PDA

View Full Version : Dumb DD

daddydarko
04-13-2008, 08:24 PM
I finally finished my cross-state ride in freezing snow and rain to retrieve my :spyder:. Had to stop at a hotel along the way when I couldn't feel my fingers anymore.
I had never ridden a motorcycle before driving this off the lot. I think that speaks volumes for both the ease of operation of the :spyder: and the stupidity of me. :redfaced: I didn't even have rain gear! I got so desperate that I stopped at MC Sports to buy a pair of batting gloves to wear under my riding gloves!
I made it though and I couldn't be happier. Just hope I don't have pneumonia. :barf:

Lamonster
04-13-2008, 08:26 PM
:congrats:
Warm shower will get the blood flowing again. You are a biker now Bro ;D :doorag: :spyder:

Simon
04-13-2008, 08:29 PM
:congrats: Congrats on getting your bike. :bigthumbsup:

I'm still trying to decide whether to ride my bike back from the dealer, or trailer it. It's about 115 miles for me...

Lamonster
04-13-2008, 08:32 PM
:congrats: Congrats on getting your bike. :bigthumbsup:

I'm still trying to decide whether to ride my bike back from the dealer, or trailer it. It's about 115 miles for me...

You won't even have to stop for gas at 115 miles ;D
My ride back from the dealer was 800 miles. :doorag:

jeuchler
04-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Congratulations! :bigthumbsup: :spyder:

... I made it though and I couldn't be happier. Just hope I don't have pneumonia...

When I brought home #2929, my lovely bride followed me in her Subaru.

I pulled over after an hour's driving in 45 degree weather + wind, and she said "Something wrong with the Spyder? Is it OK??"

To which I replied with a little too much edge, "No. I'M COLD!!"

(Snowing again today when my daughter helped me put on the mirror extensions. "Neither snow nor rain nor dark of night" ought to be the Spyderlovers' motto, not the post office!)

Simon
04-13-2008, 08:42 PM
You won't even have to stop for gas at 115 miles ;D
My ride back from the dealer was 800 miles. :doorag:

That's a good ride. :)

When I bought my Big Dog Chopper I rode it back from Oklahoma City to Dallas (not sure how many miles, but google says 206).

I'd never ridden a cruiser before that, just a VFR 800 Sports tourer. I got on the chopper and went to put my feet backwards for the pegs... :redfaced: lmao. It was an interesting ride.

I hated the first 30 miles. Couldn't believe how big a mistake I'd made. The mirrors vibrated, my hands lost feeling, turning corners was tough, the front brake sucked... Then I stopped for a bath room break, and the next part of the ride was more enjoyable. Then I stopped for gas and got a bunch of nice comments. By the time I arrived in Dallas (and even through a thunderstorm) I loved the thing. I still have it, but my riding requirements have changed. Hence the Spyder. :)

Lamonster
04-13-2008, 08:45 PM
That's a good ride. :)

When I bought my Big Dog Chopper I rode it back from Oklahoma City to Dallas (not sure how many miles, but google says 206).

I'd never ridden a cruiser before that, just a VFR 800 Sports tourer. I got on the chopper and went to put my feet backwards for the pegs... :redfaced: lmao. It was an interesting ride.

I hated the first 30 miles. Couldn't believe how big a mistake I'd made. The mirrors vibrated, my hands lost feeling, turning corners was tough, the front brake sucked... Then I stopped for a bath room break, and the next part of the ride was more enjoyable. Then I stopped for gas and got a bunch of nice comments. By the time I arrived in Dallas (and even through a thunderstorm) I loved the thing. I still have it, but my riding requirements have changed. Hence the Spyder. :)

That sounds a little like my ride home on the Spyder. ;D
http://www.spyderlovers.com/smf/index.php?topic=191.0

Simon
04-13-2008, 08:58 PM
That sounds a little like my ride home on the Spyder. ;D
http://www.spyderlovers.com/smf/index.php?topic=191.0

Great read, thanks for posting the link. Similar story in many ways.

This just makes me more and more eager to get my bike. :-X :2excited:

dltang
04-13-2008, 09:08 PM
I finally finished my cross-state ride in freezing snow and rain to retrieve my :spyder:. Had to stop at a hotel along the way when I couldn't feel my fingers anymore.
I had never ridden a motorcycle before driving this off the lot. I think that speaks volumes for both the ease of operation of the :spyder: and the stupidity of me. :redfaced: I didn't even have rain gear! I got so desperate that I stopped at MC Sports to buy a pair of batting gloves to wear under my riding gloves!
I made it though and I couldn't be happier. Just hope I don't have pneumonia. :barf:

I hope you're not sick. I know how it is to ride in that weather, but I usually dress for it. I know you bought your Spyder in Brighton at C&C but where did you have to drive back too? If you don't mind my asking. The weather is supposed to get better over the next few days so you can put some miles on your new Spyder. I love mine

SPYMAN
04-13-2008, 11:02 PM
:congrats: :congrats:

Sounds like quite the ride Bro!!!
We do live & learn. I have a similar story years ago on my quad we was up at a place called cold creek.
Weather was nice when we unloaded so off we went up the mountain on our 40 mile ride & needless to say
wind & rain came in about the time we got to the top. Moral of the story always be prepaired for any thing.
It sounds like we like to learn the hard way. As long as we survive it will just make us stronger..

Again :congrats: :congrats: on your new Spyder.

SPYMAN

daddydarko
04-14-2008, 06:18 AM
I hope you're not sick. I know how it is to ride in that weather, but I usually dress for it. I know you bought your Spyder in Brighton at C&C but where did you have to drive back too? If you don't mind my asking. The weather is supposed to get better over the next few days so you can put some miles on your new Spyder. I love mine

I'm a Hollander (points on Michigan hand map). I'm driving her rain, snow, or apocalyptic blizzard. I've waited too long to let something as trivial as frost bite to keep me grounded.

NancysToy
04-14-2008, 07:29 AM
I'm a Hollander (points on Michigan hand map). I'm driving her rain, snow, or apocalyptic blizzard. I've waited too long to let something as trivial as frost bite to keep me grounded.

We're in Battle Creek, and I was born in Saugatuck, so I can point to that spot on the map, too. :) Gonna be in Holland with the wife's Spyder later this week distributing flyers for our vintage motorcycle show in June. Send me a PM, and we'll find a way to ride together sometime soon...after you warm up.
-Scotty

trikester
04-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Wow! Here I was bitching about the heat on my first two days of riding my new Spyder this past weekend. Temps in the low nineties sure did make it feel good to pull away from the stoplights and get the air moving again. After parking the bike and then having to get back on that black seat, did not feel good! Can you say; "toasted buns"?

Frank

Director
04-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Wow! Here I was bitching about the heat on my first two days of riding my new Spyder this past weekend. Temps in the low nineties sure did make it feel good to pull away from the stoplights and get the air moving again. After parking the bike and then having to get back on that black seat, did not feel good! Can you say; "toasted buns"?

Frank

Frank this is actually a serious issue. After one long, hot muggy summer ride three years ago that left me in misery for several days after, I purchased a "beadrider" beaded seat cushion. It doesn't look comfortable, but it really is, and I sure found it helped. A lot of long distance riders use these things and they go a long way to preventing that dreaded chafing monkey butt. :( Here is a link to the product (no connection with them - I'm just a happy customer):

http://www.beadrider.com/

Cheers,

Bruce

trikester
04-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks Bruce, for the suggestion. :bigthumbsup:

Frank

jeuchler
04-14-2008, 05:56 PM
...It doesn't look comfortable, but it really is, and I sure found it helped. A lot of long distance riders use these things and they go a long way to preventing that dreaded chafing monkey butt...

Bruce, does the beadrider just attach via bungee-type cords under the side of the seat?

Secondly, if you've used them a while, did you notice any wear on the seat itself? I just put on the BRP seatcover and I'd really hate to wreck it.

I remember when I had a 160 mile per day commute for a summer, and I had a beadrider in my 1970 Plymouth Duster (no a/c) and it's probably the reason I am still able to sit today! ;D

Director
04-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Bruce, does the beadrider just attach via bungee-type cords under the side of the seat?

Secondly, if you've used them a while, did you notice any wear on the seat itself? I just put on the BRP seatcover and I'd really hate to wreck it.

I remember when I had a 160 mile per day commute for a summer, and I had a beadrider in my 1970 Plymouth Duster (no a/c) and it's probably the reason I am still able to sit today! ;D

Yes, it does attach via bungee-type cords that go underneath the seat. I have not noticed any undue wear on my current saddle, but it is a pretty thick naugahyde. I'm not sure how tough the Spyder seat covers are - I have only seen pictures of them. I understand your hesitation to put anything on top of something that looks so nice.

My family had a 1970 Duster as well - blue with a manual transmission (three on the tree) and like you, no air, of course. I don't know if air conditioning wasn't as widely popular back then or my parents were just being frugal. ;D

Bruce

NancysToy
04-15-2008, 06:51 AM
Frank this is actually a serious issue. After one long, hot muggy summer ride three years ago that left me in misery for several days after, I purchased a "beadrider" beaded seat cushion. It doesn't look comfortable, but it really is, and I sure found it helped. A lot of long distance riders use these things and they go a long way to preventing that dreaded chafing monkey butt.

I like the Alaska Leather sheepskin. http://www.alaskaleather.com/ You would think it would be hot, but it is not. Also is warmer during cold rides. It attaches with an elastic strap under the seat. Got for an extra 50 miles before monkey butt starts to creep in, too.
-Scotty