PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs & wires

Captain Fin
02-23-2013, 06:58 AM
Anyone know what panels I need to remove to change spark plug wires and plugs. I have a 2011 RTS.
Thanks

MouthPiece
02-23-2013, 08:05 AM
Good luck!!!!

Chris

ThreeWheels
02-23-2013, 08:37 AM
If I'm not mistaken, in order to change the spark plugs and wires you need to remove all the body panels, remove the radiator and air box, take the engine out and let all the air out of the tires in order to get access.

No seriously, it's a daunting project. Some here have done it, but it was too much for me.

I had my dealer replace the plugs and wires with the BajaRon set. The OEM wires are just so awful and replacing them is so difficult, you want to do it ONCE, and then never worry about the wires and plugs again.

Captain Fin
02-23-2013, 08:46 AM
If I'm not mistaken, in order to change the spark plugs and wires you need to remove all the body panels, remove the radiator and air box, take the engine out and let all the air out of the tires in order to get access.

No seriously, it's a daunting project. Some here have done it, but it was too much for me.

I had my dealer replace the plugs and wires with the BajaRon set. The OEM wires are just so awful and replacing them is so difficult, you want to do it ONCE, and then never worry about the wires and plugs again.
Mabe I should Hang it up side down to start?

MouthPiece
02-23-2013, 09:22 AM

I was gonna ask if you were related to Roger.

Chris

CSW61
02-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Took my wifes 2010 RT to Cowtown, best money I have spent lately. I also had them put on BajaRon wires and plugs.

Captain Fin
02-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Took my wifes 2010 RT to Cowtown, best money I have spent lately. I also had them put on BajaRon wires and plugs.
How far is Cow Town from Key Largo? Is it cold out there?

Captain Fin
02-23-2013, 11:06 AM
I was gonna ask if you were related to Roger.

Chris

Roger is still in training. Don't believe a word he says.;):roflblack:

Bob Denman
02-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Why not throw a PM to BajaRon; I'm pretty sure that he'd help out in whatever way it was possible! :thumbup:

Dragonrider
02-23-2013, 12:20 PM
You need to remove everything in front of the bags… I had a dealer do the job, and they removed the entire front end of the bike for the front plug - everything else is easy….

Bob Denman
02-23-2013, 12:42 PM
That sounds a little bit like stripping naked at the dentist to get your teeth cleaned... :shocked:

ThreeWheels
02-23-2013, 01:12 PM
That sounds a little bit like stripping naked at the dentist to get your teeth cleaned... :shocked:
Your comment may seem like an exaggeration, but it's closer to the truth than you may believe.

The Spyder is clearly not designed with the idea of allowing for easy access for routine maintenance.
Remember how difficult it was to simply change the oil until the new access panel was installed.

MouthPiece
02-23-2013, 01:47 PM

In my case it would be tooth. :yikes:

Chris

Sarge707
02-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Lucky for Many is the Fact they In stall Iridiums Stock on the 2012 RT,s so as Long as the wires last, you shouldn,t have to change plugs till about 25,000 Miles or more?:pray:

Rotaxer
02-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Here is a video, watch it and you be the judge, not easy but also not impossible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VtcqXjtt57E#!

Sarge707
02-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Here is a video, watch it and you be the judge, not easy but also not impossible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VtcqXjtt57E#!

The RS is Just taking off the airbox- Which you can do in about an hour? The RT, I Understand is much more complicated!!!nojoke

Bob Denman
02-23-2013, 06:21 PM
In my case it would be tooth. :yikes:

Chris

I think that you've got some cousins living up here in my neck of the woods! :roflblack: :joke:

Dragonrider
02-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Designed to be a profit center for the shop…..

BajaRon
02-23-2013, 07:32 PM
Any maintenance job difficulty factor is directly related to your skill level, tools and time available. Because these vary so much it really comes down to the individuals confidence level as to whether or not they want to try it.

Changing wires and plugs on the RS, GS, RS-S is somewhat easier than on the RT.

There is more than one way to approach this job but I prefer to strip the Spyder to a point where I can see what I'm doing. This helps me verify that when I put it all back together it will work as intended.

You do not have to remove the air box which saves you more time on the RT than it does on the RS. You do have to remove the bolts that attach it to the throttle bodies so you can move it around.

If you have a moderate amount of mechanical ability and a fair amount of time you can probably get it done. It isn't a lot of fun but it's not all that bad either. Knowing you are installing components that will last a long time helps to make it a worthwhile endeavor.

RAYYOU
02-23-2013, 08:31 PM
I have done two ways. One from the right hand side with the nose off and from the left side over the top off of the cylinder. The over the top route was faster with the right combination of extensions and wigglers. Keep in mind both methods bring out more than a few choice words. Thankfully using Ron's upgraded parts you won't have to do it as often, unless you are a sucker like me and willing to help others with the task.

Captain Fin
02-24-2013, 06:30 AM
I would like to do myself. Thanks for the great advice.

AbNormy
02-24-2013, 06:55 AM
Thanks for good info guys. Takin mine in for 14K svc next week wonder how much dealer will want to wrap exh headers while hes got everything off? Hopin thatll cool things down slow fuel boiling. Got Rons wires plugs & some silver exh wrap off Amazons recommend ed here. Paid for Pit Pass so all that should be covered but still got that pesky fuel smell.:banghead:

From Deep in the Hart of Texas!