike. This is mostly heard when i am backing the bike (reverse). It sounds and goes away quickly. Is this normal?

I get that also but only sometimes when I'm backing up. It starts suddenly and can quit suddenly. I never get it going forward. It doesn't sound like anything good is happening, but so far no damage that I know of. :dontknow:

SpyderByter
05-02-2009, 01:24 AM
If you really want to hear some noise take a ride on it with the side panels off :yikes:

Yes, did that one day. Had most of the skins off and wanted to show the dealer a leak I found. Tightened down what I had to, and rode it. Wow, I was amazed at how much noise those skins mute!

bjt
05-02-2009, 05:52 AM

Yes, did that one day. Had most of the skins off and wanted to show the dealer a leak I found. Tightened down what I had to, and rode it. Wow, I was amazed at how much noise those skins mute!

:hun: I haven't noticed it being that much louder without the panels on. Been riding with it all week without the engine cowls in place. :dontknow:

NancysToy
05-02-2009, 06:40 AM
:hun: I haven't noticed it being that much louder without the panels on. Been riding with it all week without the engine cowls in place. :dontknow:
See, that short period when you ran with the Hindle deafened you already! :joke:
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

Roaddog2
05-02-2009, 07:05 AM
Will you guys stop your whining :roflblack: :gaah::2thumbs:

Roaddog2
05-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Now there's 'the pot callin' the kettle black'..........:D:agree::agree::ani29: