PDA

View Full Version : Planning first long ride: Interstate vs back roads

Johnny_Swindle
02-18-2013, 10:08 PM
My wife and I are planning our first "long" ride to San Antonio, Tx in July. My question is: use the interstate or use back roads when possible.

Thanks for your input.

Johnny

otter28169
02-18-2013, 10:10 PM
If I had a GPS, I would definitely take the back roads. :thumbup:

flamingobabe
02-18-2013, 10:12 PM
back roads are always more scenic...but some times you just have to take the Interstates....what your time frame

NancysToy
02-18-2013, 10:15 PM
That pretty much depends on you, and what you are most comfortable with. Also on what you want out of the trip. If the goal is to get there as soon as you can, and enjoy the destination, the Interstate is the ticket if you are comfortable there. If you are uncomfortable there, or you want to spend your time seeing the sights and meeting the people, take the leisurely approach. There are no rules, just do what you think you will enjoy the most...or mix it up and do a little of each.

SpyderAnn01
02-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Are you at all familiar with the back road route? Just be sure to map out gas stops and things like that. You don't want to run out of gas or get stuck with no place to stay.

The back roads are fun especially when there is something to see along the way. Sometimes though you just need to make some time on the expressway.

Blue Star
02-18-2013, 10:39 PM
That pretty much depends on you, and what you are most comfortable with. Also on what you want out of the trip. If the goal is to get there as soon as you can, and enjoy the destination, the Interstate is the ticket if you are comfortable there. If you are uncomfortable there, or you want to spend your time seeing the sights and meeting the people, take the leisurely approach. There are no rules, just do what you think you will enjoy the most...or mix it up and do a little of each.

:agree: when I went to SITR in 2012 I took the back road up there, and the slab coming home. It worked out really good this way.
PS :welcome:

lyonsden
02-18-2013, 10:39 PM
We try to take the back roads most of the time. Sometimes we don't make very good time but we sure have a good time! Most of the time the destination is not really all that important. On a spyder the travel part, can be the best part.:yes:

Bonniele
02-18-2013, 11:00 PM
My wife and I are planning our first "long" ride to San Antonio, Tx in July. My question is: use the interstate or use back roads when possible.

Thanks for your input.

Johnny

We are planning to take the long way to Spyder Fest via Tucson, AZ and San Antonio,TX. Looks like we'll be doing both...back roads when possible although the weather and the time frame may factor the most. Want to see The Alamo and visit relatives. Remind me...we should be home about the 11th of May. Will let you know how we did. (P.S. This will be our first "long ride" as we've never gone more than 200 miles at once before. We have 2500 miles on each now...and LOV"N them.

ABQAndy
02-18-2013, 11:51 PM
I always avoid the interstate when possible. Usually a lot less stressful and scenic on the back roads. I enjoy traveling at a little slower speed so I can enjoy the ride and not have 18 wheelers beside me all the time.

revjvegas
02-19-2013, 12:01 AM
I find what usually happens for me is I plan a back road/long way scenic route to my destination, then take the interstate/fastest way home.

We just got back from a Houston to Fredericksburg trip; 585 miles all total.

Do what you feel comfortable with and if you're going to be taking the path less traveled, consider also carrying an extra gallon of fuel just in case that next gas stop turns out to be further than you expected.

Chupaca
02-19-2013, 12:40 AM
I think you have gotten good answers. Myself (as many) will do scenic route getting there a short route home. Do check weather and distances between fuel stops. If possible for now try to keep the scenic close to the freeways. When your really comfortable venture out.. Have a great trip, loved traveling the back roads of Texas.:thumbup:

Arr MiHardies
02-19-2013, 01:19 AM
I think a lot of it also depends on your timeframe. I took a lot of back roads to SITR last year, but I will only have time for interstates to get to the owners event. :/

Captain Fin
02-19-2013, 06:40 AM
Slow down and enjoy the ryde. You can hear your spyder and enjoy the beauty on the back roads. The air even smells better. Just carry a little extra fuel.

murphybrown
02-19-2013, 06:47 AM
Whenever I travel on Ms Spyder I look for all the backroads...hidden jewels...most time I check a site like motorcycle roads .. I also will post on SL's when I am getting to "departure" time and ask for input from SL's about what to do/see/etc. .. ALWAYS get wonderful suggestions and had the pleasure of becoming friends with some incredible Spyder ryders...for the me the most important is the journey and the folks I meet...destination? Oh sure, eventually. (If I have a "gotta make appointment"..then interstate works)..:yes:

Bob Denman
02-19-2013, 07:52 AM
The good advice here boils down to:
How much time do you have?
The Interstate route will save on time...
Backroads will give you more to talk about when you get there...

How comfortable are you on these two different styles of roadway?
Since I'm always rushed; I'll hit the slabs just to make time... Then I'll mix in some inventive routes for the return trip.
(Just as others have suggested)

steve635
02-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Wow, just checked your profile to see where you were leaving from and Shazam! It's Ponchatoula, LA! I didn't realize there was another SpyderLover in Ponchatoula. Anyway, when going to San Antonio, I'd recommend taking I-10 so that you'll have more time to enjoy the backroads around San Antonio once you get there. You'll be on the fringe of the Texas Hill Country and can continue west to Kerrville in 45 mins. From there you can take some excellent backroads up to Fredricksberg and Lukenbach, with great curves and breathtaking scenery. I've ridden motorcycles through most of the lower 48, and these are some of my favorite roads anywhere. Just be extra careful in the early morning and late afternoon as there are more deer than anyplace I've ever seen.

Oldmanzues
02-19-2013, 09:35 AM
I would add have a paper map with you. You can find your self on it. Then find nearest interstate interchange if you need gas or lodging. Many small town gas stations have a limited food menu. GPS unit are nice, if you know where you want to go.
Oldmanzues

daveinva
02-19-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm a mixer, I always do both.

The general rule is, if the backroads are interesting (read: twisty, scenic and rustic), I'll do the backroads. Out here on the East Coast, you usually can't go wrong with the backroads.

But if I'm in the middle of prairieland, just flat and straight, I'll usually stick to the interstate. Basically, anything west of Columbus, Ohio, and I'm sticking to the highways more often than not.

Pennyrick
02-19-2013, 11:39 AM

Thanks for your input.

Johnny

Johnny: We usually plan out the trip using back roads completely and then just wander. On the back roads there are many things to stop and see and that usually kills your average speed. So to be on the safe side, we always map out an alternative route that involves major highways or interstates.

An example was a trip we took last year on the Blue Ridge Parkway from one end to the other. On the way south we found we were waaaayyy behind schedule so we left the Parkway and headed over to highway 221 that parallels the Blue Ridge. If necessary we could have also used Interstate 81 but 221 had a 55 mph limit so it fit the bill fine.

Similarly, we had to take I-75 north out of Florida coming home on another trip to make up time. Not as much fun but it got the job done.

AlamoRyder
02-19-2013, 12:01 PM
We ive in SATX and there are more beautiful excursions close around here into the “hill county” than you will ever have time to do. Kerrville/Fredricksburg/Luckenbach and of course the “Twisted Sisters” (Tx Hwys 335, 336, 337) near Leaky are jewels to behold. Get here quick and enjoy what the area has within your reach. There is nothing like the Texas Hill Country for hospitality and scenery. We thank our lucky stars for where we live everyday. Today it is going to be 70 degrees and clear skys. Heaven!:thumbup:

ARtraveler
02-19-2013, 04:27 PM
I also agree that it is pretty much up to you.

Speed vs. Leisure.
Sometimes the scenery is better on the back roads.

Do take into account the warnings about gas or lodging. The situation will vary from place to place.

When I can, I try to do a little of both. Will generally go one way and return via an alternate route if possible. This has always worked for me in the lower 48.

In AK: sometimes we are lucky to just have one road to where we are going. Side roads can be dangerous or impassible after a few miles.

thehawk
02-19-2013, 04:35 PM
I find what usually happens for me is I plan a back road/long way scenic route to my destination, then take the interstate/fastest way home.

We just got back from a Houston to Fredericksburg trip; 585 miles all total.

Do what you feel comfortable with and if you're going to be taking the path less traveled, consider also carrying an extra gallon of fuel just in case that next gas stop turns out to be further than you expected.

glad we got to meet you in Brenham. hope you had a great trip.

thehawk

spydrluvr
02-19-2013, 05:00 PM

Thanks for your input.

Johnny

I am a back roads kinda gal....unless I need to get to someplace in a quick hurry. But cruising on the backroads, through the small towns, and farmers fields..:thumbup: That's what it's all about. Which ever you choose, enjoy the ryde:yes: and be very safe :lecturef_smilie:
:yes::ohyea::yes::ohyea::yes::ohyea:

Rockwall
02-19-2013, 05:07 PM
See as much of the little, wide open spaces as you can. That is what wheelin is all about! My dream ride would be to cover the entire country and never hit an interstate. Real life won't allow it, but someday...:doorag:

budro
02-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Back roads are very cool, BUT the slab has no driveways or side roads to contend with.

Johnny_Swindle
02-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Lots of great information......

I had been "stalking" for a while and I had already incorporated almost all of your suggestions into my current plan by reading the exploits of the various members on this site. I am comfortable on the interstate (in fact, I picked up my spyder in Tallahassee, Fl and rode it with my wife following all the way back to Louisiana) but I do agree with ABQAndy. Spending an extended period of time next to an 18 wheeler is right up there with getting a root canal.

NancysToy
02-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Lots of great information......

I had been "stalking" for a while and I had already incorporated almost all of your suggestions into my current plan by reading the exploits of the various members on this site. I am comfortable on the interstate (in fact, I picked up my spyder in Tallahassee, Fl and rode it with my wife following all the way back to Louisiana) but I do agree with ABQAndy. Spending an extended period of time next to an 18 wheeler is right up there with getting a root canal.
:roflblack: A genuine motorcycling root canal is riding the center of five lanes of I-80 outside Chicago, sandwiched between semis that are traveling 20 over the speed limit...although I hear parts of I-10 aren't much better. :roflblack:

Rockwall
02-19-2013, 08:14 PM
You clearly have spent some time on our local highways! They make you long for the back roads.

jScotD
02-19-2013, 08:30 PM
In my riding days I always chose the blue highways as much as possible..

on I-10 that trip is only 510 miles// and 7 hrs there about.. But You have to drive in Houston traffic.. it's been over 20 years since I worked there.. and traffic was a nightmare then.... I remember on highway 10, locked in traffic, at 80 mph, on my BMW MC and a pickup in front of me had a 50 gallon drum with a lid on it... daNcInG... then it blew off in front of me .. no where to go.. timed it perfectly and ran over it when it started , yet another time on it's flat side..

May I suggest the long route? Austin has some great back roads

however.. sometimes back roads lead you to the unexpected.. like when I was trying to cross the Continental Divide on a dirt road the maps called highway 60

Osros
02-19-2013, 09:29 PM
however.. sometimes back roads lead you to the unexpected.. like when I was trying to cross the Continental Divide on a dirt road the maps called highway 60

Agree

Prior to my trips I would use Google Maps and use the camera view small person icon to zoom in to those unknown areas to see how the road looks like I found some dirt and gravel roads I would have ran into. I just adjust my route prior.

Funny in my Jeep trips I look for the dirt and gravel roads now on Spyder Im avoiding them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD