PDA

View Full Version : Paypal or Credit Card?

DR Buck
02-25-2013, 08:44 AM
What's your preference for payment when buying online?

I've found myself favoring Paypal far more than using a credit card. In fact I get annoyed when a vendor (including the SL sponsor I just purchased from) does not accept Paypal. I usually look for other sellers that take Paypal over those that do credit cards only. I've even paid slightly more in order to use Paypal. :banghead: Unfortunately, sometime the only place to get what you want doesn't use Paypal. :yikes:

Bob Denman
02-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Whatever works out the best so that the Missus doesn't find out... :shocked:
Seriously: PayPal!

Jeriatric
02-25-2013, 08:57 AM
What's your preference for payment when buying online?

I've found myself favoring Pay pal far more than using a credit card. In fact I get annoyed when a vendor (including the SL sponsor I just purchased from) does not accept Pay pal. I usually look for other sellers that take Paypal over those that do credit cards only. I've even paid slightly more in order to use Paypal. :banghead: Unfortunately, sometime the only place to get what you want doesn't use Paypal. :yikes:

I like pay pal. It adds another layer of protection. That said, I still have the charge go to my credit card instead of a direct withdrawal from my checking account.

Once a few years back I had ordered some bicycle stuff using my credit card and shortly thereafter found that someone in Europe was buying airline tickets with my CC. Just glad I have usage alerts on my accounts. Lesson learned.

oldgoat
02-25-2013, 09:00 AM
I always use Paypal if it is offered & choose my credit card over direct deduction from a bank account within Paypal.

NancysToy
02-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Paypal is convenient, but some sellers don't care to use it and that is their prerogative. In those cases I send a postal money order. It is always your choice whether or not to buy from a seller that doesn't offer Paypal payment.

mcaccamise
02-25-2013, 09:11 AM
I prefer Pay Pal for all my transactions infact using Ebay all my buying goes through Pay pal if a vendor does not accept PayPal i check E bay for the same item its safer i wish all the site vendors had pay pal it would make buying much easyier.
Mike

thehawk
02-25-2013, 09:12 AM
i use my credit card through paypal when available ... straight credit card when not.

thehawk

Howard1941
02-25-2013, 09:16 AM
I always use PayPal if possible. I had a bad experience with trailer manufacturer a few months ago. PayPal resolved the problem quickly and I received a total refund of $2,031. It was much easier dealing with PayPal rather than the credit card company. Several individuals who sent personal checks to this same company were unable to recover any money. I am a real supporter of PayPal since this incident.

Kungfuspyder
02-25-2013, 09:22 AM
I use paypal whenever possible. i checked with several of the vendors at Spyderfest and most will take payment using paypal. I sell some stuff on eBay and use that $$$ to pay for my mods, instead of lugging around alot of cash and a credit card that will get me in trouble.

murphybrown
02-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Mostly credit card. Do not like that Paypal wants to tie my account to my checking account. Couple years ago I reached paypal's "max" and haven't used them since...see great advantages for all...but not willing to give them my bank account information. :yikes:

Kungfuspyder
02-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Mostly credit card. Do not like that Paypal wants to tie my account to my checking account. Couple years ago I reached paypal's "max" and haven't used them since...see great advantages for all...but not willing to give them my bank account information. :yikes:

It is a choice for whatever we prefer, I've linked my checking account to Paypal since 2002 and I've had 0 problems with it. I found out its usually the bank that screwed up.

crazyspyder
02-25-2013, 09:54 AM
I try to keep purchases small and only when the need to use paypal arises .@ 28% INTERREST - no way im keeping a balance . big purchases I like to use BILL ME LATER, they'll give you 6/12mo. to pay with no interrest. BUT, to each his own! cheers...:cheers:

Oldmanzues
02-25-2013, 10:00 AM
I will go out my way to avoid Pay Pal. Several very bad experiences with them.
Oldmanzues

Chupaca
02-25-2013, 10:00 AM
I will use paypal when ever available..I use it at home depot and a few other places that now also offer it at check out...:thumbup:

Captain Fin
02-25-2013, 10:25 AM
PayPal is not a friend of mine.

Cavman
02-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Amen MurphyBrown! They want my checking info. They are telling me I'm near my limit. Prefer using charge card.
Paypal got compromised many years ago when someone got charge card info on consumers. Clark Howard even says don't give them your checking info!

murphybrown
02-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Amen MurphyBrown! They want my checking info. They are telling me I'm near my limit. Prefer using charge card.
Paypal got compromised many years ago when someone got charge card info on consumers. Clark Howard even says don't give them your checking info!

Just wanted to say :thumbup: re Clark Howard and his advice :yes: Yep, NO on Paypal for that reason. I use cc all the time...have had over the years a couple charges I disputed and the system works well. I pay those cards in full every month...those interest rates make me cringe and say a very loud HELL NO..when it comes to paying usary rates!!! Sun shining.it has got to be time to wash this mudbog I call my truck...:clap:

Howard1941
02-25-2013, 12:15 PM
My PayPal account is linked to a MasterCard, not a checking account. I pay for charges each month to avoid any interest charges. Works great for me.

ataDude
02-25-2013, 12:39 PM

I agree totally. Up until a year or two ago, I maintained a small checking account at a different bank just for Paypal. However, when I moved the CD money associated with it, I also closed the checking account.

A debit against a credit card worked well with Paypal for a while. Then, they said I reached a "limit"... even though the credit card paid just fine.

After some thought, I did not feel comfortable with linking Paypal to my primary checking and closed the Payal account forever.

I do not miss them... they did not even try to talk me out of closing the account... and sleep a little better at night knowing they can't access my credit union accounts.

That's my $0.02. No change required. ;)

Sarge707
02-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Normally use PP and the Linked credit card BUT canceled the Checking account attached for good measure 2 Minutes ago. Thanks :clap:

YIRYDE
02-25-2013, 09:21 PM
I use a VCC (Virtual Credit Card) for all on line purchases including using it with Pay Pal. If you are not familiar with VCC, it's a credit card number that you generate that's good for a one time usage. This number is linked to your credit card but you don't give out your real credit card number. Some credit cards companies offer this service like Citibank and Discover. I have been using it with Citibank for about 10 years without any problems. It's the only way I shop online and over the telephone without giving out my Credit card Number.

https://www.citibank.com/us/cards/vanpromo/cmc_pop/index2.htm

Ga Blue Knight
02-25-2013, 11:14 PM
I don't use PP but got a credit card just for Internet purchases. If things go south easy to shut down.

Motorcycledave
02-26-2013, 12:44 AM
I take Pay Pal along with most all credit cards... Heck I even take CASH
but only with proper I.D
:2thumbs:

JJW SpyderRider
02-26-2013, 12:53 PM
I use a VCC (Virtual Credit Card) for all on line purchases including using it with Pay Pal. If you are not familiar with VCC, it's a credit card number that you generate that's good for a one time usage. This number is linked to your credit card but you don't give out your real credit card number. Some credit cards companies offer this service like Citibank and Discover. I have been using it with Citibank for about 10 years without any problems. It's the only way I shop online and over the telephone without giving out my Credit card Number.

https://www.citibank.com/us/cards/vanpromo/cmc_pop/index2.htm

I might have to try this. I purchased an item on Ebay from a Can-Am dealer in Kalamazoo, MI using PP in December. We got our monthly statement last night and found that someone in Detroit was charging $100 purchases at gas stations all around Detroit. They charged $1600 on that statement alone. I don't see how the two could be tied together. The CC company deleted the bogus charges and canceled that card. I need to order some more farkels this week so will look into this option. Thanks for the info!