PDA

View Full Version : Sparkplugs Replacement Mileage Criteria

A1A
02-26-2013, 02:41 PM
I can't seem to find anything in writing regarding Spyder RT mileage, before the sparkplugs need replacing. Could somebody enlighten me on this subject?
I was really surprised when the Dealer replaced my plugs at 5140 mile minor sevice. The Dealer used DCPR9E plugs. When looking in my Owners Manual the plugs recommended are NGK KR8BI, what's up with that?

Thanks In Advance!

NancysToy
02-26-2013, 03:45 PM
The plug specifiaction has changed. Your dealer needs to catch up to date. The #9s may work, but they are more subject to fouling problems. The newest spec plug is hotter and is also now iridium.

Bob Denman
02-26-2013, 03:54 PM
:agree: Get in touch with BajaRon; He's got what you need! :thumbup:

boborgera
02-26-2013, 04:31 PM
The new Maintenance Schedule, Is Replace the spark plugs at 14 thousand miles. [22,500 km]

boborgera
02-26-2013, 05:00 PM
my bad for believing the book.

Not your bad, BRP Changed the book, They should have mailed you the book with the new schedule, With decals that say ''OBSOLETE'' to stick over the table in the old operators manual.

Sarge707
02-26-2013, 05:00 PM
I believe DCPR9E is the correct plug.

Your chart was right- It indicated DCPR9E in 2010 and that was changed (Lower Chart) to DCPR8E in 2011 and 2012!
The 2012 are Iridiums and I,m not changing mine Till "Hell Freezes Over?" as Stevenson told the Ruskee,s in the 60,s?:yikes:

SpyRyd
02-26-2013, 05:01 PM
The 2012 RT comes with Iridium plugs and the new maintenance schedule calls for plug replacement at 14000 miles. Seems to me these plugs should have a longer than 14k miles "life". WSY wrench techies?

A1A
02-26-2013, 05:28 PM
The plug specifiaction has changed. Your dealer needs to catch up to date. The #9s may work, but they are more subject to fouling problems. The newest spec plug is hotter and is also now iridium.

I'm peeved at my Dealer right now. I can't understand why they replaced my plugs at the 5,140 miles sevice and also used a colder plug.

Bob Denman
02-26-2013, 05:51 PM
I think even with the new miracle iridium the only way to determine when a plug needs to be changed is by inspection.

In fact, IMHO the single best indication of how an engine is performing is found by the color & condition of the spark plugs.

:agree:

A1A,
I'd gather up some information from right in here about what is the correct plug, and go back to him and demand that he make it right! :thumbup:

Sarge707
02-26-2013, 06:07 PM
I'm peeved at my Dealer right now. I can't understand why they replaced my plugs at the 5,140 miles sevice and also used a colder plug.

I would be concerned the Dealer charged you for the Plugs and Labor and Did Not even change them?
No dealer I know would change them at 5,000 UNLESS you indicated some sort of performance or Running problem and then they would probably consult the BUDS system first to eliminate something else. IMHO

gypsy_100
02-26-2013, 06:29 PM
To sum it all up... The 2010's had the DCPR9E's and the 2011's came with 8E's which are hotter and resisted fouling better. The 2012's came with KR8BI's which are the same heat range as the 8E's but are iridium. The KR8BI's are now the specified replacement plug for all RT's. I had my 2011 8E's replaced at 16K miles and they looked like new. Perfect. I had the KR8BI's put in so I figure it'll be a really long time 'till they need replaced.

Unfortunately BRP charges just less than $20 apiece for the KR8's. Baja Ron has the aftermarket iridium version of the DCPR8E which is the DCPR8EIX and sells them for about half the price of the BRP version. Next time around I'll go that route rather than pay BRP prices. At 16K the dealer had all my plastic off for another reason so he agreed to put the KR8BI's in for almost no labor charge. I figure it was worth $20 per plug to avoid the hassle of putting them in myself.

BajaRon
02-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Something is fishy in Denmark with your maintenance.

You may have had the OEM Laser Iridium plugs in your Spyder if it is a 2012. You certainly had 8's and not 9's (9's not recommended in the RT). And why would anyone put standard plugs in a Spyder? That is just asking for an early return for a labor intensive visit to your dealership. :yikes:

And the statement made about getting charged for a spark plug change and not actually receiving one. Well, I wish this didn't happen but...

Not to mention, every time you mess with the OEM ignition wires you're asking for big trouble.

Here are the 3 NGK spark plug types available for our Spyders.

The 1st is the Standard plug which BRP used to install at the factory. These are inexpensive and relatively short lived by today's standards. DCPR8E (All RT's) and DCPR9E (RS, GS, RS-S). Don't waste your time or money on these.

The 2nd is the Laser Iridium design. To save money, a small piece of Iridium is Laser Welded to the tip of the standard metal electrode. Iridium is very hard and resists erosion which changes the gap setting as it wears. This extends the life of the plug.

The 3rd plug is the one that I sell with my Custom Ignition Wire set and the type I highly recommend. The entire center electrode is made of Iridium. These are supposed to be the highest performing and longest lasting plugs you can get from NGK.

Anytime you change your spark plugs do not forget to use Thermal Paste on the threads. This is very important. DO NOT use Anti-Seize as this compound does exactly the opposite of what is needed.

Treat your Spyder right and it will treat you right.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd365/BajaRon/Spyder/NGKPlugs_zpse25b7ca9.jpg?t=1361921143

Anakrid46
02-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Great information on the plugs for our RT's!

Something is fishy in Denmark with your maintenance.

You may have had the OEM Laser Iridium plugs in your Spyder if it is a 2012. You certainly had 8's and not 9's (9's not recommended in the RT). And why would anyone put standard plugs in a Spyder? That is just asking for an early return for a labor intensive visit to your dealership. :yikes:

And the statement made about getting charged for a spark plug change and not actually receiving one. Well, I wish this didn't happen but...

Not to mention, every time you mess with the OEM ignition wires you're asking for big trouble.

Here are the 3 NGK spark plug types available for our Spyders.

The 1st is the Standard plug which BRP used to install at the factory. These are inexpensive and relatively short lived by today's standards. DCPR8E (All RT's) and DCPR9E (RS, GS, RS-S). Don't waste your time or money on these.

The 2nd is the Laser Iridium design. To save money, a small piece of Iridium is Laser Welded to the tip of the standard metal electrode. Iridium is very hard and resists erosion which changes the gap setting as it wears. This extends the life of the plug.

The 3rd plug is the one that I sell with my Custom Ignition Wire set and the type I highly recommend. The entire center electrode is made of Iridium. These are supposed to be the highest performing and longest lasting plugs you can get from NGK.

Anytime you change your spark plugs do not forget to use Thermal Paste on the threads. This is very important. DO NOT use Anti-Seize as this compound does exactly the opposite of what is needed.

Treat your Spyder right and it will treat you right.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd365/BajaRon/Spyder/NGKPlugs_zpse25b7ca9.jpg?t=1361921143

Jeriatric
02-26-2013, 08:31 PM
my bad for believing :lecturef_smilie: the book.

:banghead: :opps: :bbq: been there - done that :dontknow:

A1A
02-28-2013, 01:38 PM
I returned to my Dealer today and talked to the sevice manager about them installing the wrong sparkplugs at 5140 miles in my 2012 RTS-SE5. He looked it up on his computer and said sorry we made a mistake. They replaced the DCPR9E's with the oem KR8BI Iridium plugs at no additional charge. That was satisfactory to me and I left the Dealer as a happy camper.

I would like to say thank you to all the Spyder Lovers out there who responded to this thread.

BajaRon
02-28-2013, 01:44 PM
I returned to my Dealer today and talked to the sevice manager about them installing the wrong sparkplugs at 5140 miles in my 2012 RTS-SE5. He looked it up on his computer and said sorry we made a mistake. They replaced the DCPR9E's with the oem KR8BI Iridium plugs at no additional charge. That was satisfactory to me and I left the Dealer as a happy camper.

I would like to say thank you to all the Spyder Lovers out there who responded to this thread.

Very Good! Excellent service! The mechanic probably looked up old information, it happens. Everyone makes honest mistakes. It's how they respond that separates the good from the bad.

You got a good one there! :thumbup:

scooterexpress
02-28-2013, 02:05 PM
when i get to spyderfest i'm having the bajaron wire and plugs put in i'll be at about 14k for mi i say close enough!

Bob Denman
02-28-2013, 02:37 PM
They replaced the DCPR9E's with the oem KR8BI Iridium plugs at no additional charge. That was satisfactory to me and I left the Dealer as a happy camper

:2thumbs: Glad to hear that they've got things under control... :thumbup: