PDA

View Full Version : Another idiot question

Rayelljay
02-24-2013, 11:59 PM
I wonder why all the handbrake kits appear to be hydraulic....is it that much cheaper than a simple cable system or am I missing something...?

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-25-2013, 12:14 AM
I wonder why all the handbrake kits appear to be hydraulic....is it that much cheaper than a simple cable system or am I missing something...?

Maybe I'm missing something also but ......since the Spyder has a hydraulic braking system I'm not sure you add a handbrake with a cable system ,simple or not :dontknow: ...:gaah:....Mike :thumbup:

WackyDan
02-25-2013, 01:03 AM

Safer - more reliable than a cable brake.

Ga Blue Knight
02-25-2013, 01:05 AM
A hydrolic brake system is the most simplistic way to run effort from the hand lever to the area of the foot lever to activate the braking system without adding undue effort. If you used a cable every bend would add friction and the cumulatative effect would add a lot of of it. Also a hydrolic system is easier to balence out effort and actuation between hand lever and two front and one rear brake.

Chupaca
02-25-2013, 02:59 AM
I'm confused..are you referring to a cable operated disk brake system like mountain bikes have..? Cause logic should tell you its a bit harder to stop these spyders that a 20lb bicycle. Possibly they could come up with the leverage needed but not as simply as hydraulic. Must be the reason it is used so universally IMHO...:dontknow:

ThreeWheels
02-25-2013, 05:40 AM
I'm confused..are you referring to a cable operated disk brake system like mountain bikes have..? Cause logic should tell you its a bit harder to stop these spyders that a 20lb bicycle. Possibly they could come up with the leverage needed but not as simply as hydraulic. Must be the reason it is used so universally IMHO...:dontknow:

I think you're missing some information.
The handbrake systems do not operate the brake calipers directly, either through hydraulic or direct cables.

The handbrakes include some linkage or slave cylinder to the foot brake so that the hand brake is an alternate means of actuating the foot brake.

The brake mechanisms on the Spyder include the VSS and are too sophisticated to hack into directly.

Bob Denman
02-25-2013, 08:30 AM
:agree: You're always going to have to tip-toe around the OEM, computer-linked systems.
Cables can do funky things if they're not properly lubed, if water gets down in them, if they're not properly run, if... :shocked:

NancysToy
02-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Early on there were a few home-brewed cable operated mods and even a few hydraulic versions that were tried. None was perfect, or really provided sufficient power to rely upon. After the ISCI hydraulic unit came out, these Rube Goldberg brakes fortunately disappeared. Better safe than sorry. How much is your life worth?

Rayelljay
02-25-2013, 09:36 AM
OK....I got it...a much better mechanical advantage and tidier to run.....many thanks.

mick ruhdorf
03-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Hi all a simple cable front brake can be used ask LA monster he did it i have all he parts to do it and at 190 bucks its about 1 fith the price of the hydralic ones .
cheers :doorag: mick

Bob Denman
03-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Mick,
I'm sure that you can build a real beauty. :thumbup:
But sometimes the product that you buy from a known reliable vendor has been tested, re-tested, and then tested some more... All in the name of product liability. :shocked:
Reputable firms know that they live and die by their reputations; they'll sort a product out before pitching it out here for us.
So; how much is knowing that the product has a company standing behind it worth to you?

CDNSpyder
03-03-2013, 08:28 PM
The reason for the hydraulic braking system is safety related. A cable system would never get gov't approval for street use.

Bob Denman
03-03-2013, 08:42 PM
:shocked: I didn't know that... Thanks! :thumbup: