PDA

View Full Version : BEST warranty again

Tx web rider
02-22-2013, 04:47 PM
why is it BRP does not honor their warranty when you have no modifications to the motor and stock air box and filter and stock silencer use their oil and filters on their recommended skedual

my 09 spyder developed a case of puking oil a couple weeks ago through the crank case vent tube had almost a qt inside the box

no it was not over filled !

after it went to the dealer they did some basic leak detecting and after discussing with the mechanic he dug deeper to figure where the oil was coming from
after a compression check the forward cylinder is at 95 psi and rear is at 205 both should be over 200

they tore intoi the cylinder to discover the rings are fused to the piston and the sleeve is scarred badly

now BRP is saying this is not a covered item

how can using their products on their time frame with a totally stock motor cause a fault like this that they are going to say is my FAULT and not warranty

what the hell good is the BEST warranty then

ARtraveler
02-22-2013, 04:50 PM
We will be watching the situation and are interested in how your problem will be solved.

Your question about the warranty is a good one. :bbq::bbq:

MMMII
02-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Even if you have mods, don't they have to definitively demonstrate that the mod caused the issue?

Tx web rider
02-22-2013, 04:53 PM
forgot to mention RS 2009 se5 41800 miles

arntufun
02-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Are pistons and rings concidered a wear item ????? Read the fine print of your warranty to be sure. My warranty info spells out everything that is covered and not covered. I'm not sure what BEST does.

Sorry your engine blew. :(

Tx web rider
02-22-2013, 08:16 PM
ok i dont have a copy to read so ill talk your word on that

but who is to say there is not a malfunctioning part causing this issue

this bike was running 70 down the highway then started belching oil and i drove it home 40 miles due to no other avenue to get it there (stopped 2 times to add oil )

granted a wear item but an instant failure like what im seeing i don't buy its the rings alone

Jeriatric
02-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Are pistons and rings concidered a wear item ????? Read the fine print of your warranty to be sure. My warranty info spells out everything that is covered and not covered. I'm not sure what BEST does.

Sorry your engine blew. :(

BEST

ENGINE:
• Pistons• Cylinder heads• Cylinders• Muffler• Crankshaft

So much depends on how the dealer presented it to BRP, as well as what his (the users) max RPM numbers look like. Could be that a ring broke. Could be that something else let go first. Sounds like the owner needs to get together with the dealer and find out how they presented it to BRP. Then if he's still not happy he should ask BRP why they came to the conclusion that the repair will be on his dime.

Just a simple mans opinion.;)

jScotD
02-22-2013, 09:43 PM

Tx web rider
02-22-2013, 10:18 PM
interesting i looked on line under best warranty and found this

http://www.spyder.brp.com/Files/en-US/Pdf/BEST_Protection.pdf

at the bottom of the whats listed there

Parts, parts and more parts
Ride as much as you like without worrying about

ENGINE:
• Pistons
• Cylinder heads
• Cylinders
• Muffler
• Crankshaft
TRANSMISSION/
PROPULSION:
• Drive shaft
• Jet pump
• Riding plate
• Venturi
• Transmission
BRAKES:
• Callipers
• Master cylinder
• ABS
• Speed sensors
IGNITION & STARTER:
• Rewind starter
• Starter relay
• Starter drive
• Stator
• Magneto
• Electric starter
SUSPENSION &
DRIVE SYSTEM:
• Differential
• Drive shaft
• CV joints
• Drive axle
• Countershaft
• Chaincase
ELECTRICAL:
• Ignition switch
• Voltage regulator
• Electronic modules
• Speedometer/
Tachometer
• Vehicle stability
system
FUEL SYSTEM:
• Fuel tank
• Fuel injector
• Fuel pump
• Carburetor
• Throttle body

the only thing i see thats not covered is in this little statement

Note: accessories, normal wear and maintenance items such as tires,
batteries, bulbs, filters and lubricants are not covered

in this document it sure looks like the cylinder ,piston and heads are covered

i might be picking threads apart but its my disabled vet ass on disability income that's on the line to cover what they say is not covered

Jeriatric
02-22-2013, 10:24 PM
FWIW - If you know where your BEST contract is? Take the time to read all the fine print. You may need a magnifying glass and the assitance of a New York attorney but it's worth a SLOW and comprehensive read.

