PDA

View Full Version : Does the brand of gas really matter?

bhfromme
02-24-2013, 11:22 PM
I'm throwing this out there to hopefully learn whether or not all all gas is created equal. I read here that Sunoco is good so I try to stick with that. What about Hess? Can people weigh in on what's good and what's not?

Chupaca
02-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Wait I'm sure someone has tech data on the subject. I find all gas has to meet the same standards and at the price now-a-days I have to find the best price on the high octane I can find. This way I can continue ryding..:dontknow:

NancysToy
02-24-2013, 11:50 PM
It can. Off-brand quality can vary and it can have fewer additives or more ethanol. Gas from smaller, less used stations can be stale, or even contaminated. I prefer the brand name stations when I can get them. JMHO

Bandit
02-25-2013, 12:03 AM
We stop at Murphy all the time! You don't travel in ANY direction over 100 miles without seeing a Wal-Mart/Murphy! If you have a Wal-Mart CC
you get a better discount. :doorag:

Ga Blue Knight
02-25-2013, 01:11 AM
There's better by price and there's better by quality and there's better by per cent of ethanol

BMW, VW and other pricey car makers here in the Sunny Southland recommend Shell Premium for their vehicles.

I run any name brand premium in my RT with CRC ethanol/stabilizer additive and she does just fine with around 33-35 mpg solo and 27-29 mpg with my petite wife aboard.

n7wol
02-25-2013, 02:25 AM
I try to use 76 or other non ethynol fuel with the most octane they have.
http://puregas.org is a good sorce for finding non ethynol fuel
Conocal-Phillips has been fighting putting in ethynol in there fuel but check it depends which refinery the dist. picks up the feul from

Kungfuspyder
02-25-2013, 05:58 AM
Most fuels are equal, I've been working for a fuel distributor for 23 years now and load all types and all brands of fuel. Mainly depends on where you get your fuel, what is a trusted place and brand. Most gasolines have 10% ethanol in it. Ethanol will absorb water in it. Avoid older run down stations. A lot of the older tanks are large any where from 6,000 to 20,000 gallons, if tanks are not kept full they will create moisture inside of them. Most small(mom & pops) stores cannot buy large quantities like the chain stores and they have to charge a higher price because they only get 1000 gallons at a time compared to a chain store like Walmart that gets 8000 gallons a day. Name brands like Chevron, citgo, shell, texaco, use additives in their gasolines, the higher the octane, the more additives are added. Techron is a good additive. Amoco is the only gasoline company that makes their gasolines from waste chemicals, it is very pure and clean. The best was non-ethanol fuels. I mainly buy this when I can find it for my Spyder. It is higher in price, the taxes are higher than ethanol based fuels. We pay an average of 40 to 60 cents in taxes on fuels depends on local taxes too. I can go on and on as you can see, but I won't. Their is a lot of non-ethanol fuel stations in northern Arkansas when we go to Spyderfest. Got to go and make my living hauling fuel this morning, have a blessed day.

Jeriatric
02-25-2013, 06:00 AM
Always fill with the highest octane and lowest ethanol rating available.

The majors boost their price because of their additives. So, just drive in with your hands up and pay the piper.

When forced to fill at a non major. I carry and add my own additive.

bhfromme
02-25-2013, 07:59 AM
Thanks for all the great replies. Spyderlovers is a great resource for information. You guys really are the best.

scooterexpress
02-25-2013, 08:30 AM
i've got friend that works on the gas line at a depot all gas coming into the storage tanks is the same even the mom/pop stores..its the company that adds the extra additives.so it's very possible that even a mom/pop store could buy from shell etc.....if they wanted to sell fuel with more additives..

Bob Denman
02-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Did somebody mention "Off-Brands"? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_12.gif

Jeriatric
02-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Did somebody mention "Off-Brands"? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_12.gif

Bob. This additives for you :roflblack:

spyderrock
02-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Here in Alberta we really have only 3 major brands of fuel, Shell, Esso, and Petro Canada. We have a few smaller companies but these are the big guys. I have been using Petro Canada's high octane 91t, it is quite expensive but I think performance wise its worth the money. I also use this in my Dodge ram Hemi and there is a huge difference in millage out on the hiway's. Just a reminder don't ever fill your Spyder or truck, car up while there is a transport truck at the station delivering fuel, you will regret it. The weight of the fuel coming off the truck turns up all the water and other contaminants in the under ground tanks:banghead::banghead:.

Bob Denman
02-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Bob. This additives for you :roflblack:

Thanks! But with the snacks from yesterday's race; it wouldn't be a fair fight! :roflblack: Oops! :shocked:

SPYD3R
02-25-2013, 09:11 AM
all gasoline is produced using a Federal Octane Rating...
whether you purchase name brands or off brands, the rating is controlled.
with that said, name brands do things other than just burn, some burn cleaner because of additives. so i stick with the brand names.
as for SONOCO... very good fuel... but i've got to wonder about their pricing policy. SONOCO is one of the only companies that is TOTALLY HOME GROWN... they buy NO petroleum products for overseas (@ least that was the case just 5 yrs ago)... yet their price is usually a few pennys higher than the others... in my book, the fact that they aren't paying transportation fees to get it across oceans, it should be a few cents less... as for CITGO, i NEVER buy it... i'd rather find myself on the side of the road, in the rain, at night, in Detroit, with BUSH FOR PRESIDENT bumper stickers all over my SPYD3R....

Kungfuspyder
02-25-2013, 09:26 AM

So Bob, your saying that your Spyder runs off of Methanol fuel. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
02-25-2013, 10:24 AM
:opps: Well... No; but I sure do! :roflblack::roflblack:

shelbydave
02-25-2013, 10:26 AM
I try to stay with the 3 majors offered around here... Shell, BP, or Exxon. I also recently heard or read... can't remember where though, that it was recommended to stay with the same brand for any certain vehicle, as the additives may not play well together if mixed, and can cause fuel system problems...

Bob Denman
02-25-2013, 10:27 AM
I use Mobil, Citgo or Valero in my journeys... So far; so good! :thumbup:

Arr MiHardies
02-25-2013, 10:40 AM
In my trip to SITR my worse milage came from Valero gas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MouthPiece
02-25-2013, 11:25 AM
all gasoline is produced using a Federal Octane Rating...
whether you purchase name brands or off brands, the rating is controlled.
with that said, name brands do things other than just burn, some burn cleaner because of additives. so i stick with the brand names.
as for SONOCO... very good fuel... but i've got to wonder about their pricing policy. SONOCO is one of the only companies that is TOTALLY HOME GROWN... they buy NO petroleum products for overseas (@ least that was the case just 5 yrs ago)... yet their price is usually a few pennys higher than the others... in my book, the fact that they aren't paying transportation fees to get it across oceans, it should be a few cents less... as for CITGO, i NEVER buy it... i'd rather find myself on the side of the road, in the rain, at night, in Detroit, with BUSH FOR PRESIDENT bumper stickers all over my SPYD3R....

Thanks for putting a big smile on my face.

Chris

boborgera
02-25-2013, 12:08 PM
When i need gas i just stop at any gas station and get it regardless of the brand, You guys are putting too much thought into this. :ohyea:

Jharpo
02-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Yes, I believe it really matters. A couple years ago 7-11 Stores here in Florida changed from selling Citgo to their own brand. I was not aware of the change and filled my Misubishi Spyder GT convertible . Within one hour my car started missing and sputtering and the check engine light came on. The first thing the mechanic asked was what brand of fuel I was using. He said not only are the additives different but just as importantly, the filtering systems can be suspect. This happened to me in my RX7 too. I was going to visit a friend in the hospital and I stopped at Hess for gas. Before I got to the hospital, both of my fuel filters were stopped up with what looked like mud. I use premium grade Shell, Sunoco, Mobil, or Citgo in both my Spyder and Suburu WRX if at all possible.

SPYD3R
02-25-2013, 12:34 PM
When i need gas i just stop at any gas station and get it regardless of the brand, You guys are putting too much thought into this. :ohyea:

:thumbup:

steve635
02-25-2013, 12:38 PM
I use non-ethanol,(luckily 2 of the 3 closest stations to me are non-ethanol) premium. I find the mileage on both my Spyder and my truck is better (while difference is not dramatic, it is consistent) with non-ethanol and the price for non-ethanol is exactly the same as the ethanol added station across the street. I started using non ethanol in my boat, as it was stable for longer periods and did not attract water and particularly since it's convenient, I've stuck with it.

ARtraveler
02-25-2013, 04:06 PM
There are only a couple refineries in AK. All the brands come from these. I am guessing the only branding comes from the names on the different trucks that load up. Here, I notice it is independents that deliver to all the stations. The same truck will come into Eagle River, and make deliveries at Carr's and FredMeyers, Shell, Chevron, and Tesoro. Whether or not we are getting the "Techron" at Chevron or Shell depends on if they dump it in the tank or not. I am guessing, the case is similar elsewhere also.