PDA

View Full Version : SmoothSpyder belt tensioner

JasonAM
02-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Well I'm narrowing down the mods I want to accomplish prior to the start of the riding season. A Bajaron sway bar is definitely at the top of my list, including a few other odds n ends. What i'm wondering about is this belt tensioner by SmoothSpyder. I'm making my mod choices by what I "hear" or read what others post about. I dont hear much or nothing at all about this belt tensioner. Anyone out there have this product on their Spyder plz let me know what you think, it would be highly appreciated :thumbup:

JkRbbt
02-27-2013, 12:09 PM
I know some of you really like the tensioner. As the owner of a 2013, my question would be, are there any differences from previous model RTs as far as the belt is concerned? It is still a BIG belt and I'm thinking that I might benefit. Suggestions?? Thanx! :dontknow:

warp10
02-27-2013, 12:28 PM
:ohyea: Very good mod to do. Takes up the slack in the bottom of the belt. Keeps it from vibrating in a cross wind or just going down the highway.

SPYD1
02-27-2013, 12:29 PM
To me a must have for the 09 model I have...

Wiredux
02-27-2013, 12:51 PM
I have been thinking about getting one of these installed on my RT.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

Some Guy
02-27-2013, 12:57 PM
I have Firefly's belt tensioner from his totaled Spyder. Love it! :ohyea:

ultra93
02-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Well I'm narrowing down the mods I want to accomplish prior to the start of the riding season. A Bajaron sway bar is definitely at the top of my list, including a few other odds n ends. What i'm wondering about is this belt tensioner by SmoothSpyder. I'm making my mod choices by what I "hear" or read what others post about. I dont hear much or nothing at all about this belt tensioner. Anyone out there have this product on their Spyder plz let me know what you think, it would be highly appreciated :thumbup: I have had mine on my 2012 RT for 4800 miles and love it! Takes the "buzz" out of the handlebars at 5 to 6K RPM. Besides the upgraded sway bar this is one of the best mods I invested in.

johnwinslow
02-27-2013, 01:04 PM
i Have a smooth spyder on my 2011 RTS Set it and Forget it its great

mcaccamise
02-27-2013, 01:09 PM
I for one think the Rons sway bar is a plus the belt tensioner is a decision thet a spyder owner can make if you have a bad vibration above 55 MPH my 2012 RSS has no vibration so for me at this point it is an un necessary mod so ill look for other farkles to add to my spyder.
Mike

Bob Denman
02-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Did somebody mention "other farkles"?? :shocked: :roflblack:
I've got no noticeable vibration in my RT either; so it's on to the chrome and lights section! :2thumbs:
(After the shocks, horn, swaybar, and adjustable air deflector sections anyway! ;))

eddieshep999
02-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Well I'm narrowing down the mods I want to accomplish prior to the start of the riding season. A Bajaron sway bar is definitely at the top of my list, including a few other odds n ends. What i'm wondering about is this belt tensioner by SmoothSpyder. I'm making my mod choices by what I "hear" or read what others post about. I dont hear much or nothing at all about this belt tensioner. Anyone out there have this product on their Spyder plz let me know what you think, it would be highly appreciated :thumbup:

Try these links :-

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?42898-Installed-Capt-Jim-s-Belt-Tensioner-today

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39969-Installing-the-smoothspyder-Belt-Tensioner

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?46440-smoothspyder&highlight=smoothspyder

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?38741-smoothspyder-belt-system&highlight=smoothspyder

Not sure if the SmoothSpyder will fit 2013 Models so if yours is a 2013 Model you will need to check first
I have it fitted on my 2010 RT-S SE5 and have been well pleased with it
Capt Jim who came up with and supplies the SmoothSpyder is very helpful and is always willing to give guidance and advice

bobnaquin
02-27-2013, 08:28 PM

Hands down the tensioner is the best thing I have done to my 2008. It was not required when the belt was tighter. Of course then you had to change out rear bearings more often. But with the looser belt spec the smooth spyder tensioner is a must. BRP will eventually make it standard equipment right after they move the rear view mirrors so you are not looking at your hands.

I am sure Ron's sway bar is good and I ntend to order one on my next oil order.

BTW I am a tough sell on all of these farkle like thingeys of which half are useless to harmful.

my3gs
02-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Well i am half an half i have 1 an it has taken out some of the vib but not all i may still need to play with it some. It has been on for about 1200 miles.

Chupaca
02-28-2013, 12:06 AM
Been pretty well covered above...so I will just say worked out well for me...:thumbup:

Captain Fin
02-28-2013, 06:35 AM
Captain Jim lives close to me. He lives in Homestead Fl.. One day he stopped into a Cuban restaurant I was having lunch in as he saw my Spyder parked outside. He had lunch with me and to my surprise said he was going to Marathon to deliver a smooth spyder. From his home to Marathon and back is about 140 miles. Now that is customer service.
I installed the smooth spyder on my 2011 RTS and love it. It took me about 2 hours and was not at all complicated. It makes a slight turbo sound as you are tacking up that sounds really cool.

jtpollock
02-28-2013, 02:35 PM
[QUOTE=JasonAM;580326]Well I'm narrowing down the mods I want to accomplish prior to the start of the riding season. A Bajaron sway bar is definitely at the top of my list, including a few other odds n ends. What i'm wondering about is this belt tensioner by SmoothSpyder. I'm making my mod choices by what I "hear" or read what others post about. I dont hear much or nothing at all about this belt tensioner. Anyone out there have this product on their Spyder plz let me know what you think, it would be highly appreciated :thumbup:[I have the belt tensioner and am very happy with it with that belt being so long Im suprised that Can Am has not made it a standard part just make sure that you do not set the tension to high. I would highly recoment it I have put 12000 miles sence the installation I like it. jtpollock :2thumbs:]

capt.jim
02-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Try these links :-

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?42898-Installed-Capt-Jim-s-Belt-Tensioner-today

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39969-Installing-the-smoothspyder-Belt-Tensioner

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?46440-smoothspyder&highlight=smoothspyder

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?38741-smoothspyder-belt-system&highlight=smoothspyder

Not sure if the SmoothSpyder will fit 2013 Models so if yours is a 2013 Model you will need to check first
I have it fitted on my 2010 RT-S SE5 and have been well pleased with it
Capt Jim who came up with and supplies the SmoothSpyder is very helpful and is always willing to give guidance and advice

I have redesigned the tensioner bracket to fit the 2013 ST, I haven't been able to check the fitment on the RT and RS's yet, but they should be close if not the same. The mounting and alignment are much, much easier now, BRP has left a nice hole on the frame where you used to have to drill to mount the RT tensioner, all 2013's will now use this same mounting spot provided there is enough room on the RT's and RS's. The bracket is now double thickness and tapped where a single 1/2" grade 8 bolt will attach the tensioner to the frame, blue locktite will be included. The 2" idler pulley will be standard. My ST arrived with 220 Lbs. of static belt tension sitting on the ground and even at that high static tension I noticed some vibration at 72-76 MPH, with the tensioner there is just a slight bit at 74 and then it stops. Hopefully it works as well when I loosen up the belt to 160-180 where I feel comfortable. The belt has not loosened or stretched so far. As soon as I finish up some paperwork and test the performance with a lower static tension they will be available, at least for the ST's.