PDA

View Full Version : How do you thaw the ignition switch out

Nudels2u75
02-20-2013, 07:19 AM
I am working in Iowa, I have to park my bike outside, I ride to work everyday, but a few times the ignition switch has froze up, and will not turn, like today I can only get the key halfway into tumbler...

I have tried the heat stuff you squirt into key hole---does not work

I have tried the WD-40 you squirt into key hole---does not work

I have tried the Either you squirt into key hole---does not work

I have tried putting a heat lamp onto the switch---does not work

I have tried covering the key hole up--does not work

Anybody else have any other suggestions, this is plum depressing and very aggrevating

harrypottar
02-20-2013, 07:36 AM
Automotive stores sell lock de-icer, squirts in the lock wait a few seconds and should work

harry

CyncySpyder
02-20-2013, 07:43 AM
Sounds like you may have to much 'gunk' down in that key hole & as it freezes, may be causing your issue. I'd recommend cleaning it out real well & allowing it to completely dry out, getting one of Lamonts IPS key covers & also a travel cover for your Spyder. That would solve any future issues from happening, but sadly does nothing to help you now, sorry. We rode all last winter & didn't have any such issues, possibly thanks to using our travel cover any time it was parked outside with any chance of precipitation.

Hope you get this remedied:pray:

Bob Denman
02-20-2013, 07:57 AM
:agree: You may have inadvertently gunked things up in there... :shocked: I honestly don't know how you would go about undoing what has been done; perhaps a call to a locksmith for some advice? :dontknow:

eddieshep999
02-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Getting one of Lamonts IPS key covers & also a travel cover for your Spyder. That would solve any future issues from happening Hope you get this remedied:pray:

If you don't want to leave the IPS Key cover in ref Security a cheap way to ensure no moisture gets in is just to find
a lid that will just slip over the Ign Cover - I found one and just happened to make a Smiley face out of it
or just use a plain container lid

I also cover my Handlebar switches and my GPS to ensure they remain protected both from moisture and any heat when the Spyder is in direct sunlight whilst parked

These photos may help

Pennyrick
02-20-2013, 08:27 AM
I am working in Iowa, I have to park my bike outside, I ride to work everyday, but a few times the ignition switch has froze up, and will not turn, like today I can only get the key halfway into tumbler...

Anybody else have any other suggestions, this is plum depressing and very aggrevating

Back when I used to live in Winnipeg I had a Hillman that I could not unlock in the winter. I used to take a lighter and heat up the key before I put it in the lock and that seemed to do the trick. Don't know if a hot key will help with the Spyder. It sounds like there is gunk in the switch.

Grandpa Pete
02-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Back when I used to live in Winnipeg I had a Hillman that I could not unlock in the winter. I used to take a lighter and heat up the key before I put it in the lock and that seemed to do the trick. Don't know if a hot key will help with the Spyder. It sounds like there is gunk in the switch. Same trick in Minnesota:clap:
:clap:

bruiser
02-20-2013, 10:14 AM
I would not use heat on the key. It might damage the chip. How is the switch working in warmer weather? I tend to agree with others about the gunk buildup.

Nudels2u75
02-20-2013, 10:54 AM
It works fine in warm weather....

I am working here 150 miles west of Chicago, it appears after it rains that slush....

Sometimes I can not get the key to go in the slot and at times I can not get the tumbler to unfreeze...

I am not going to heat the key as I know it has a chip in it....

Maybe have to get a stronger heat lamp bulb...

Today after work I Plan taking my heat gun and warming the tumbler up a little...then putting a hood over the key with heat light inside of hood....

My goldwing has the same problem as the key is in the same location...

With this North West wind blowing through here and now there is another storm on the way....

I just hate being forced to drive my truck to work...

Just not enough air time in the truck....LOL

napper39
02-20-2013, 11:03 AM
i use the same stif i put on the window to melt ice,works for me.:2thumbs:

NancysToy
02-20-2013, 11:54 AM
You'll probably get lots of advice. Here's mine:

1. Do not use WD-40...it will dry out the lock and make things worse.
2. You can have a plain key made (Ilco X270) and heat that to get throught the ice. It could take several tries. It won't start the Spyder but it will turn the lock.
3. Be careful with external heat...there are some plastic parts wires, etc. in that area.
4. If you try a lock-thawing spray, heat it in some warm water before using it. Keep it in a warm pocket until you use it.
5. Same thing goes for Lock-Ez graphite spray lubricant. I also recommend using this afterwards to free things up and repel water. (Warm) Lock-Ez and a warm key has been the best solution for my frozen locks in the past.

Thawing a horizontal lock cylinder is sometimes a long process. Thawing a vertical one could be more so. Have patience and you should eventually prevail.

Farmbanker
02-20-2013, 12:04 PM
You'll probably get lots of advice. Here's mine:

1. Do not use WD-40...it will dry out the lock and make things worse.
2. You can have a plain key made (Ilco #107?) and heat that to get throught the ice. It could take several tries. It won't start the Spyder but it will turn the lock.
3. Be careful with external heat...there are some plastic parts wires, etc. in that area.
4. If you try a lock-thawing spray, heat it in some warm water before using it. Keep it in a warm pocket until you use it.
5. Same thing goes for Lock-Ez graphite spray lubricant. I also recommend using this afterwards to free things up and repel water. (Warm) Lock-Ez and a warm key has been the best solution for my frozen lock in the past.

Thawing a horizontal lock cylinder is sometimes a long process. Thawing a vertical one could be more so. Have patience and you should eventually prevail.

:agree:. I have to admit I have a lot of respect for anyone riding around here in this weather. Brrrrr!

jerpinoy
02-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Nancystoy got the best advice. Go back and read it again. If I can add keep it covered.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-20-2013, 12:56 PM
If it were my problem, I would follow Scotty's advice and get a " Dummy " key ( no chip ). Then I would put that key in a small narrow nose vice-grip ( Home Depot sells cheapo's for $ 3.99 ), and use a propane torch to heat it up ( once started they usually do not blow out in the wind, nor do they burn your fingers )....I believe Lock-eze is Alcohol based and that's how it de-ices the cylinder.....take your time with this.....and after success .....cover the lock when out in inclement weather .....a piece of duct tape will work........But you do have to dry out that cylinder or it will more than likely re-freeze.......Good Luck ,Mike :thumbup:

NancysToy
02-20-2013, 01:06 PM
If it were my problem, I would follow Scotty's advice and get a " Dummy " key ( no chip ). Then I would put that key in a small narrow nose vice-grip ( Home Depot sells cheapo's for $ 3.99 ), and use a propane torch to heat it up ( once started they usually blow out in the wind, nor do they burn your fingers )....I believe Lock-eze is Alcohol based and that's how it de-ices the cylinder.....take your time with this.....and after success .....cober the lock when out in inclement weather .....a piece of duct tape will work........But you do have to dry out that cylinder or it will more than likely re-freeze.......Good Luck ,Mike :thumbup:
You should also lubricate it with a non-drying lock lube, like Lock-Ez, after it is thawed, cleaned, and dried. WD-40 is pretty good for cleaning and displacing moisture, but it removes the lubrication, so must be followed up with a graphite lock lubricant. My locksmith friend taught me that trick.

Bob Denman
02-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Ilco's X270 Blank is the hot ticket for making up a dummy key! :thumbup:

Chupaca
02-20-2013, 03:24 PM
All great suggestions, I have to go with the need to clean out the lock first. Sounds like you have tried a lot of products and though the water thaws the other accumulations stay behind and refreeze. Once clean follow suggestions above..:ohyea:

NancysToy
02-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Ilco's X270 Blank is the hot ticket for making up a dummy key! :thumbup:

Thanks Bob! I drew a blank (old-timer's disease) and couldn't find it in a quick search. I have corrected my original post.

oldgoat
02-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Back when I used to live in Winnipeg I had a Hillman that I could not unlock in the winter..

Wow. That takes me back in time. We had friends in Calgary with one in '65.

NancysToy
02-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Wow. That takes me back in time. We had friends in Calgary with one in '65.

Hilman Minx...four on the tree shifter. That was fun to learn!

rock
02-21-2013, 09:22 PM
although the items you are using are designed to thaw the key hole... the by product of these items will freeze...after the product dissapates, they leave a residue that will build up and cause you issues...sounds like you need to thoroughly clean all that gunk out of the ignition, get a cover of some type and make sure it is water proof....hopefully it is not to late and no damage was done to the ignition...

Bob Denman
02-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Since BRP knows how to build stuff that's gonna be out in the elements; I honestly believe that this is just a matter of digging all of the goo :shocked: out of it, and shielding it from future monsoons...

PatGund
02-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Ack. This happened to me this morning (temp is -1C / 30F). Looking though options now. An ignition switch cover seems to make more sense.

Bob Denman
02-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Is it "frozen", to where it doesn't move; or is it just gummed-up? :dontknow:
Good Luck! :thumbup:

PatGund
02-04-2014, 01:31 PM
Is it "frozen", to where it doesn't move; or is it just gummed-up? :dontknow:
Good Luck! :thumbup:

Frozen in that the key doesn't even go all the way down into the lock.

ARtraveler
02-04-2014, 03:15 PM
I would not use heat on the key. It might damage the chip. How is the switch working in warmer weather? I tend to agree with others about the gunk buildup.

Oooooooooooops. did not think of that. :thumbup: Right on also, about the gunk buildup.

Bob Denman
02-04-2014, 03:29 PM
If you don't have access to an enclosed, heated space; I'd try some lock de-icer... :thumbup:
But I'd also try to find a way to cover up the switch; so as to prevent water from causing this again!

PatGund
02-04-2014, 04:51 PM
If you don't have access to an enclosed, heated space; I'd try some lock de-icer... :thumbup:
But I'd also try to find a way to cover up the switch; so as to prevent water from causing this again!

I don't have a garage, so it's going to have to be the latter. Trying to figure out a cover or something I can place over the switch when parked in cold or rainy weather. (the rainy part being pretty much most of the year here in the Pacific Northwet)

Bob Denman
02-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Measure the outside diameter of the switch...
I was thinking that a furniture store might have a rubber cap that'd fit... :thumbup:

OJ UK
02-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Hmmmm.....I'm last as usual!
I'm an ex-member of the British Locksmiths Institute.
I agree with all that Scotty has said. WD40 and locks don't make happy bedfellows.
I think I would flush the lock out with isopropyl alcohol and as you can't turn it upside down
blow it out fairly gently with an airline. Do this a couple of times. Then lubricate the
lock with a dry graphite lubricant....don't know what brand names you have over there.

As a footnote to any interested party, WD40 should not be squirted into any tumbler type
lock, be it pin tumbler or disc tumbler as after a while it leaves a sticky
residue which can seize the tumblers. It's a no-no! With lever locks it's fine.

NancysToy
02-04-2014, 07:23 PM
A heated key can thaw a lock that is filled with ice. With the advent of smart keys, heating over a lighter is no longer a good iead...use hot water. It may take several tires, inserting key, letting it sit, then trying it. Use a good graphite lock spray after that to dry it out.

Bob Ledford
02-04-2014, 08:15 PM
I go with Nancy'sToy aka Scotty. But substitute just plain graphite powder. If you get it on anything use plain water to crack it or remove it.

A plain old fashioned hair drier will or should dry the dry all that junk you polluted the lock cylinder up with. When I was a teenager the local parts manager where my Dad worked taught me how to repair lock cylinders and back then (1959) graphite powder was the lubricant of the day. When I apprenticed at the local newspaper after graduating the guy I worked with taught me how to clean or stop slippery floor syndrome around Linotype machines as we used graphite by the pound there.

Sounds like you maybe in the Quad-Cities area?

Bob Denman
02-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Chipped keys and heat... :yikes:
You're playing with fire!

Yelhelp
02-05-2014, 08:39 AM
:agree: You may have inadvertently gunked things up in there... :shocked: I honestly don't know how you would go about undoing what has been done; perhaps a call to a locksmith for some advice? :dontknow:

I have been a locksmith for 25 years in NY and I can say with certainty people using WD40 on locks was one of the things that paid my wages. WD 40 works for a lot of things BUT USING IT IN A CLOD CLIMATE IN THE WINTER ON LOCKS.
WD40 is an alcohol base lubricant when the alcohol dissipates it leaves a film that when cold plays hell on the wafers that are in a lock. The spring is very small and does not have the force needed to move everything needed to line up so the key can turn.

You may be able to use some brake clean (a little) to clean that gunk out then follow the advise of Dave carry a cover and or lamonts key could do it. I use a Teflon base lubricant "triflow" the best stuff I have found by a long shot.
Now with all that said it may come down to having a new ignition put in because of the electronic aspect of these switches.:banghead:

Bob Denman
02-05-2014, 08:42 AM
WD-40 also doesn't work too well in firearms... :gaah:

harrypottar
02-05-2014, 09:34 AM
http://youtu.be/APl0edZ8gI8

Bob Denman
02-05-2014, 09:47 AM
There's only two absolutely necessary tools:
Duct Tape; for when it moves, and it shouldn't...
WD-40; for when it doesn't move, and needs to!
:D

Barlock
02-05-2014, 03:00 PM
There's only two absolutely necessary tools:
Duct Tape; for when it moves, and it shouldn't...
WD-40; for when it doesn't move, and needs to!
:D

That is funny, Bob, that you suggest WD-40 after so many people (and especially locksmiths) said it was a No-No for locks!

PatGund
02-05-2014, 04:01 PM
My local Spyder dealer suggested using a key deicer in the short term, and making sure a light amount of lube is in the lock normally.

A tip from a Goldwing rider up in BC also suggested getting one of those reusable hand warmers, activating it, and holding it on the lock for about five minutes.

finless
02-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Dry graphite lube is great for locks and keys! Locksmith's use it (I use to be one).
Clean out the gunk, lube it with graphite and see if that helps.

Bob

Bob Denman
02-05-2014, 05:39 PM
That is funny, Bob, that you suggest WD-40 after so many people (and especially locksmiths) said it was a No-No for locks!
Is that considered "Irony"? :dontknow: :D

Cavman
02-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Upon doing some research, I found a couple of websites that sell the key blank. The first one sells only to Locksmiths. The second one I think sells to the general public. Wow, what a mark up. Amazon wanted over $14 and a hardware company wanted about $35 for the same key.

Bob Denman
02-05-2014, 05:52 PM
That's about what I paid, when I bought a bunch of them...
My advice; buy them up, and we'll have to let members in here know, that a safe place to procure them exists in here... :2thumbs:
Can you post a link to that site? Thanks!

R FUN
02-09-2014, 04:24 PM
I once had a problem with my windows freezing up. I told a friend and he said just pour hot water on it. Now my computer dont work at all,LOL.

Motorcycledave
02-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Maybe you could pour Scotch on it .... that always thaws me out a good shot of Scotch. :clap: