PDA

View Full Version : Evap. canister vent.

wrbrown
02-23-2013, 11:27 PM
I have 2009 GS and recently received the recall on the fuel cap. I also thought that the evaporative canister vent hose was also recalled, but I have not been notified.
The newer models have the hose extended and I wondering if I could just join up to the "U" shaped hose and extend it out the bottom . Does anyone see any problem with just doing it that way ?

NoJive
02-23-2013, 11:40 PM
That's the way I did mine. I did get the recall notice, so it may not be a bad idea to have my dealer look at it, otherwise, I suppose it will show up in BUDS as not being done.

I have 2009 GS and recently received the recall on the fuel cap. I also thought that the evaporative canister vent hose was also recalled, but I have not been notified.
The newer models have the hose extended and I wondering if I could just join up to the "U" shaped hose and extend it out the bottom . Does anyone see any problem with just doing it that way ?

oldgoat
02-24-2013, 10:11 AM

Would you lead it straight down or use a longer piece of hose & lead it somewhere out the back away from the exhaust?

I need to extend mine on my '08 GS.

NancysToy
02-24-2013, 11:14 AM
The factory fix leads it straight down, exiting through an existing hole in the splash pan, if I remember correctly. Owners of Spyders with the short vent hose should understand that their machines are subject to the recall, whether they have received notice or not. Dealers should replace their canister vents with no questions asked.

oldgoat
02-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Thank you.

wrbrown
03-01-2013, 08:50 PM
I just got off the phone with the BRP people and asked about the vent line recall. I told them that I had received the new gas cap but not the notice regarding the short vent hose and when I gave them my VIN # they told me my machine was not one affected. I stated that the recall is for longer hoses on the 2008 and 2009 GS and that the newer models also have longer hoses. I asked why but he said he did not know the technical reasons.
I have looked at the parts diagrams for all the models and there does not seem to be any different components shown except for the longer hoses on the newer models.
I am at a loss as to why a longer hose is required on 2008 and some 2009's and it is on the newer models but not on some 2009's.
Does anyone have ANY IDEA for this reasoning ????
:dontknow::dontknow: (At any rate I'm just going to extend mine.)