PDA

View Full Version : Yoshimura exhaust on 2012 RSS

Goblyn Gyrl
02-21-2013, 06:06 PM
I have looked through all the old posts about the Yoshi exhaust and I am still confused on what else I will need to do to switch out from stock. I found lots of good advice but not a definite answer. I am interested in the Yoshi exhaust for my RS-S. What else (if anything) do I need.... air filter, power commander/juice box, any special instructions for tuning during installation? I am new to exhausts so any information or advise is very welcome!

Marker
02-21-2013, 06:18 PM
I have looked through all the old posts about the Yoshi exhaust and I am still confused on what else I will need to do to switch out from stock. I found lots of good advice but not a definite answer. I am interested in the Yoshi exhaust for my RS-S. What else (if anything) do I need.... air filter, power commander/juice box, any special instructions for tuning during installation? I am new to exhausts so any information or advise is very welcome!

Here is the link to the site
http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/s-2054-prod.aspx When I called them I was asking about my 2010 RT S and I was told that nothing else was required for engine mods, Just follow the instructions that come with the exhaust. But you can add the go fast goodies if you want to but not necessary.

arntufun
02-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Put it on and run it first........ it seems each Spyder does not react the same to exhausts. My HMF ran great at first and then I noticed popping once the temps increased during summer.

If it pops/backfires on deceleration than you might need a fuel controller to correct it. 02 mods worked great for backfire/pop, but they don't make them anymore. If you ever change to a performance airfilter than you would definitely want to add a fuel controller. It would run to lean without it once a performance airfilter/exhaust was added.

What made you choose Yoshi ??????

Goblyn Gyrl
02-21-2013, 09:18 PM
The backfiring is what I am concerned about. I have heard about that issue and was not sure what to do to prevent it.
I am leaning towards the yoshimura. I want a different look and sound than stock but not too loud. I am not very concerned with the performance improvements that come with changing out the exhaust. That is why I want to know the minimal I need to do to make the switch.
I like the size, looks and hopefully the sound of the yoshi. Looking for a deeper growl but still want to be able to hear music and not need earplugs or annoy the neighbors.

major911
02-22-2013, 09:15 AM
The backfiring is what I am concerned about. I have heard about that issue and was not sure what to do to prevent it.
I am leaning towards the yoshimura. I want a different look and sound than stock but not too loud. I am not very concerned with the performance improvements that come with changing out the exhaust. That is why I want to know the minimal I need to do to make the switch.
I like the size, looks and hopefully the sound of the yoshi. Looking for a deeper growl but still want to be able to hear music and not need earplugs or annoy the neighbors.
As long as you don't change the intake system you'll probably be fine. I have the yoshi on my 2011 RSS and i love it. i also went with the green air filter. started noticing some decel popping so i went with the juicebox. Didnt like the inconsistencies with the juicebox so i managed to find the O2 modifier that isn't made anymore...(can still find used occasionally on here) after the modifier I took the juicebox off and it runs great with no popping whatsoever.

daveinva
02-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Ahhh, the Yoshi on the RS... a.k.a. the sweater thread you can't stop pulling :joke:.

All I needed for the install was the pipe itself AND a new exhaust gasket (the old one will likely be impossible to re-use). You can pick up one of these at your dealer, I forget the part number but search for it on the Can-Am site and it'll give you a parts number. My dealer had it in stock for like a dollar, but just call ahead and see if yours does. (FYI, these are NOT the same size gaskets as the Y-gaskets everyone talks about here).

Once installed, the pipe worked great, but yeah, I would get some backfiring from time to time, usually on decel. I noticed that this increased over time, however, so I figured I'd get a fuel controller. I went with the Juicebox Pro.

Trouble with the JB Pro is that installing it is a serious pain-- you most likely need to remove the airbox in order to get to where you need to reach (yeah, the videos show people able to install it without removing the airbox, but trust me: it's soooo much easier without the airbox).

The problem with removing the airbox? Once it's out, you won't want to put it back in. That was my dilemma-- it's so ungainly, it collects (and leaks) oil, and with it on the bike you can't easily access the engine bay (not that you have to do that often, but when you do... like installing/replacing spark plugs, or checking hoses... it's nice not having the airbox in there).

Thus, once the airbox was out, I went with the Kewlmetal air intake as well. That's a super easy install once the airbox is out.

So, taken together, the Yoshi, the JB Pro, and the air intake all require a good map on the JB Pro. Trouble is, the stock JB Pro maps never really worked all that well, even with adjustments to the dials on the Pro. YMMV, but I found that downloading Power Commander's maps (map #5 IIRC is the one that works best for this RS setup) and tweaking the dials from that baseline gave me the best performance. Now, all that tweaking is still seat-of-the-pants, I've never used a dyno, so I know that nothing is perfect. But I got it working good enough for me.

One important note if you go with the JB Pro: You need to plug it in via USB to a computer in order to upload custom maps. Once installed on the bike, however, you can't remove the JB Pro to do this, which means you'll need a laptop with a long USB coord to plug into the JB Pro unit (it fits just in the frunk, right by the fusebox) in order to upload maps. If you think you'll go that route, do yourself the favor and upload the custom maps (from Power Commander or wherever) BEFORE you install the JB, it'll save you the hassle.

So... now that this is all out of the way, what's my verdict?

I'd stay away from the JB Pro :joke:. Just judging by forum comments, it sounds like the Power Commander V with autotune is a better deal. The autotune function helps you avoid doing all the manual tweaking to the dials on the JB Pro. The downside there is that he PCV requires you to do a minor weld of a bung to the exhaust. If you're not able to do that yourself, however, a dealer may be able to do that for you.

That said, if you do the JB Pro yourself, it's easy enough to install (with the caveats about the stock airbox in mind). And it DOES work, once you find the right "tweaks" to the dials. But you WILL suffer through some trial and error, it's all part of the fun.

But really, the question everyone wants answered, is it worth it?

Hmmm... I'm not sure. I like the Yoshi sound. I like the Kewlmetal intake sound. I *feel* a better pull off the line with those two and the JB at work, but that feel may be entirely in my head (or it may just be dropping that 4,000 lb stock exhaust off my RS's backside :p).

But it's louder. And louder isn't always better. It's still street legal loud (in most places), so you're not going full Harley pipe here-- that's why I went with the Yoshi (with the silencer tip installed-- it's too loud for me without it).

But you also have to deal with glass packing every now and then-- Yoshi recommends every 5,000 miles that you repack the exhaust. Again, something simple you can do yourself-- and you probably can stretch out the repacks to every 7,500-10,000 miles-- but you don't have to ever bother doing that with the stock exhaust.

If I had to do it all over again? Honestly... I probably wouldn't. The stock RS works, it works very well, and the expense and hassle of doing everything I did to the bike just to get a different sounding exhaust that in my helmet with earplugs I honestly can't even hear once I'm at full speed... yeah, kind of a waste IMHO.

YMMV, however.

Good luck!

JasonAM
02-22-2013, 12:55 PM
I have the juicebox fuel controller along with the two bros racing exhaust and K&N filter along with some 93 octane and my Spyder runs sweet. If you stick with the yoshi then the fuel controller of choice would be the Power Commander, but make sure to get the one with the auto-tune feature. Its the priciest but you"ll be happy with the results. On another note Lovin' the Neutron Green, got one just like it. Happy riding!:D

Goblyn Gyrl
02-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Wow, that sounds like a lot of work and hassle. I am definitely not brave enough to try using the Juice Box Pro and especially not changing out the air box. My Spyder runs great now so I do not want to risk making that many changes, especially with the risk of future problems. Like I mentioned before, I am only doing this as a cosmetic/sound change, not a performance enhancement so it is not worth the risk of problems. So far it sounds like adding the exhaust alone is the best first plan and then see what happens. Keep the suggestions coming, I am still debating what to do. It is always an option to keep the gigantic stock pipe around, why mess with a Spyder that is has no problems.

mcaccamise
03-11-2013, 01:39 PM
The stock exhaust is just plain ugly and what is modding all about to make a stock spyder your own choose the pipe u want and go from there thats the fun is there ever enough farkles.

vtspyder
03-18-2013, 08:46 PM
The stock RS runs at an AFR of about 14.7. Extremely lean from the factory. That's why you get the popping when you pipe it. Leans it out even more. I use a custom map I made for the JB Pro as I have a green filter installed in the factory box. It's actually kinda neat 'cause I run the pipes in the summer with the short windshield when I'm out sporting around w/ the custom map (Created with the Innovate Motorsports WB AFR Gauge mounted to the handlebars). A lot more pull and runs like a hellion. When I'm with my wife riding we use the intercoms touring around and I like it nice and quiet. I just pop the 2 bro's duals off and slip the factory pipe back on, set the JBP to map 1 and off I go. Whole process takes under 5 minutes. Keep in mind you will need to tune the JB Pro with a laptop PC. For pipe alone, map 3 will do it. The minute you mess with the air filter or box you will need to tune it manually. I also get stellar gas mileage running around here in the mountains. 34-36 mpg. Way better with the pipes and the mods than without. More power too. My cruise AFR is around 13-13.6 (right where it should be). Hard pulls thru different throttle and rpm ranges are between 11.5 and 12.9.

I would go with the power commander with autotune unless you've got time to tweak. All I've got is time.:sour:

Sny
04-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Wow, that sounds like a lot of work and hassle. I am definitely not brave enough to try using the Juice Box Pro and especially not changing out the air box. My Spyder runs great now so I do not want to risk making that many changes, especially with the risk of future problems. Like I mentioned before, I am only doing this as a cosmetic/sound change, not a performance enhancement so it is not worth the risk of problems. So far it sounds like adding the exhaust alone is the best first plan and then see what happens. Keep the suggestions coming, I am still debating what to do. It is always an option to keep the gigantic stock pipe around, why mess with a Spyder that is has no problems.

The Yoshi R77 pipe with the insert is similar to the stock back pressure and I would suspect you can run it without any fuel modifications (o2 mod, power commander, juice box) without issues and certainly not any chance of hurting anything.

That said, the Spyder runs quite lean even stock and adding some fuel would help any Spyder to run better, stronger, smoother.

To keep it short, try it. I know you'll like it. And the fear of adding more afterwards will turn into a desire to add more afterwards. Better to be excited by change than afraid of it!

I'm about to put an R77 on an otherwise stock Spyder for my wife. I'll post about it later.

napper39
04-12-2013, 01:18 PM
just as some have told you go for the pipe and nothing else and you will be ok,some have said when they installed the pipe by its self they started the spyder and let it run at ideal for about 15 mins.and the spyder would ajust the thottle body for the change,now im not sure about that but it wouldnt hurt totry.i my self have an 02 mod on my spyder and open muffler and runs like nascar,too bad they stoped making the 02 mod ,but im sure if you get just the pipe you will be fine and love the sound.now ride and have fun:f_spider::2thumbs: man you got to love this site:chat:

Goblyn Gyrl
04-12-2013, 08:36 PM
With all the great advise, I decided to go for it and get the new exhaust. I ended up getting a GPR instead of the Yoshimura. So far it is working great. Every now and then I get some popping on deceleration but no backfiring. The only time I get a few pops is when I slow way down going down hill with a sharp curve. It happens around 4000-4200 RPMs. I have only noticed it on two roads so far and I have figured out that if I stay on the throttle a little more I do not have any issues. I think I was completely letting off the throttle when it happened. I have had the GPR for about a month but do to weather have not been out ryding too much or for too long. I am looking forward to testing it out more now that spring is finally here. I am hoping to avoid having to make any other adjustments. I am definitely not going back to the stock pipe, I love the look and sound of the GPR. I can deal with the popping if it only occurs a couple times a ryde and it has not been every ryde. If it gets worse or I start to have backfiring I am planning to get the Power Commander and probably the autotune. 66296

SPYD1
04-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Do you mind if I ask how much it was? I have been looking as well.

twain
04-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Looks good. :thumbup:

Goblyn Gyrl
04-12-2013, 09:41 PM
I ordered in from Euro Motards for $574.80 including shipping from Milan Italy. I have seen it on e-bay cheaper but I was not sure what version it was. I got the homologated version that they are making for places like the UK and Singapore to meet their sound and emission standards. It has the extra decibel killer that is removable. It comes with a certificate that the sound level meets standards but it probably does not help us much since it is written in Italian. I ordered this one because I wanted to make sure it was not too loud. I also talked with someone at Euro Motards so I knew I was getting the right on for my Spyder. I have all the baffles in and the decibel killer and I really like it. Euro Motards was great, it arrived in 4 days I think, pretty impressive coming from Italy.

napper39
04-13-2013, 01:13 AM
now i hope your going to spyderfest,so we all can see that sweet looking spyder with the good sounding pipe ive never heard of that g p r,see you there.:thumbup:

Goblyn Gyrl
04-13-2013, 03:21 PM
No Spyderfest for me this year, but I will be at the Owners Event.

BAD RSS
05-02-2013, 03:29 PM
I can tell you that when I put my pipe on, it never popped once. But I was worried about running too lean. So I bought a Juice Box Pro. Since the addition of the J.B, it runs stronger, and cooler. Stock I was pushing 5-6 bars all the time. Even in the winter. After I piped it, it was at 6 bars and occasionaly 7 during stop and go's. After the JB, it has only hit 5 a couple of time. I used to hear the fan when ever I pulled it in the garage, but havn't heard it once since the Box. And it was not hard to install. Most of the plastics have to come off, but it gave me an opportunity to "dust off" the insides!! And I think it is getting better mpg's too.

SPYD1
05-02-2013, 03:52 PM
I can tell you that when I put my pipe on, it never popped once. But I was worried about running too lean. So I bought a Juice Box Pro. Since the addition of the J.B, it runs stronger, and cooler. Stock I was pushing 5-6 bars all the time. Even in the winter. After I piped it, it was at 6 bars and occasionaly 7 during stop and go's. After the JB, it has only hit 5 a couple of time. I used to hear the fan when ever I pulled it in the garage, but havn't heard it once since the Box. And it was not hard to install. Most of the plastics have to come off, but it gave me an opportunity to "dust off" the insides!! And I think it is getting better mpg's too.
What pipe did you add?

Dwanton
05-02-2013, 06:58 PM
i love my yoshi -- but wonder what that GPR sounds like all opened up ?

Flanker
05-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Just put my TBR M2 Black slip on system on tonight. My RSS fired right up, idles fine, runs the same..........................too freakin' loud though. Just ordered the TBR P1X power tip a few minutes ago, to quiet that rascal down. Got a Juice Box Pro with filter coming soon. Looking forward to see how that works out. Located a dealership not too far away that has a dyno, and is capable of checking AFR for you, and doing map tweaking (if it comes to that for me). Be a good idea to pay them for a dyno pull after everything is on the RSS; just to see how the AFR looks across the rev range. Real happy with the looks of the TBR exhaust and weight savings (TBR claims 13 lbs less than stock--holding both S pipes and mufflers up at the same time makes me think that claim is pretty close to accurate). Yea......................I know; gotta get an updated Sig picture.........................too darn late and dark to do it tonight though.

BAD RSS
05-03-2013, 09:04 PM
What pipe did you add?
I made one with a Harley exhaust. It is a single pipe I would say it is similar to an HMF