PDA

View Full Version : Coming to the end of my BEST warranty

Spyderjockey
02-21-2013, 02:25 PM
In April my BEST warranty runs out and I am wondering if I can take the Spyder to a dealer before that and have them check things out to see if anything is a problem or going to be a problem and have it fixed before the end of the warrany? Or is that too much to expect?:dontknow:

ABQAndy
02-21-2013, 02:34 PM
I'm just guessing but I'll bet it is too much to expect unless you pay extra for the inspection!?!? :shocked:

ARtraveler
02-21-2013, 02:57 PM
I am also guessing that check overs are not a part of the package. Let us know what happens though. Good information to know for the SL site.

SpyderAnn01
02-21-2013, 04:07 PM
In April my BEST warranty runs out and I am wondering if I can take the Spyder to a dealer before that and have them check things out to see if anything is a problem or going to be a problem and have it fixed before the end of the warranty? Or is that too much to expect?:dontknow:

Just curious now that your coverage is almost over do you feel that it was worth the price? I'm coming up on the end of my first year of Best coverage and I've had a fair amount of work done under the Best warranty. I'm not sure that it has paid for itself yet though.

ARtraveler
02-21-2013, 04:18 PM
RE: Extended warranty.

SpyderAnn: If you purchased the extended warranty and have had to use it--I am guessing that your investment there was worthwhile. Extending the period--probably a good gamble for you, given the past record.

Extended warranties usually are a cash cow for the dealer to sell. The idea being that they will not be needed or used. The :spyder2: can be good or bad when it comes to extended warranty needs. There have been a lot of SL's that are very glad they purchased the warranty.

I usually do not buy extended warranties, GAP coverage, or credit life. My favorite thing to do when asked about credit life is to tell them, If I die, that your problem--not mine. :roflblack:

Humor aside: its a calculated gamble--just like car insurance. Do I want no deductible, $500, $1000, or something bigger? I am now out of warranty on my 2010 and have over 29,000 miles on it. No major problems yet--BUT--I am now going to find out if my gamble paid off.

Spyderjockey
02-21-2013, 06:32 PM
I think it was a wash for me as far as the cost versus the benefits. Although right after I had bought the extended warranty I had the front sprocket go bad and the mechanic insisted that the belt and the rear sprocket had to be replaced because of BRP recomendations. So thinking it would be covered I said go ahead and do whatever had to be done knowing that everyone else that I had heard about had been covered under the warranty. The mechanic entered it into the system as a wear item so BRP refused to cover it. So that cost me over $1000 and to top it off the mechanic failed to put thread lock on the front bolt that holds the sprocket in place. As a result the sprocket loosened up again in a few thousand miles and ruined that sprocket and damaged the belt which eventually also failed. I of course did not go back to that dealership and went to another one about an hour away to have just the front sprocket replaced. I put the original belt back on (that the first mechanic told me was unsafe to use) when the new belt failed and have been using that one ever since. That belt has over 60000 miles on it now. So anyhow the warranty should have been a better value for me if I hadn't been screwed over by that mechanic.

Sorry, I hadn't meant to go into all of that again on here......but everytime I think about what happened I just get inflamed all over again. Needless to say that mechanic has not seen my Spyder since that all went down even though that dealership is only 5 miles from my house!!