PDA

View Full Version : Wiring question...

Bob Denman
02-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Okay; I'm getting my courage wound up nice and tight, and now wiring question for the experts...:shocked:
I'm going to be using the installation of a Stebel horn as the subterfuge that'll get the RonBar nailed into place... :opps:
The problem is; what gauge wiring should I be using for this horn?
Geoff sent me an EXCELLENT wiring diagram (:clap::thumbup:), that shows a 25 amp fuse stuck in between the battery, and the relay. I'm guessing that I also need a prety stout line going from the relay to the horn, and then from the horn, to ground...
Any suggestions?:dontknow:
Thanks! :thumbup:

coz
02-20-2013, 08:47 AM
it should tell u in your instructions what gauge to use, or at least the minimum gauge u can use.:thumbup:

MouthPiece
02-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Hopefully the following will help. I think it's post # 18. Either way I think it's in this thread.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?32217-Mounting-a-Stebel-Nautilus-Air-Horn-on-the-RT

Chris

Bob Denman
02-20-2013, 09:01 AM
12 gauge... :thumbup:
Thanks!
:opps: I didn't read far enough into the thread... :opps:

Bob Denman
02-20-2013, 11:05 AM
How about for the wires that don't need to be so heavy duty? Should I go ahead and just run everything in 12 gauge?:dontknow:

Bob Denman
02-20-2013, 11:43 AM
You should use a plasma conduit and direct it through the warp core ...

I'm afraid of either cracking the di-lithium crystals, or perhaps other unintended consequences... :shocked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvMo0CHwMs0

Bob Denman
02-20-2013, 12:21 PM
I like the "Simpler is Better" style also! :thumbup:

jerpinoy
02-20-2013, 01:18 PM
12 awg wire for most application, don't forget use wire loom to prevent chapping.

Bob Denman
02-20-2013, 02:23 PM
:shocked: Thanks! I hadn't given that a thought... :opps: :thumbup:

GeoffCee
02-21-2013, 06:31 AM
How about for the wires that don't need to be so heavy duty? Should I go ahead and just run everything in 12 gauge?:dontknow:

When you break into the horn push-button circuit you'll discover that it uses fairly thin wires. There is no point in beefing up this wiring unnecessarily. You'll probably use Positaps to extend the horn push-button circuit to the switching side of the relay, as I have done (see photos) so I would advise you to keep the wires you use similarly low amperage and manageable. (Manageable: Comparatively, thicker wiring is stiffer, more difficult to bend thro tight angles and requires heavier-gauge fittings).

Bob Denman
02-21-2013, 08:02 AM
Thanks Geoff! :thumbup: I was actually wondering how well two different-sized wires would mate up in my clumsy paws! :opps:
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_3_102.gif Putting together my shopping list...

Sarge707
02-21-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm afraid of either cracking the di-lithium crystals, or perhaps other unintended consequences... :shocked:

What is the purpose of sounding like a Passing freight train???????????:dontknow:

People aren,t even phased by Car alarms blaring in a parking lot anymore? Sounds to me by the time you blow it you could be in real danger and when you blow it people are going to be P****** Off at you, Not something you want when your on a Fragile Spyder???:yikes:

Bob Denman
02-21-2013, 01:30 PM
You might be missing the entire point of having a horn; to get somebody's attention. :shocked:
I don't care what they think of me if I've got to lay some decibels on them. I just want them to stop whatever boneheaded thing it is that they're doing and don't collect me in the process.
Story:
I had air horns on my GoldWing... Crossing a bridge; left lane... kid in the right lane along side of me started looking in the rearview mirror
(I start figuring that the moron is gonna cut me off. I cover the horn button...
As soon as he started to twitch the wheel; I gave him the Fiamm!
He actually bounced off the guardrail on the right hand side after he got done getting back out of my way...
Mission accomplished! :2thumbs:

NancysToy
02-21-2013, 02:26 PM
You might be missing the entire point of having a horn; to get somebody's attention. :shocked:
I don't care what they think of me if I've got to lay some decibels on them. I just want them to stop whatever boneheaded thing it is that they're doing and don't collect me in the process.
Story:
I had air horns on my GoldWing... Crossing a bridge; left lane... kid in the right lane along side of me started looking in the rearview mirror
(I start figuring that the moron is gonna cut me off. I cover the horn button...
He actually bounced off the guardrail on the right hand side after he got done getting back out of my way...

Backing off a little to allow him room to do something boneheaded would be too much trouble? I suppose it was easier to dodge the schrapnel when he crashed. :dontknow: Sorry, your approach makes no sense to me. I guess it's different here away from "civilization." Glad he didn't collect you when he bounced off the guardrail.

boborgera
02-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Story:

I had just the opposite happen to me, Old guy about 50, Starts to drift onto my lane. I was in a 71 beetle,
and i installed Fiamm Air horns, Hit the horns and he swung into me, His excuse was the horns startle him and didn't know where i was and he just reacted.
I would never use extra [obnoxious] loud horns on a Trike/Bike, you just might piss off the wrong person.nojoke

Bob Denman
02-21-2013, 02:44 PM
I would never use extra [obnoxious] loud horns on a Trike/Bike, you just might piss off the wrong person.nojoke

I really don't care about upsetting them; I just want to make sure that they know that I'm there. If it makes them mad; :cus: 'em! We've got more than enough road-rage laws and hungry lawyers to take care of anything that they do, that is monumentally stupid... :shocked:

Huntindawg1962
02-21-2013, 04:50 PM
I feel goofy enough when I accidentally bump the stock horn button. THIS would just prove I was an idiot loud and proud :doorag:

Sarge707
02-21-2013, 05:18 PM
I had just the opposite happen to me, Old guy about 50, Starts to drift onto my lane. I was in a 71 beetle,
and i installed Fiamm Air horns, Hit the horns and he swung into me, His excuse was the horns startle him and didn't know where i was and he just reacted.

:agree: When I ride my Spyders I ride Defensively at ALL times and Remind myself EVERY time I leave home that "I,m the Weak Kid on the Block" when I,m on my Spyder!! The Spyder will NEVER win a Rage War?nojoke

Bob Denman
02-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Scotty,
I was in traffic up to my neck and didn't have that option available to me.
And I was also a lot younger; without the benefit of the experience that I now have stored in my melon...

Arr MiHardies
02-21-2013, 07:49 PM

THIS is the horn I want.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Arr MiHardies
02-21-2013, 07:54 PM
What is the purpose of sounding like a Passing freight train???????????:dontknow:

People aren,t even phased by Car alarms blaring in a parking lot anymore? Sounds to me by the time you blow it you could be in real danger and when you blow it people are going to be P****** Off at you, Not something you want when your on a Fragile Spyder???:yikes:

Because in addition to people having their radio cranked up, cars now are actually designed to keep noise out. You need something loud enough to push through all that crap so they can hear you. In addition, at night, I already look light a freight train. May as well sound like one too.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

MouthPiece
02-21-2013, 07:56 PM
I grew up in a small town filled with eccentric characters.
It's a wonder I'm normal, or nearly so anyway.

The grandmother of the town's undertakers had the reputation for being the worse driver in town.
Her m.o. was to approach an intersection, red light, stop sign or some other traffic merge point and just lay on the horn.

She didn't stop, signal or observe any known traffic law.
She saw the horn button as some sort of magic force field or accident repeller control.

Her grandsons had an air horn installed on her Caddy.
We all got used to her and the fog horn.

But then it was a small town.

Gone are the days!!!

Chris

Bob Denman
02-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Because in addition to people having their radio cranked up, cars now are actually designed to keep noise out. You need something loud enough to push through all that crap so they can hear you. In addition, at night, I already look light a freight train. May as well sound like one too.
a2
:agree:Thank you...

GeoffCee
02-22-2013, 07:18 AM

92: The horn.
Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively.
You MUST NOT use your horn while your vehicle is stationary on the road or when driving in a built up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am except when another vehicle poses a danger.
Law CUR reg 99 from:
www.gov.uk/highway-code/contents (http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/07.htm#92)

Read and remember. It will be useful if ever you come on a fly-drive to the UK. Vehicle users face some quaint rules and restrictions, all of which carry financial penalties for infringement. There was the recent case of a man who was in the habit before he drove away from his house early each morning of tooting "goodbye" to his children as they watched from a bedroom window. Four kids equaled four toots of his horn. One morning a lurking policeman brought this harmless family fun to an end with a £30 ($45) fine. It is thought that one of his neighbors had complained about the noise. :(

Bob Denman
02-22-2013, 08:06 AM
:agree: Horns are for trying to prevent disasters; nothing more! :thumbup:

boborgera
02-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Most people use the horn as an after thought, ie, After the car cuts you off. nojoke

Just to add with the appropriate Jersey salute. :mad:

NancysToy
02-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Most people use the horn as an after thought, ie, After the car cuts you off. nojoke

Just to add with the appropriate Jersey salute. :mad:
You have to make them turn and look...so they can see the salute. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
02-22-2013, 09:42 AM
You've got to drive everybody else's vehicle around you... Paranoia is actually useful for this application! :shocked:
If you wait to react to a situation; you're already in a poor position! :yikes:

