PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs and Wires from Bajaron are in!

Tierhog
02-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Well.. I took it casual and the plugs and wires werent difficult. The oem plug wires were a PITA to remove though. The old plugs were the original 2008s with 11.5k on em and looked pretty well fried. Cant tell if im running too rich though... As I ride all year, I find myself trimming up some in the winter.. But in California it varies from 30F to 70F making it difficult to get the fuel just right. I still have to zip tie and throw the coffin in... But overall pretty simple. Thanks Ron for the instructions and extras... :)

NancysToy
02-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Why are you saying the plugs look fried? They look a bit too rich to me, not lean or fried.

Tierhog
02-23-2013, 01:04 AM
Poor choice of words. Ill dial back the JB. Initially I increased the fuel because of the occasional cool weather sputter. Based on the condition of the wires, that may have been the wrong move. Additionally, I didnt plug chop due to the tupperware so last 5m was city traffic. Im going to baseline the JB with 0 dials and the PC5 tune and see how she runs.

Removing the bottom portion of the coffin really made this easy. Id highly recommend that approach for changing the plugs. Very accessible. Thanks for the plug comment.. :)

MikeinGA
02-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Poor choice of words. Ill dial back the JB. Initially I increased the fuel because of the occasional cool weather sputter. Based on the condition of the wires, that may have been the wrong move. Additionally, I didnt plug chop due to the tupperware so last 5m was city traffic. Im going to baseline the JB with 0 dials and the PC5 tune and see how she runs.

Removing the bottom portion of the coffin really made this easy. Id highly recommend that approach for changing the plugs. Very accessible. Thanks for the plug comment.. :)

Check your air filter, my paper air filter was coated with oil. I installed a K&N air filter and after 5,000 miles checked the rear plug and it was a perfect color.

Mike

BajaRon
02-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Not that it matters but I agree with Scotty. Plugs look ok except for being too rich. But as you said, you're only going to get a read for the last few minutes of engine time.

I remember in the old days running as hard as I could and shutting the engine down to get an accurate read on how the mix was under load.

The new wires and Iridium plugs will give you a better burn but still will not overcome a too rich mix.

Good job on the wire install! People are always asking me how hard it is. I think it is more time/labor intensive than actually difficult.

Tierhog
02-23-2013, 08:43 PM
Provided you take off the entire airbox assembly, its easy. KN filter is clean and brand new. I set dials to zero instead of plus 1 plus 1. Im hoping that will lean mixture enough that Pc5 map is sufficient. Bike much smoother and feels real good. No stuttering at the moment :)

Tierhog
02-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Check your air filter, my paper air filter was coated with oil. I installed a K&N air filter and after 5,000 miles checked the rear plug and it was a perfect color.

Mike

JB pro? Settings? Aftermarket pipe?

fjcady
02-28-2013, 09:15 AM
good job it was very informative when I cam over to see a naked spyder lol:yes: thanks steve

fjcady
02-28-2013, 09:17 AM
I have my plugs on order right now:clap::doorag::yes:

SPYD1
02-28-2013, 09:23 AM
I probably have a month or so left before the bike can come out of hibernation before I do mine...

Tierhog
02-28-2013, 10:43 AM
If ya need help, PM me....FJ you know my garage is always open for ya!

Chupaca
02-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks, good info for when it's time to make the change..:thumbup: