PDA

View Full Version : Changing pre load on front shocks

barb36jack31
04-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Have attempted to change front shock pre load with no success. Have lubed the ramps and used the wrench from the tool kit, but no joy. The handle seems too short to have the needed leverage. Any suggestions?

Jack H.

Danimal
04-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Do you have the Spyder raised up in a lift?

Can you slip a pipe over the BRP tool to get the extra leverage?

Buelldog
04-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Go to the other Spyder Web Site and look at the recent post "front shock adjustment".......I had the same problem .
Just a suggestion......double check your final settings making sure they are both in the same notch on the A to B notch scale>

Rotaxrocket
04-12-2008, 08:13 PM
I changed my pre-load on the front and rear. I like my suspension a little stiffer and I was pulling my trailer. I jacked up the front end of my Spyder to take off the most pressure on the adjustments. I used an adjustable strap wrench, which does an ample job without scratching the surface. :doorag:

trikester
04-12-2008, 10:59 PM
I did mine today by using a pipe on the supplied spanner handle. The pipe was only about a foot long.

I weigh 240 so I set the front shocks at max preload. I don't know if I will change the rear yet.

kma10-4
04-13-2008, 01:17 AM
idid mine with spanner supplied with no pipe ,did jack up front to take load off first...
have noticed now when riding twisties hard the inside tire lifts off the ground
a LOT easier.than before. :bigthumbsup:

barb36jack31
04-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Extended the handle length of the adjusting wrench and got it done. Physics 101 rules!

Jack H.

barb36jack31
04-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Rode the Spyder with the pre-load up one notch. Huge difference in the way it handles. Much flatter in the turns and very stable. Love this machine!

Jack H.

matusky
05-12-2008, 06:38 PM
I think I'm going to stiffen mine up too....... does it make sense to bump all of them up one notch? is there any benefit to having it a little softer on one than the other??

Also...... any suggestions on changing the setting on the rear?? I just looked at it and I have NO IDEA how the hell I'm going to get the wrench in there! ::)

SpyderMark
05-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Also...... any suggestions on changing the setting on the rear?? I just looked at it and I have NO IDEA how the hell I'm going to get the wrench in there! ::)

Check page 21 in the Operator's Guide; there is a good picture showing the proper procedure. You'll use a 3/8" ratchet with a long extension inserted from the bottom. If you follow the recommended procedure everything works as advertised. I would only add (to the BRP recommendations) to thoroughly clean the area between the shock and the adjustment sleeve. BRP recommends lubricating the area with a spray lubricant, but if you use enough to flush out any contaminants it'll make a mess. I would suggest flushing it first with water, then after it dries LIGHTLY lubricate with the spray.

Regards,

Mark