GeoffCee
02-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Even though I fitted a Stebel Nautilus horn as long ago as July 2011 I have no recollection of having used it in traffic since then, neither can I remember when I last used the horn in my car. I only changed my Spyder's horn because it squawked like a ruptured duck when I pressed the button. It didn't sound to me that such a weak sound carried any authority. I felt it should sound more butch, or in US TV gangster-speak, more bad-assed. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
02-22-2013, 10:44 AM
That's funny...
I carry a handgun all of the time as well; I can't remember the last time that I had to use it in traffic either! ;)
Better to have it, and not need it... :thumbup:

GeoffCee
02-23-2013, 06:23 AM
I carry a handgun all of the time as well; I can't remember the last time that I had to use it in traffic either! ;)
Better to have it, and not need it... :thumbup:

I can't begin to understand where the hell along the way you guys got so screwed up about your perceived personal security, it makes my attempts to butch up my horn as a warning to others that I'm around seem feeble by comparison, until you realize that the next guy I meet on the road isn't going to be carrying a goddam firearm either! Better to not have it, because you don't need it... :thumbup:

NancysToy
02-23-2013, 08:17 AM
I can't begin to understand where the hell along the way you guys got so screwed up about your perceived personal security, it makes my attempts to butch up my horn as a warning to others that I'm around seem feeble by comparison, until you realize that the next guy I meet on the road isn't going to be carrying a goddam firearm either! Better to not have it, because you don't need it... :thumbup:

Amen, brother! :thumbup:

ThreeWheels
02-23-2013, 08:29 AM
How did we get from horns to firearms ?

The louder the horn the better. It's not like loud pipes. Loud pipes just annoy everyone around them.
You use the horn when needed, and YES, I have used by air horn to warn people to BOTH our advantage.
You know, you can tell when they are about to pull out of their driveways in front of you because they are looking in the other direction.
A quick LOUD toot on the horn brings their heads back in your direction and they see you.
It's certainly better than the stock "meep meep".
I'm even thinking of trying to mount a louder horn on my Piaggio.

As to firearms, the second amendment allows the population to carry firearms to protect themselves.
All fascist regimes have started by eliminating arms from the populace.

What kind of oil is the best to use when installing the new gas caps on our tires ?

Now, I'm going back to the entertainment portion of our program, which is (not so) patiently waiting for my Baja Ron Sway Bar to be delivered.

Bob Denman
02-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Geoff,
:shocked:

Trickie Dick
02-23-2013, 09:30 PM
How did we get from horns to firearms ? The louder the horn the better. It's not like loud pipes. Loud pipes just annoy everyone around them. You use the horn when needed, and YES, I have used by air horn to warn people to BOTH our advantage. You know, you can tell when they are about to pull out of their driveways in front of you because they are looking in the other direction. A quick LOUD toot on the horn brings their heads back in your direction and they see you. It's certainly better than the stock "meep meep". I'm even thinking of trying to mount a louder horn on my Piaggio. As to firearms, the second amendment allows the population to carry firearms to protect themselves. All fascist regimes have started by eliminating arms from the populace. What kind of oil is the best to use when installing the new gas caps on our tires ? Now, I'm going back to the entertainment portion of our program, which is (not so) patiently waiting for my Baja Ron Sway Bar to be delivered. You better check your facts. http://www.natvan.com/national-vanguard/assorted/gunhitler.html

Trickie Dick
02-23-2013, 10:15 PM
The only statement I was disagreeing with was this: " All fascist regimes have started by eliminating arms from the populace."

Bob Denman
02-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Let's go back to horns...http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/13/13_10_16.gif
And remember; Geoff lives in a country that doesn't seem to put any emphasis on firearms ownership...
Even over here; there are lots of folks who don't like them, want them, or even want US to want them... :shocked:
But that's all grist for another debate and another time... :2thumbs:

Cruzr Joe
02-24-2013, 10:32 AM

My firearm is kind of like my insurance, i hope and pray that i will never need it, but should the situation arise that i truly need it, i will be glad that i had it.

Cruzr Joe

NancysToy
02-24-2013, 11:22 AM
My arguments have nothing to do with firearms, they have to do with horns. Horns can be as big a liability as they can be a boon. My old driver's ed teacher started us out with his definition of a "good driver". He said it was someone who never had to lock up his brakes or use his horn...or had caused anyone else to have to do the same. I would have to search for my horn button if I wanted to blow it. Does raising the windshild count? ;)

Bob Denman
02-24-2013, 11:33 AM
,,,By the time ANY traffic situation has already deteriorated to the "Brakes and :cus:" moment, you've missed your chance for a quick toot on the horn to have had any hopes of preventing it...
I'm a strong believer that if a little bit of horn can prevent the need for brakes; :thumbup:
Hoever.... you can't be an idiot about it's use either! :gaah: