PDA

View Full Version : Soft handling issues on 2013 Spyders has a fix-please read

Lamonster
02-26-2013, 04:01 PM
BRP has found that some vehicles have been produced using front suspension lower arm ball joints with too high friction that may affect the dynamic driving performance and the customer satisfaction.
BRP has issued Tuesday a warranty campaign for 2013 spyder models affected by this problem.
This bulletin is now available for all dealers.

The solution is very simple. BRP is asking dealers to replace suspension lower arm ball joints on both sides under warranty.
This will help dealers to solve the issue with currently registered spyders. For customers who have not noticed a soft driving behavior, BRP still recommends getting the new ball joints installed.
It's a repair that can be achieve in less than an hour and will provide peace of mine and customer satisfaction.

Starting February 28, 2013; BRP will auto-ship a significant quantity of ball joints to dealers to speed the process. The priorities will be registered units and seasonality.
Finally, for customers looking to purchase new 2013 Spyders, dealers will most likely replace ball joints at PDI when assembling the bikes so this will not be an issue for them.

ARtraveler
02-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Thank you for posting the information from BRP. :thumbup:

Spydered
02-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Thanks for posting Lamont. Now maybe I will get a delivery date.

GuitarPlayer
02-26-2013, 04:07 PM
My dealer told me essentially the same thing today. I'm glad BRP figured out what was causing the issue.

Tony

daveinva
02-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Just to confirm: is this a separate issue from the mis-alignment issues, or is this the problem that was causing the mis-alignment issues?

Lamonster
02-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Just to confirm: is this a separate issue from the mis-alignment issues, or is this the problem that was causing the mis-alignment issues?

This is separate and some of the alinement issues may have to do with the ball joint and not the alinement at all. It's hard to say as this point but for sure all the lower ball joints should be replaced and hopefully that will solve the problem for those who are having it.

StanProff
02-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Good news for all!

Bob Denman
02-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks Lamont, for getting the info out to all of us! :2thumbs:
This confirms what was reported earlier... :clap: Thanks Weapon!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?49163-2013-steering-fix

ivanlee
02-26-2013, 05:51 PM
This is separate and some of the alinement issues may have to do with the ball joint and not the alinement at all. It's hard to say as this point but for sure all the lower ball joints should be replaced and hopefully that will solve the problem for those who are having it.

Are they going to do alignment after installing new ball joints. :dontknow:
:dontknow:

Lamonster
02-26-2013, 06:16 PM
It's not required but can be done if needed.

BikerDoc
02-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Seems like another example of BRP's improved responsiveness....

arntufun
02-26-2013, 07:04 PM

Thats a very tricky but excellent question.

If your Spyder was aligned properly from the factory with good ball joints than no you would not need to have it aligned again.

But it is my understanding they are not correct from the factory, so technically your original alignment could be off even when these new ball joints are installed .

It could be off from the factory because it was originally aligned using bad ball joints. I'm not saying it is....... but it's possible.

Bob Denman
02-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Or at the very least; insist that they check it for you! :thumbup:

cyclelover63
02-26-2013, 08:53 PM
I work at an auto dealership,and any tie rod replacement INCLUDES setting toe...That way you can't be blamed for tire wear later on..Good customer service also!

NancysToy
02-26-2013, 09:05 PM
I work at an auto dealership,and any tie rod replacement INCLUDES setting toe...That way you can't be blamed for tire wear later on..Good customer service also!
Ball joints aren't the same as tie-rods, and normally replacement doesn't change the alignment.

Chupaca
02-26-2013, 09:59 PM
:agree: Good to know that now all can move on to selling the 2013's with the knowledge that all is right in the world of spyder ryding.. Thanks Lamont and Weapon...:thumbup:

ThreeWheels
02-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Ball joints aren't the same as tie-rods, and normally replacement doesn't change the alignment.

Good point.

I wonder if we will get reports of continued wandering after the ball joints are replaced.
Only time will tell.
Still, this is a good example of BRP standing behind their product.

arntufun
02-26-2013, 10:36 PM

"Normally" speaking you are correct.

If the Spyder was originally aligned with bad ball joints would you agree this would not fall under "normally" ????

NancysToy
02-26-2013, 10:54 PM
"Normally" speaking you are correct.

If the Spyder was originally aligned with bad ball joints would you agree this would not fall under "normally" ????

No, it would still depend on the original alignment...unless the original ball joints were too loose. These are too tight, so they should be well centered and replacement should not affect alignment. That is a separate issue.

MouthPiece
02-27-2013, 06:58 AM
I guess my question is why would this phenomena, i.e., wandering only when you reach 60 mph and higher, and not speeds lower than 60 mph based on "the ball joint"?

I'm asking this question for information purposes only, and not as a "doubter" that this is the fix.

Chris

Bob Denman
02-27-2013, 07:52 AM
Let's face it folks; it's gonna take some tires on the pavement to see if this fix cuts the mustard... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_15.gif

NancysToy
02-27-2013, 08:48 AM
I guess my question is why would this phenomena, i.e., wandering only when you reach 60 mph and higher, and not speeds lower than 60 mph based on "the ball joint"?

I'm asking this question for information purposes only, and not as a "doubter" that this is the fix.

Chris
I'm not convinced either, but time will tell. The phenomenon at speed could conceivably be due to the dynamic power steering being phased out as speed rises. It therefore would no longer be able to overcome the resistance of the ball joint, resulting in wandering as the rider fights it a bit. Just thinking out loud here. I'm sure the BRP engineers and techs have put lots of thought into this. :dontknow:

Lamonster
02-27-2013, 09:11 AM
I'm not convinced either, but time will tell. The phenomenon at speed could conceivably be due to the dynamic power steering being phased out as speed rises. It therefore would no longer be able to overcome the resistance of the ball joint, resulting in wandering as the rider fights it a bit. Just thinking out loud here. I'm sure the BRP engineers and techs have put lots of thought into this. :dontknow:

I think that's a reasonable guess. I'm not sure if they got different ball joints for the test units than the production units but I'm pretty sure they don't make the ball joints so it was most likely a supply issue. That's my guess, I don't know for sure but I'm glad they feel sure enough that this is the problem that they are replacing all the 2013 lower ball joints. :doorag:

shrubs
02-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanx for posting this as I was going to pick up my '13 from Honda East on Friday. Now I'll wait until this is competed and "hopefully" all will be well. :pray:

NancysToy
02-27-2013, 10:55 AM
I think that's a reasonable guess. I'm not sure if they got different ball joints for the test units than the production units but I'm pretty sure they don't make the ball joints so it was most likely a supply issue. That's my guess, I don't know for sure but I'm glad they feel sure enough that this is the problem that they are replacing all the 2013 lower ball joints. :doorag:
:agree: Could just have been a bad batch of ball joints from the supplier...and they could be unsure of exactly which Spyders have the bad ones. Better to be proactive and change them all.

jerpinoy
02-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Base on past posts, 2013's have new frames and few miles have been logged and time will tell. It would be nice if BRP did actual testing (not only computer simulations) on this new fix. :yes:

ARtraveler
02-27-2013, 05:47 PM
I have also adopted the wait and see as to whether this is the fix or not. It will take lots of 2013,s out on the roads, and some accumulated miles, which should tell a lot more.

I am sure that with all that is at stake, BRP has been very careful before doing or saying anything. I know they want to get it right on, and be done with the problem.

Here is hoping we start to hear of some good results in the next couple weeks or so.

Bob Denman
02-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Here is hoping we start to hear of some good results in the next couple weeks or so.

:agree: :clap: :cheers:

CurrantRyder
02-27-2013, 09:01 PM
My 2013 RT LTD is now on it's way back from BRP's test facility in Arizona. Per my factory rep, ball joint and allignment fixes have been made, by the factory team, on site. Rep states that my machine is now spot on and believes I will be happy with it. He has promised follow up to make sure handling problems have been fixed.

