PDA

View Full Version : Trunk will not open!?

JasonAM
02-22-2013, 02:27 AM
Having a problem with my trunk not wanting to open. I insert the key push down but when I turn in the direction for the trunk to pop open it doesn't want to turn. What causes this to happen. Bike is hardly broken in.

RotaxDuramax
02-22-2013, 04:25 AM
I had that problem once, I just had too much in it I guess... I had to use one hand to use the key to unlock it, while using the other hand to push down on the latch system for it to let go.

Wiredux
02-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Having a problem with my trunk not wanting to open. I insert the key push down but when I turn in the direction for the trunk to pop open it doesn't want to turn. What causes this to happen. Bike is hardly broken in.

When I first got my spyder I has the same issue. Then I realized I was turning the key the wrong way. :dontknow:

Bob Denman
02-22-2013, 08:04 AM
But was your seat unlatching okay when you did that? :shocked: :roflblack:

NancysToy
02-22-2013, 09:21 AM
As was said, first be sure you are both pushing down and turning the right way. Next, is there resistance when you turn? If so, the cable is working and the problem lies at the latch end. If not, the cable has probably come loose at the latch end or broken. If you have resistance, have someone push down in the latch area of the lid while you turn the key. That usually does the trick. The main reasons for this are:
1. Too much in the trunk...pushing back up against the lid
2. Trunk weatherstrip pulled off the lip...pushing the trunk lid up
3. Trunk liner improperly installed (not beneath the weather strip) or pulled loose...pushing the trunk lid up
4. Inadequate latch lubricant...lubricate the latch plate and post lightly

If you can't resolve your problem, you may have to visit your dealer.

Wiredux
02-22-2013, 09:23 AM
But was your seat unlatching okay when you did that? :shocked: :roflblack:

Yes it was Bob.

Sarge707
02-22-2013, 12:38 PM
I had the Key problem on the seat AND Trunk and it turned out to be a Very Mild (60 Degree-Foggy) Day followed by a Real cold spell and I swear the ignition was frozen- It would turn the Spyder on BUT you could not open the Seat or Trunk when you pushed down and turned.. Later in the afternoon it warmed up some and would work?

JasonAM
02-22-2013, 12:47 PM
The seat release works just fine, its just the trunk. I have not messed with the weatherstripping because i have not installed any liners. I dont have it over filled the only thing in there is my helmet and insurance info(hardly a load) yeah its almost like its frozen key will not turn at all in the direction to open the trunk. I guess I dont want to force anything, worst thing to happen would be is to break the key off in the ignition then I'll really be in hot water.

StanProff
02-22-2013, 12:59 PM
The seat release works just fine, its just the trunk. I have not messed with the weatherstripping because i have not installed any liners. I dont have it over filled the only thing in there is my helmet and insurance info(hardly a load) yeah its almost like its frozen key will not turn at all in the direction to open the trunk. I guess I dont want to force anything, worst thing to happen would be is to break the key off in the ignition then I'll really be in hot water.

I had a similar problem on my RT S in the beginning. As it turned out I was a little too timid when pushing and turning the key. I thought "man this thing is hard to open" with the key, then I used some more force and it opened. Not saying this is you situation but it could be the same. If you are really thinking that it could break I'd go to the dealer and say Hey,,come out here and show me how to open the Frunk on this thing! they'll know for sure if something is wrong. (or at least they'll be the one to break the key).

NancysToy
02-22-2013, 01:08 PM
If the cylinder will not turn at all, it is likely a lubrication problem, either the cable or the latch, or both. It could also be a case of the trunk latch pin being adjusted too short...which exaggerates lubrication problems. I'd still try having someone push hard on the lid, or bang on it repeatedly, while you turn the key. That can free up a stuck latch or pin. If that doesn't work, you are going to have to access the cable or the latch by hand. If you can reach under the tupperware to follow the cable, you may be able to tug on it directly, where it runs down the left side. Removing some panels, if possible, can help. To access the latch directly, you would have to go in through the opposite (right) side with a long screwdriver or similar device. It may be best for your dealer to attempt this. BTW, the typical way the weather strip comes loose is getting snagged when you remove something from the trunk. If the trunk lid sticks up higher on one side, or seems to fit funny, that is likely your problem.

Once you get the trunk open, you will need to adjust and lubricate the latch plate and pin...and possibly remove the cable and lube that. You may wish to install an emergency trunk release (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?6760-Emergency-Trunk-Release) for future use. It is possible that your ignition lock is faulty, but highly unlikely.