PDA

View Full Version : NEED A FOOT SHIFT BUTTON

09RAM3500
02-23-2013, 02:10 PM
I am a Left AboveElbow Amp.
Have a question.I am looking in to getting a 2012 RTS. What I was wondering is, if I couldrelocate the paddle shifter or add another switch, that I could bump with myfoot. For the electric shift. I didn't know if this would be possibleelectronically with all the many different sensors and modules on the bike. Iknow the bike will down shift on its own. So maybe just some type of momentarybutton switch added inline with the factory switch, something by the left foot peg. Maybe on the lower side pannel. If anyone has anytechnical info or know someone with this type of knowledge. I would love tohear from you or them. THANKS

MMcc
02-23-2013, 03:36 PM
A friend of mine had a similar issue with the Outlander ATV from BRP. His dealer just moved everything to the left side. The reverse button could be the most complicated part as both shift paddle and reverse button must be activated to back up so you might need an additional switch to accomplish this.

09RAM3500
02-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks, I have a Can-Am renegade 800 everything I need isalready on the right side. (Brake lever and throttle)

I can manage the reverse button situation pretty good. (JUST BACKING UP IN APARKING LOT.) I just would like to know if I can add some type of
momentary switch that I can tap with my foot. I don't want to go and spice insomewhere and fry something somewhere else. In other words, I've kind of got mymind made up on what I want to do. I just don't know if I can do it withoutcreating another problems. That's why I was looking for someone that may havesome knowledge on DO'S and DON'TS. When it comes to messing around with thepaddle shifter. THANKS and Still welcoming more comments.

NancysToy
02-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Unfortunately, the shifter and many other functions on the Spyder are handled by way of digital switches or signals, and the CANBus system. In other words theyt are electronic instead of electrical. That makes merely substituting another switch pretty difficult. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it is way above my pay grade. I wish you luck in finding a solution. I think it would be easier to utilize a manual shift and find another way to work the clutch. JMHO

09RAM3500
02-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Nancystoy I think that your right. I knew the bike was full of electronics. I also know that there is a wide selection of aftermarket centrifugal clutches. BUT if there is a way to use or relocate a switch would prefer to do that. Still Looking

Bob Denman
02-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Question: Could you fashion some sort of foot-operated, push/pull cabling that could mechanically move and activate the shift paddles? :dontknow:

Oh! :welcome:

asp125
02-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Thinking out loud. On my paddle shifting car, I know it will upshift at red line if I don't upshift manually. Does the SE upshift on its own? If you don't manually upshift I'm thinking at some RPM it will do so automatically to save the motor. Maybe the SE owners can verify. If so, then the shifts points are pre-programmed, and there might be some way to re-program the transmission to do so at more reasonable revs.

Some Guy
02-26-2013, 01:54 PM
There is a woman on this site with a GS that she had converted to a foot shifter. It looks like the brake pedal, but on the left side. I met her at SpyderFest a couple years ago. I can't remember her name, but SpyderAnn01 knows who she is.

SpyderAnn01
02-26-2013, 02:01 PM
There is a woman on this site with a GS that she had converted to a foot shifter. It looks like the brake pedal, but on the left side. I met her at SpyderFest a couple years ago. I can't remember her name, but SpyderAnn01 knows who she is.

Mike she only has her left arm so she added a left footed gas pedal. She had the work done at a company that does handicap auto conversions .

Some Guy
02-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Mike she only has her left arm so she added a left footed gas pedal. She had the work done at a company that does handicap auto conversions .

DUH! I knew that...my old brain is not hitting on all cylinders! :gaah:

Bob Denman
02-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Thinking out loud. On my paddle shifting car, I know it will upshift at red line if I don't upshift manually. Does the SE upshift on its own? If you don't manually upshift I'm thinking at some RPM it will do so automatically to save the motor. Maybe the SE owners can verify. If so, then the shifts points are pre-programmed, and there might be some way to re-program the transmission to do so at more reasonable revs.

They don't automatically upshift; you'll just come up against the rev limiter and... :shocked:

asp125
02-26-2013, 03:40 PM
They don't automatically upshift; you'll just come up against the rev limiter and... :shocked:

... and ... BOOM, followed by horrible mechanical noises?? :shocked:

09RAM3500
02-26-2013, 05:18 PM

Ok then. Will scratch off adjusting shift points. LOL

09RAM3500
02-26-2013, 05:26 PM
A push pull cable was mentioned on another forum. And I'm defiantly entertaining that ideal.
I think that type of system would keep me out of the Electronics. Just have to work on form and function.
ThanksGuys

Bob Denman
02-26-2013, 07:20 PM
No... the power just kind of tails off; leaving you wanting for more! :thumbup:

So... no KaBoom! :yikes:

eddieshep999
02-27-2013, 08:00 AM
In the UK We have the National Association for Bikers with a Disability - NABD

You could try a post on the Forum although not many Spyders have been sold in the UK yet
There are experts in adaptions which may point you in the right direction

See this Link
http://www.nabd.org.uk/

Hope you can find a solution