Unlike some dealer service departments, with variable levels of committment, this should be a good test of the fix receipe that BRP has instituted, performed by their own trained staff. The rep stated that BRP had rolling shop and a complete staff of seasoned engineers, working 7 days a week, at this test site.

I'm expecting the machine back in my possession by this Friday. The weather forecast has blessed this event and predicts sunny highs near 80 degrees. Any takers on betting how long it will take me to hit the highway?!!!

I'll be happy to share my results with the SpyderLover family very soon. I am appreciative of the positive comments received by so many in the forum. Even though many are not affected by the problem, these kind of issues have a way of "bleeding" onto the entire product line, affecting reputation and re-sale values. Hardly anyone remembers the specific models of Toyotas that had sticking gas pedals. Most just registered "be careful if you buy a Toyota."

cpdblegl
02-27-2013, 09:18 PM
I was sitting in my delearships service department office yesterday, discussing my 2013 RT, when the manager and I discovered this thread, and when he checked his e-mail... voila... bad ball joint safety campaign... he hit print ... handed his tech the nine page fix, and made me an appointment for me next week, when he figures he will have his hands on the parts...
CurrantRyder - looking forward to reading how your 'fix' translates into a smile!
Come on sunshine! :D

CurrantRyder
02-27-2013, 09:28 PM
forgot to mention....when I asked the BRP rep how this whole handling thing happened, and specifically why pre-production units were fine, while other post production units were not...he hesitated some, but after my persistant cornering he then indicated a bad "batch" of lower ball joints had been supplied by an independent manufacturer. He was careful to take full responsibility and not put it on that manufacturer, saying that the factory will deal with that end of the problem.

WhiteFang
02-27-2013, 11:06 PM
when a vehicle wanders at higher speeds its usually due to excessive toe out of the front wheels. This could be due to mis-alignment or a component failure/out of factory spec.(loose/tight ball joints, loose tie rods etc.)

ARtraveler
02-28-2013, 12:41 AM
currantryder: We will surely be looking forward to how your test ride goes. Keeping our fingers crossed for good news all around. If anyone can fix your :spyder2: it should surely be the people from BRP.

Bob Denman
02-28-2013, 07:44 AM
:agree: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_15.gif

burg650
02-28-2013, 11:28 AM
My question for future new buyers how will they know if the one they are getting is an older one that need to be fixed by the dealer or one that came from the factory that already has the new ball joints.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-28-2013, 12:06 PM
My question for future new buyers how will they know if the one they are getting is an older one that need to be fixed by the dealer or one that came from the factory that already has the new ball joints.

They can track which spyders got the BAD parts through the VIN #'s and then contact the owner's to get it corrected. IMHO...Mike..:thumbup:

weapon
02-28-2013, 12:11 PM
My 2013 RT LTD is now on it's way back from BRP's test facility in Arizona. Per my factory rep, ball joint and allignment fixes have been made, by the factory team, on site. Rep states that my machine is now spot on and believes I will be happy with it. He has promised follow up to make sure handling problems have been fixed.

Unlike some dealer service departments, with variable levels of committment, this should be a good test of the fix receipe that BRP has instituted, performed by their own trained staff. The rep stated that BRP had rolling shop and a complete staff of seasoned engineers, working 7 days a week, at this test site.

I'm expecting the machine back in my possession by this Friday. The weather forecast has blessed this event and predicts sunny highs near 80 degrees. Any takers on betting how long it will take me to hit the highway?!!!

I'll be happy to share my results with the SpyderLover family very soon. I am appreciative of the positive comments received by so many in the forum. Even though many are not affected by the problem, these kind of issues have a way of "bleeding" onto the entire product line, affecting reputation and re-sale values. Hardly anyone remembers the specific models of Toyotas that had sticking gas pedals. Most just registered "be careful if you buy a Toyota."
:popcorn:

CurrantRyder
02-28-2013, 09:55 PM
In summary of my previous posting; my 2013 RT LTD was scooped up by BRP lat week and taken to their Arizona testing facility, along with other affected machines in this area. I'd like to think mine was the worst of the lot, but that's conjecture on my part.

