PDA

View Full Version : Dash Board & Tach

spydertrike
02-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Two questions RE: 2012 RT-S

The back of the glass face on the tech has some smear marks. It came this way when purchased. Any idea how I can remove the glass face to clean the smear marks?

My tach does not have a RED LINE on it. Does anyone have a Red Line on their 2012 RT-S tach?

Bob Denman
02-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Have ou askws your dealer about this?
In hindsight; it might have been better had it been noted at the time of delivery.
Perhaps they'll clean it out for you as a warranty issue? I don't see how you could be considered the cause of a smear of the back side of the glass.
Good Luck! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-22-2013, 09:43 AM
(I was hoping that could be avoided...:opps:)

NancysToy
02-22-2013, 10:29 AM
The cluster can be dismantled and cleaned, but the RT isn't quite as easy as the RS, there is the possibity of creating sealing problems, and there is a remote possibilty of damage during the process, that would necessitate an expensive cluster replacement on your dime. I'd have the dealer address it. If they choose to clean it, great, if they decide to replace the cluster, live with the refreshed odometer. JMHO

Hovdestar
02-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Spydertrike, I noticed the exact same thing with smears on the inside of my dash when I picked up my new RT-S at the dealer last summer, and I mentioned it right on the spot. They took pictures of the smears, and the smears showed up on the photos really good. They forwarded the shots to BRP. The dealer told me that BRP was aware of the issue on some of the RT's, and told me later on told me that dash replacement had been authorized by BRP. I'll be having the dash replaced this Spring. See if your dealer can take some photos of your smears, if necessary, and send 'em to BRP. With proper lighting, they should show up. <M>

Bob Denman
02-22-2013, 01:58 PM
If you plan on collecting enough miles to get a pin (5K, 25K, 100K) from BRP; take some pictures of the current dash with a nice clear view of the odometer so that you can verify how many miles the bike has accumulated. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
02-22-2013, 02:45 PM
It looks like they have your problem covered. Please keep us posted on what happens.

Don't you hate it when they have a party with sticky rolls on the assembly line and did not pack an extra one to share in your trunk? :roflblack:

bertmc
02-23-2013, 01:28 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by NancysToyhttp://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=577986#post577986)... the refreshed odometer. JMHO

Oh Scotty that's a great term ...
:bowdown:

He's a technician, not a mechanic. Or, as he says, a professor. With a fine grasp of linguistic skills. And he can talk fancy, too.

spydertrike
02-23-2013, 06:52 AM
Spydertrike, I noticed the exact same thing with smears on the inside of my dash when I picked up my new RT-S at the dealer last summer, and I mentioned it right on the spot. They took pictures of the smears, and the smears showed up on the photos really good. They forwarded the shots to BRP. The dealer told me that BRP was aware of the issue on some of the RT's, and told me later on told me that dash replacement had been authorized by BRP. I'll be having the dash replaced this Spring. See if your dealer can take some photos of your smears, if necessary, and send 'em to BRP. With proper lighting, they should show up. <M>

Thanks. I know my dealer had the same issue with one other Spyder on his showroom floor. It's my understanding they will fix/replace in the spring. However sounds like they have to do lots of reprograming of the computer etc when the install takes place. Than you have to wonder if they will make other problems with the bike.
Does your tach show the red line on your 2012 model RT-S

NancysToy
02-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Thanks. I know my dealer had the same issue with one other Spyder on his showroom floor. It's my understanding they will fix/replace in the spring. However sounds like they have to do lots of reprograming of the computer etc when the install takes place. Than you have to wonder if they will make other problems with the bike.
Does your tach show the red line on your 2012 model RT-S
If they replace the cluster, they have to do some simple reprogramming. It is not hard and does not take long. If they dismantle the cluster and clean the face, they need do nothing else.