Tx web rider
02-22-2013, 10:56 PM
since i purchased my spyder second hand and the previous owner left the warranty on it and had it transferred into my name i have no contract to read

arntufun
02-22-2013, 11:00 PM
FWIW - If you know where your BEST contract is? Take the time to read all the fine print. You may need a magnifying glass and the assitance of a New York attorney but it's worth a SLOW and comprehensive read.

All BRP has to say is the ring is a normal wear item which took out the piston which took out the cylinder wall and he is up the creek. It looks like BRP left out rings with their engine coverage breakdown.

I understand this posters frustration and these Best warranty problems seem to pop up about 1-2 times a month here.

I also understand where the dealer is coming from not wanting to cover it. My tech told me that BEST warranty does not pay them full price for warranty work. I'm not sure how true that is, but it would explain alot of the reasons the dealers won't push to get thing covered.

Jeriatric
02-22-2013, 11:05 PM
since i purchased my spyder second hand and the previous owner left the warranty on it and had it transferred into my name i have no contract to read

Your dealer should have contracts. Ask him for one.

All he has to do is mark it VOID...SAMPLE ONLY.

Jeriatric
02-22-2013, 11:15 PM
All BRP has to say is the ring is a normal wear item which took out the piston which took out the cylinder wall and he is up the creek. It looks like BRP left out rings with their engine coverage breakdown.

I understand this posters frustration and these Best warranty problems seem to pop up about 1-2 times a month here.

I also understand where the dealer is coming from not wanting to cover it. My tech told me that BEST warranty does not pay them full price for warranty work. I'm not sure how true that is, but it would explain alot of the reasons the dealers won't push to get thing covered.

Another example of too little information (both sides of the story) to reach a quantifiable conclusion.

Tx web rider
02-23-2013, 08:09 PM
would love to go pop in on a dealer to get a copy wow the closest was 145 miles away its was shut down now my next closest is 175 miles away

Deanna777
02-24-2013, 04:21 PM
would love to go pop in on a dealer to get a copy wow the closest was 145 miles away its was shut down now my next closest is 175 miles awayI bought a 2012 RT-S SE5 :spyder2:( in July) thru a dealer, ( in Vermont ) and got the 4 year warranty,and the"BEST Warranty". I did not see a phone # on the flyer to call if i needed to call,( if i broke down etc. ) So I asked the dealer for the Phone # for the "BEST Warranty" The dealer gave me the phone #....... Deanna777:ohyea:

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-26-2013, 12:51 AM

Playing devil's advocate here.....At what Mileage does BRP recommend you to change your RINGS ????....just ask-in...Mike :thumbup:

Tx web rider
03-09-2013, 12:45 AM
i spoke to the mechanic at F & T valley motorsports in Pharr TX a couple days ago and BRP finally made their decision on the destruction of the front jug on my 09 rs

BRP will pay for the parts and labor for the fix of my bike

not sure yet if its a full fix on their dime or not but its a great leap forward

Thank you BRP

mechanic said they should have the parts in next week and start re assembly

i might make spyderfest after all :pray:

Chupaca
03-09-2013, 02:04 AM
Glad they came through for you. Seems like forever but you'll be back on the road again..:clap::thumbup:

docdoru
03-09-2013, 05:15 AM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSCN0448.jpg?t=1309262959

Tx web rider
03-09-2013, 09:23 AM
that is one ugly piston doc

kentuckyguy
03-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Sounds like BRP is like the Social Security Administration.. They think if they put you off long enough you will just give up....

SpyderAnn01
03-09-2013, 11:11 AM
That's good news.