My dealer called this morning and said my RT was dropped off at their dealership at about 8:00pm last night. Took them all day today to get around to washing it and releasing it to me (somewhat akin to Chinese water torture), finally I just went to the dealer before closing time and said "ready or not I want it." I got nothing from them stating what had been done, just assurances that the ball joints were replaced and they think perhaps allignment adjusted as well.

OK, enough of the drama. I gassed the black beauty and headed out for my pre-surveyed 50 mile test route. The route consited of very mixed roads, including nasty secondary black top complete with whoop de doos, silk smooth new pavement, well worn in pavement with compressed tracks, and finally freshly grooved concrete.

OK, enough of the drama. Can we all in unison sing that old Cole Porter favorite..."Night and Day", while we think of Jacques Clouseau (the Pink Panther) saying in his very French accent...."the case is now sol-ved". Because it is.

I averaged 65-75 mph and put it though several exercises. The most telling one is to bring it up to a good speed, say 70mph, and slam the throttle down while stabbing the brakes. IF, repeat IF, I could have even hit anything near 70 before, the machine would plow headlong either into the passing lane or the ditch (you never knew which way it would go) and then the futule chase for correction would begin while you scanned the instrument panel for the ejection seat button.

Doing the same exercise tonight, the machine stayed straight as an arrow with not so much as a twitch. Moreover, I never thought the handling below 55 was too bad, but now it's also better. There is a better, no, ....new "on center" feel that just wasn't there before.

Now...old business. This stability problem really, really wasn't anything to do with iron fisted, newby fixated over control of the handle bars. The problem was real. I stand vindicated, please.

Secondly, once BRP gave me a case number and jumped on the problem with both feet, things went pretty fast. My opinion of the large "powersport" franchises, however, still lies somewhere near 180 degrees from my opinion of BRP. The children running their service departments just don't get it. Because they don't pro-act, and instead cling to the time honored tradition of re-acting to problems, they're continually behind the curve, complaining about how busy they are, how stressed their customers are, and are total strangers to the concept of "follow-up." Other than that, they're just fine.

So, finally I can personally relate to the many comments in this forum about how fun these machines are. NOW I GET IT.

Those of you who are in the Sun City West, AZ part of the country, please be careful if you are on the roads near here in the next few weeks. That glare in your rear view mirror is not glint off of some trucker's chrome, it's my "toots" (Canadian for teeth) and the sun glinting in the middle of my smiling face.

Thank you BRP !

SpyderAnn01
02-28-2013, 10:05 PM
:clap::clap::clap:I am so glad to hear that your Spyder is fixed. Enjoy your new machine.

cpdblegl
02-28-2013, 10:08 PM
:clap: Wonderful... I can only hope my experience will be similar. my blkcrnt goes into the shop Saturday. When it comes out, I too, will let everyone know if it has been "fixed"!!!!
Now let's go ridin' !! :ohyea:

NancysToy
02-28-2013, 10:54 PM
I know the joy you are feeling. My 2010 did that sudden, unpredictable lane change thing, and scared the bejeebers out of me. "Night & Day" is a perfect reference to what happened when they made it right. Enjoy the Ryde!

cyclelover63
02-28-2013, 11:57 PM

Oops,You are correct..My mind wandered from ball joints to tie rod ends!

Big Arm
03-01-2013, 12:27 AM
CurrantRyder, I've been following all your post, since you first reported on your handling problem. I am happy that BRP stepped up to the plate, and was able to solve your problem. No doubt that your Spyder, was a learning experience for them also.
:congrats: to BRP on a quick fix, and I'm happy for you that you now have a great machine to ryde. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-01-2013, 07:41 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_105.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_13_11.gif :2thumbs:

weapon
03-01-2013, 08:41 AM
:thumbup: Great news.

GuitarPlayer
03-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Metro Motorsports is now applying the same fix to my RT-Limited. Hopefully I'll see it soon! Not that I can ride it anyway. We had 15" of snow this last week.

Tony

wildtexasrangr
03-01-2013, 09:57 AM
I called the dealer today and asked if he had info on this fix he stated yes but then asked for my vin. #. Gave it to him and he stated my bike is not under it. So wont do anything unless its in the computer for the vin #. ( Does this mean my bike is good or smoke blowing up the butt:banghead: ) this is my first spyder so I'm not sure ( ST limited ). Does all this stuff go under the vin.# or is for all 2013 bikes?

JJW SpyderRider
03-01-2013, 10:10 AM
I called the dealer today and asked if he had info on this fix he stated yes but then asked for my vin. #. Gave it to him and he stated my bike is not under it. So wont do anything unless its in the computer for the vin #. ( Does this mean my bike is good or smoke blowing up the butt:banghead: ) this is my first spyder so I'm not sure ( ST limited ). Does all this stuff go under the vin.# or is for all 2013 bikes?

The ball joint replacement may only be for some Spyders but there was also an issue with the alignment on some units. If your ST gets dangerous above 45 mph get the dealer to do the alignment or at least inspect the ST. My dealer would not touch my old GS if it was not on the VIN# list even though it was known that some on the list were effected also and should have been fixed.

twain
03-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Wildtexasrangr, just called my dealer and gave vin#. My ST has to go in according to BRP to have bearings swapped out. Pulled up and my bike was flagged so hope this answers your question. Twain

JKMSPYDER
03-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Wildtexasranger, if I read Lamonsters thread correctly, BRP recommends all 2013 Spyders get the new ball joints whether you are experiencing soft handling issues or not. If your dealer won't do it, get BRP involved.

MouthPiece
03-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Wildtexasranger, if I read Lamonsters thread correctly, BRP recommends all 2013 Spyders get the new ball joints whether you are experiencing soft handling issues or not. If your dealer won't do it, get BRP involved.

BINGO!!! The BRP bulletin was for ALL 2013's I'm having mine replaced as I write. (2013 RT-S). Seminole Power Sports in Sanford, Florida, says that it should take (and remember mine is their first one in doing this) about 2 hours max to get done.

I also asked them to ride it after the work is done, and give me an assessment on getting the allignment check out.

GEET ER DUN

Hope this helps.

Chris

[Edit: I'm going to "walk back" a little bit of what I just wrote. I would think that BRP would ask the dealer what the vin # is in order to approve the warranty work done. What I mean by this is that the dealer will do the work and submit a work order with the vin # to BRP. BRP will in turn compensate the dealer for the work performed. I would think that the dealer would need some verification (even though it is a "duh" situation), i.e., vin # confirmation from BRP. Just thinking out loud.]

Riding RT Limited
03-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Tuesday I went to "look" at the 2013 RT Limited. They had a couple of RT's on show room floor, but not a single Limited built. I told the salesman I was looking for a Pearl White Limited, he checked and had one still in the crate not built yet. Needless to say, I left with the purchase paperwork in hand. They were supposed to start building it yesterday. Yesterday I found this site, joined and started reading about the soft handling issues and found Lamonsters post about the fix recommended by BRP. I called the dealer, told him what I found and was advised that it would be taken care of prior to my pickup on Saturday morning. I was told that they can tell by the VIN which ones need to have the fix. I told him that although the problem machines are listed by VIN it is also recommended to complete the fix regardless. It is supposed to be fixed and ready today and I will be there in the morning when they open. Wish me luck, I have a 50 mile ride home mostly on the freeway!

bullant12
03-01-2013, 11:38 AM
BINGO!!! The BRP bulletin was for ALL 2013's I'm having mine replaced as I write. (2013 RT-S). Seminole Power Sports in Sanford, Florida, says that it should take (and remember mine is their first one in doing this) about 2 hours max to get done.

I also asked them to ride it after the work is done, and give me an assessment on getting the allignment check out.