I don't get where you are coming from with the red line thing. The Spyder tachs all show a red background to the numbers in that area, with white background in the rest of the scale. There is no "line" per se, but there is a red range. BTW, there is also a rev limiter.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38453&d=1324569940

2Paw
02-23-2013, 08:34 AM
On my 2012 RTS the tach is kind of redish orange all the way around, but if you look close, starting at 9 there is a thin white line at the bottom of the orange.

NancysToy
02-23-2013, 08:43 AM
On my 2012 RTS the tach is kind of redish orange all the way around, but if you look close, starting at 9 there is a thin white line at the bottom of the orange.
Interesting!

Farmbanker
02-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Can you post a picture?

2Paw
02-23-2013, 10:37 AM
From my 2012 RTS. in one of the pictures it looks like that from the 9 on the line get red but in reality it doesn't look that way to me, but my eyes are old.

Bob Denman
02-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Well that sure is an odd color scheme for a tach... :dontknow: 62653
I guess that was a "new & improved" deal for the 2012 models...
Here's a poor picture of the 2010 dash...

NancysToy
02-23-2013, 12:34 PM
So it appears that the newer versions still have a red background in this section, but narrower, with the addition of a white stripe. The "safe" area has been changed from white to orange, and the band narrowed.

spydertrike
02-23-2013, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. I decided to remove the tarp to have a better look. I put on my new eyeglass (LOL) and had a good look. It does have a very thin white line starting at 9. First time I notice this thin white line. Got too be honest I don't like the 2012 tech display. I think it should only show red where the red line starts. Oh well I will get use to it.

Bob Denman
02-23-2013, 12:56 PM
I think that I prefer the old white, then red format. As that needle sweeps toward the red; you know EXACTLY where it is! :thumbup:

Farmbanker
02-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Yep, looks just like mine. I prefer the older one also...

SPYD3R
02-23-2013, 03:52 PM
LIVE WITH IT.... ignore it....
i have what looks like a cigarette ash behind the plastic on mind, and i just ignore it...
look real close, just off center @ 9 o'clock....
if any1 steals mine, i'll look there to identify it....

DrewNJ
02-23-2013, 04:45 PM
I honestly can't tell you what mine looks like....I don't pay that much attention to it..I know it has numbers and needles on it.....lol. Are you guys really staring at the dash that much??

However, a friend cracked the lens on his and the dealer ordered a replacement lens for the killer price of about $15...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Ledford
02-23-2013, 05:14 PM
It looks like they have your problem covered. Please keep us posted on what happens.

Don't you hate it when they have a party with sticky rolls on the assembly line and did not pack an extra one to share in your trunk? :roflblack:

You laugh but I remember when I was working At our local GM. Dealer after school customer brought his new Chevy in complaining. When it sat parked during the day it smelled like. Rotten meat or something. The mechanic. Looked inside. Under the seats. In the trunk under the car finding they looked under the dásh. That left inside the door panels one assembly line techies lunch

Bob Ledford
02-23-2013, 05:18 PM

You laugh but I remember when I was working At our local GM. Dealer after school customer brought his new Chevy in complaining. When it sat parked during the day it smelled like. Rotten meat or something. The mechanic. Looked inside. Under the seats. In the trunk under the car finding nothing they looked under the dásh. That left inside the door panels one assembly line techies lunch

ARtraveler
02-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Your right! There is a no kidding on some of this stuff. I used to live in Ft. Wayne IN, where they manufactured the International Scouts back in the mid 70's. I knew some assemblyline workers that would brag they would put chicken bones from their lunches inside the door panels in order to cause rattles. All union related stuff. There were also other horror stories that I heard. No wonder the brand was discountinued. It was not so funny when several thousand workers lost their very good paying jobs.

Chupaca
02-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Looks like they have you covered..if you want to see the process search "Help" and see how JJ38 is changing the light color on the dash.. Good luck:thumbup:

d.o.spyder-rts
02-26-2013, 11:55 AM

Mine is the same. Dale