GEET ER DUN

Hope this helps.

Chris

[Edit: I'm going to "walk back" a little bit of what I just wrote. I would think that BRP would ask the dealer what the vin # is in order to approve the warranty work done. What I mean by this is that the dealer will do the work and submit a work order with the vin # to BRP. BRP will in turn compensate the dealer for the work performed. I would think that the dealer would need some verification (even though it is a "duh" situation), i.e., vin # confirmation from BRP. Just thinking out loud.]

I just gave my dealer a call. The tech (which he's got experince in :spyder2:'s since most of the area riders go to him and I have been going to him the last few times) told me that it was based on VIN#. I told him that this was not what I heard, and proceeded to tell him that mine is a little "squirmy"... It rode nicely last Sunday but I had to place a little effort to keep her straight. Once I said that, he said he would schedule me once the ball joints came in. You need to let these guys know what is going on!

ARtraveler
03-01-2013, 03:23 PM
In summary of my previous posting; my 2013 RT LTD was scooped up by BRP lat week and taken to their Arizona testing facility, along with other affected machines in this area. I'd like to think mine was the worst of the lot, but that's conjecture on my part.

My dealer called this morning and said my RT was dropped off at their dealership at about 8:00pm last night. Took them all day today to get around to washing it and releasing it to me (somewhat akin to Chinese water torture), finally I just went to the dealer before closing time and said "ready or not I want it." I got nothing from them stating what had been done, just assurances that the ball joints were replaced and they think perhaps allignment adjusted as well.

OK, enough of the drama. I gassed the black beauty and headed out for my pre-surveyed 50 mile test route. The route consited of very mixed roads, including nasty secondary black top complete with whoop de doos, silk smooth new pavement, well worn in pavement with compressed tracks, and finally freshly grooved concrete.

OK, enough of the drama. Can we all in unison sing that old Cole Porter favorite..."Night and Day", while we think of Jacques Clouseau (the Pink Panther) saying in his very French accent...."the case is now sol-ved". Because it is.

I averaged 65-75 mph and put it though several exercises. The most telling one is to bring it up to a good speed, say 70mph, and slam the throttle down while stabbing the brakes. IF, repeat IF, I could have even hit anything near 70 before, the machine would plow headlong either into the passing lane or the ditch (you never knew which way it would go) and then the futule chase for correction would begin while you scanned the instrument panel for the ejection seat button.

Doing the same exercise tonight, the machine stayed straight as an arrow with not so much as a twitch. Moreover, I never thought the handling below 55 was too bad, but now it's also better. There is a better, no, ....new "on center" feel that just wasn't there before.

Now...old business. This stability problem really, really wasn't anything to do with iron fisted, newby fixated over control of the handle bars. The problem was real. I stand vindicated, please.

Secondly, once BRP gave me a case number and jumped on the problem with both feet, things went pretty fast. My opinion of the large "powersport" franchises, however, still lies somewhere near 180 degrees from my opinion of BRP. The children running their service departments just don't get it. Because they don't pro-act, and instead cling to the time honored tradition of re-acting to problems, they're continually behind the curve, complaining about how busy they are, how stressed their customers are, and are total strangers to the concept of "follow-up." Other than that, they're just fine.

So, finally I can personally relate to the many comments in this forum about how fun these machines are. NOW I GET IT.

Those of you who are in the Sun City West, AZ part of the country, please be careful if you are on the roads near here in the next few weeks. That glare in your rear view mirror is not glint off of some trucker's chrome, it's my "toots" (Canadian for teeth) and the sun glinting in the middle of my smiling face.

Thank you BRP !

I am liking what I am reading. Hope we hear a repeat with others who have the fix done.

MouthPiece
03-01-2013, 03:56 PM
I am liking what I am reading. Hope we hear a repeat with others who have the fix done.

As I said earlier in this thread, my dealer installed the new ball joints. WOW!!! I had no idea. All I can say is that I didn't experience the severe wandering that some had described. Did I experience wandering? Yes, but I honestly thought it was normal. I say that because I hadn't been "in the saddle" for almost a year, and I can remember the first time I took my spyder going 80 mph. I just felt that it would take a little time to get back in the groove.

I picked up my spyder about 1:30 P.M., and have been riding it ever since. I rode from Sanford to Deland on
I-4, going speeds varying from 65 to 80 mph. The 60 mph seemed to be where the wandering kicked in. I could put my spyder on cruise control doing 75 mph and take my hands off the handle bars. The thing went dead straight down the road.

The other thing that I had experienced before the change was that when I wanted to come to a quick stop, my spyder wanted to go all over the place. That too has been fixed or at least has disappeared since the did the work on it today.

I'm totally satisfied that this issue has been addressed and has been diagnosed correctly by BRP. My service manager showed me the old ball joints. One would move freely. The other was as though it clicked to move. (meaning that it was much more resistant to moving).

Anywho, I just thought I'd be "one of the others that has had the fix done"

Chris

Big Arm
03-01-2013, 04:23 PM

Chris

:clap: :2thumbs: :clap:

weapon
03-01-2013, 04:34 PM
:thumbup: I like it :firstplace:

Riding RT Limited
03-01-2013, 09:39 PM
12 hours 22 minutes till I pick up my New Limited and counting! :yes:

twain
03-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Riding RT, where are you getting it from? I am right down the road from you in Rosharon. :yes: Need to hook up and do some riding. We have a pretty good group of Spyder Ryder's around here.

krazykat
03-02-2013, 05:23 PM

Chris

The wandering is indeed present below 60mph. I have felt it (to a much lower degree) as slow as 45mph. I guess it's just because the faster you go, the more severe and noticeable it becomes. I have been too frightened to try it above 70mph. Certainly hope this repair solves the problem. (2013 RT Limited).

Spyder Smyles
03-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Is this for all 2013 models?

Bob Denman
03-02-2013, 07:19 PM
It SEEMS to be an across the board issue; yes!
But not every bike!

Riding RT Limited
03-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Riding RT, where are you getting it from? I am right down the road from you in Rosharon. :yes: Need to hook up and do some riding. We have a pretty good group of Spyder Ryder's around here.

Picked mine up at Team Mancuso Powersports South 4525 Gulf Freeway La Marque TX 77568. Rides nice.

diesel-dawg
04-28-2013, 05:05 PM
My new 2013 RT Limited arrived at the dealership, in the crate, from manufacture on April 25, 2013. No mention to me about ball joint issues by the dealer. How will I know if I have the issue or not?

Sny
04-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Ask your dealer to check for you, or call BRP directly and give them your VIN number.

I called BRP (dealer was at Spyderfest... grr!) and they said my April 2013 STS did not need the new lower ball joints and if I was having any issues talk to the dealer to diagnose etc etc.

bullant12
04-29-2013, 09:24 AM

I posted on a similar thread about my issue with the RT-S 2013. When I picked it up from the dealer (and left my 2010 RT A&C as trade), I could tell that it was "squirmy". As Chris stated, when you could tell was going on high speeds (I noticed it at 45mph) and braking down from those speeds. My wife said she could tell something was not right when she rode it around the block saying that "turning on a circle was stiff". Because it was a Service Bulletin (not a recall, BIG difference), I had to wait a month because 1) I had to convince the SM at my dealer that it WAS a Service Bulleting across the board on the '13's, not a VIN list and 2) He had to get the proper tools to make the change. When he finally got to make the change, the SM showed me the difference between ball joints. Why would that make a difference? I am no Engineer so I have no idea...:dontknow: But the important thing is that it WORKS!!!

Again, work with your dealer. If he gives you an answer like "it is not a recall" or "the VIN needs to be listed", talk to their GM/Owner and if no progress, go to another dealer and/or call BRP. It is a fix that has to be addressed by dealers if the 2013's they've got didn't get the ball joints replaced.
I just did a 1015 mile journey this last week on Valerie and I truly believe it was the best decision I've made!:yes: